650R Edlebrock Carb Questions...

29 replies to this topic
  • motopsycho650

Posted January 27, 2007 - 08:30 PM

So I think in the next month or so I'm going to bite the bullet and get an Edlebrock carb. I've heard the Quik Silver talked about a lot, but what is the difference with the Performer. Is it a newer, re-vamped version of the Quik Silver?

• pgiinc

Posted January 27, 2007 - 09:16 PM

same carb

• motopsycho650

Posted January 28, 2007 - 07:26 AM

Any ideas what a good initial setup on the Edlebrock would be?

I want to set the new card up to run at a base elevation of 5000ft., but it's not uncommon for me to get up over 10,000ft. in the summer.

Right now I'm running the stock carb, HRC Needle (4th spot from top), a 170 main, and a 70S pilot (about 1.5 turns out). My airbox is opened up quite a bit, with a cut out side panel and a Twin Air Power Flow Kit. I'm running the HRC intake manifold, and the HRC Spark Arrestor.

I'm curious as to which needle to start with, and approx. how many turns to adjust the needle height?

• danbart

Posted January 28, 2007 - 07:38 AM

Start w/ the 17E needle and about 12 clicks out. The carb should come w/ 3 needles: 17E, 19E, 21E.

Then do a test run and check your sparkplug.

I started of w/ the recommended 17E and 10 clicks out, but after a test run noticed that it was running too rich when checking the plug, and that was a couple of days ago when it was fairly cold. In the summer I'll probably have to lean it out even more.

Hope this helps. Dan

• motopsycho650

Posted January 28, 2007 - 07:48 AM

Start w/ the 17E needle and about 12 clicks out. The carb should come w/ 3 needles: 17E, 19E, 21E.

Then do a test run and check your sparkplug.

I started of w/ the recommended 17E and 10 clicks out, but after a test run noticed that it was running too rich when checking the plug, and that was a couple of days ago when it was fairly cold. In the summer I'll probably have to lean it out even more.

Hope this helps. Dan

I think that might help. One of the reasons I haven't done a carb yet is because I didn't want to re-learn the in and outs of the new carb. I took awhile for me to perfect the stock carb (as perfect as the stocker can be).

I saw that you're in CO too. Just for fun, what is your setup? airbox (sidepanel cutout?), filter, exhaust, etc.?

That info might help too. Thanx Justin

Hey, P.S. By what you're saying, a "click out" adjusts the carb leaner?

• danbart

Posted January 28, 2007 - 01:56 PM

03 XR650R

Uncorcked
Stock exhaust w/ freeflow tip
opened airbox, but no side cutouts.
Unifilter, no spark screen

The Edelbrcok carb has an adjustment knob that you turn (clicks) in or out to raise or lower (make leaner or richer)the needle in the carb w/out opening up the card. The knob offers 32 clicks of adjustment.

Hope this helps, Dan

• creeky

Posted January 28, 2007 - 02:13 PM

I took my son's 650R, Edelbrock, Honda power-up kit, to Taylor Park last year. It has the 19E needle 20 clicks out installed for riding here at home, elev. 400-900 ft. At Taylor Park, I leaned the adjuster 4 clicks and it ran very well except at WFO at the higher end of the rev range where it was a tad rich. I think the 17E needle would have been about right.

• frankstr

Posted January 28, 2007 - 06:47 PM

Your going to love the difference, :ride:

:ride: :ride:

• InternalCombustion

Posted January 28, 2007 - 06:49 PM

My 650 has a full ProCircuit T4 system, opened airbox with a Twin-air filter, vented side panel, otherwise stock. My QS is set with the #19 needle, 18 clicks out on the MAT. All of my riding is between 1000-1500'.

If you order yours from Barnum's, Rob with set it up with the right needle for your bike's current state of tune. Once you decide you have the right needle, all you need to do for extreme altitude changes is adjust the MAT a few clicks.

I realy like the QS, absolutely awesome throttle response.

I hope this helps.

• Red_Chili

Posted January 29, 2007 - 07:44 AM

I'm in Denver, I concur with the settings above. Rob set mine up and I went two clicks leaner than shipped, about 10. Airbox cover drilled, drilled stock arrestor, stock motor. Runs great.

The starting ritual is different. Take it to TDC, decomp and a bit more movement, a few squirts, and one-two kick. However, be sure to crank up the idle to start cold. I rode the other day and stopped at a Yammie shop for this-n-that, and 20 minutes was enough time for the motor to cool down and require cranking up the idle again. (however, it was FREAKING cold out. Shouldn't be a problem in the summer.)

Rob tells me the accellerator bellows is a bit vulnerable when it's really cold out. I plan on ordering a spare.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • daddyk

Posted February 07, 2007 - 07:14 PM

I just picked up a Quicksilver Tues. I called up Edlebrock tech support to try to find a manual for the thing and they made it sound like the Quicksilver was an antique and the Performer is a totally new design.They were checking with Manufacturing to see if they had any manuals left for it.In case they don't come up with anything,anyone know were I can download a manual?

• InternalCombustion

Posted February 07, 2007 - 07:45 PM

PM me with your email addy and I'll send you a PDF copy of the manual. Its a large file (5+ MB).

• InternalCombustion

Posted February 07, 2007 - 07:48 PM

So, anybody know what's different between the "old" POS Quicksilver (that I paid near $400 for only 2 years ago) and the "shiney new" Performer?

On second though, who cares! I love my "old" POS Quicksilver.

• gaspipe

Posted February 07, 2007 - 07:59 PM

I had one of the old, vintage non-pumper ones on my old 620 RXC and it wasn't a happy experience. That bike has an FCR 41 pumper on it now.

My XR650R has one of the new ones on it and it works quite nicely.

• daddyk

Posted February 08, 2007 - 08:31 AM

Mine is a pumper so it's not that old. It's got a brown bellows over the pump instead of black one on the new ones.Judging by the exterior appearance and the look of the slide it hasn't had much use at all.I've read of some problems with float sticking but other than that people are mostly happy with them. It fit on with no problems and cables hooked up to the throttle fine.I just have to get some new fuel line and see if this thing works tonite. Hopefully I'll get a manual for it just in case, it's got some kind of a screw on the side of float bowl that I don't know what it does.

• InternalCombustion

Posted February 08, 2007 - 08:40 AM

daddyk, I just emailed your QS manual. Lemme know if you didn't get it.

• creeky

Posted February 08, 2007 - 09:15 AM

I had one of the old, vintage non-pumper ones on my old 620 RXC and it wasn't a happy experience. That bike has an FCR 41 pumper on it now.

My XR650R has one of the new ones on it and it works quite nicely.

On the other side of the coin, I ran the older non-pumper on my '96 XR628 and it worked extremely well. I have the same carb (modified somewhat) on my '00 WR400 and it too runs great.

• daddyk

Posted February 08, 2007 - 08:02 PM

Thanks InternalCombustion,got the manual saved and printed.Got the carb hooked up. Pumped it 5 times, kicked twice, fired right up! It dropped right down to a steady idle.Took it for a spin around the neighborhood very responsive off the bottom. Front end comes right up first,second and third with just a twist of the wrist.It's about 8 PM can't do to much banzai around, can't wait to give it a more prolonged test.

• InternalCombustion

Posted February 09, 2007 - 05:51 AM

Thanks InternalCombustion,got the manual saved and printed.Got the carb hooked up. Pumped it 5 times, kicked twice, fired right up! It dropped right down to a steady idle.Took it for a spin around the neighborhood very responsive off the bottom. Front end comes right up first,second and third with just a twist of the wrist.It's about 8 PM can't do to much banzai around, can't wait to give it a more prolonged test.

Primo!

Doesn't get much better than that, does it? The power of that bike never ceases to amaze me. After about my first year of riding that bike with stock gearing (on almost all paved roads / interstate) I finally went to a 15/45 setup a few months ago. She just kept telling me wanted longer legs. Now, hoo-wee.

Ride safe and enjoy!

• jesusgatos

Posted February 09, 2007 - 12:19 PM

InternalCombustion-
I'd sure appreciate a copy of that PDF. I sent you a PM.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.