Fork Seal

6 replies to this topic
  • DAVID146

Posted January 27, 2007 - 07:12 PM

I have been having trouble with my front fork seals on a 06 450. I am on my third set in 2 months. I understand from my Sup guy, that the seals the oem are useing now have a lesser retaining ability due to the larger forks and the after market quys have not got a handle on it yet for the 06 07 models. So we are back to oem on the third set all under his warranty. Does anyone have a solution?

• 02YZ426

Posted January 27, 2007 - 07:27 PM

I just put a set of factory connection seals in my 06 and they seem to be a much tighter fit than oem. What other seals have you tried aftermarket?

• Scooter33

Posted January 27, 2007 - 07:40 PM

Usally this is a sign that you need new bushings, but the bike is so new that shouldn't be the case. The next time you change them I would check the bushings just in case. If your a bigger guy you could try a little bit heavier weight oil. 5w will find its way out easier than 7.5 or 10.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bluerider31

Posted January 27, 2007 - 07:52 PM

Put seal savers on next time. I have had my bike over a year now and never had any leaks.

• grayracer513

Posted January 27, 2007 - 09:09 PM

The OEM seals are not impressive looking. Read:

http://www.thumperta...938#post4273938

If this fails to hold up well, I'll look into Synergy Seals.

Be sure to critically inspect for any vertical scratches or nicks that you can feel with a fingernail. Sand them out in a cross hatch pattern with 320-600 grit wet/dry. Failure to do so may cause a repeat of the leak.

• cappy79

Posted January 27, 2007 - 09:11 PM

do the factory connection seals cause too much friction/stiction? I remember some aftermarket seals in the '70's that actually slowed the forks down? Husqvarna used to say a little weeping was good for fork action. Just wondering

• Ga426owner

Posted January 28, 2007 - 08:49 AM

do the factory connection seals cause too much friction/stiction? I remember some aftermarket seals in the '70's that actually slowed the forks down? Husqvarna used to say a little weeping was good for fork action. Just wondering

Bingo...maybe this is what Yamaha was thinking with the oem seals..:ride:
Synergy or FC are the way to go in my opinion..unless you like swapping seals every 5 or 6 hrs:excuseme:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.