How to add fork oil?

25 replies to this topic
  • Markopolo400

Posted January 29, 2007 - 11:08 AM

I used to use a piece of PVC, then I invested in a TUSK fork seal driver from Rocky Mountain for $39.99.

When I first used it, I actually thought to myself..."It can't be that easy..."

I'll never put in new fork seals without a seal driver and an oil level tool. Makes it soooooo much easier.

• tammie

Posted January 29, 2007 - 11:43 AM

yah the only thing i havn't touch on my bike now is the bottem end and i figured they shouldn't be a problem for me....... thanx for the vote of confidence, I actually enjoy working on my bike unlike other females who get there significant others or shop to do it(not saying all but many do). Mostly I just don't want to pay shop fees for stuff and I want to be self sufficient and confident i can fix a small problem on the trail if i need to ....... and im interested in how it works, ive always like to take things apart, starting from a little kid, my parents always found with me with a screw driver taking something apart hahahah once it was the toaster.......maybe i should have been a mechanic or something like that..........

• Supafreak_711

Posted January 29, 2007 - 02:01 PM

I made one out of a $3.75 rubber pipe connector that worked like a charm. I'll try to get a pic the next time I'm home.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • husqy360

Posted November 04, 2008 - 05:33 PM

I made one out of a $3.75 rubber pipe connector that worked like a charm. I'll try to get a pic the next time I'm home.

did you ever got the pic?

• boaz

Posted November 04, 2008 - 10:20 PM

I'm the happy owner of a WR400 and I do my oil+seals in a diffrent way than some others:
I leave the forks on the bike - it holds the outer tube and makes it ezy to install the seals.
I use a rattel gun to undo the compression base valve - that way all the oil is out - incloding from the damper.
The oil is filled by amount - 560 cc's in my case - not by hight.
Be sure to bleed the air out of the damper - by pulling its rod - you will feel it starting to work.

I work as a diesel mechanic so I may do things a bit ruff....

• Tomy Speedy

Posted April 18, 2012 - 03:34 PM

What are the effects of adding too much fork oil?
Would it cause the forks to leak after new seals have been installed or would it just stiffen up the shocks more than usual?

Related Content

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.