how to tard a xr650r... step by step??

8 replies to this topic
  • black in RI

Posted January 26, 2007 - 08:45 PM

i have a line on a xr650 r '96 bone stock excpet for a slip on exhaust.

to tard it properly step by step would etail what to do it properly?

obviously a set of rims but do i haveto buy hubs as wel brake set up etc.??

jet the carb?
full exhaust?
redo suspension?
case gaurds?
etc etc.. i'm alittle on the unknowledgeable side to know what needs to be done so any help step by step with price what should be done first, second etc. would be appreciated

and about 2200$ for a clean street legal 1996 xr650r a good price?

• Thumpmeister

Posted January 27, 2007 - 01:23 AM

1996 XR 650 R ???? What're you smokin buddy?

• black in RI

Posted January 27, 2007 - 05:08 AM

bad deal or just silly for 96 to be tarded.. give me feedback here. bike also comes withelectric start

• pburke

Posted January 27, 2007 - 05:23 AM

bad deal or just silly for 96 to be tarded.. give me feedback here. bike also comes withelectric start

he meant to say that there is no '96 650R

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • black in RI

Posted January 27, 2007 - 09:05 AM

ha.. i get it.. i meant 600

• jmytyk

Posted January 27, 2007 - 11:10 PM

tons of info over there for the BRP- i have an in progress write up for fitting cast wheels onto it

• dukeryder

Posted January 28, 2007 - 05:33 PM

That e-start must be aftermarket. If it's an R it's a 600R otherwise it's a 650L. I've got a 'tarded 650L just check my Garage and you can see all that's been done. Set a budget, I've got more into mine than a new DRZ400SM but I probably would've ended up putting $$$$ into one of those too.

You can run some cheng shins for Dirt cheap $$ on the stock rims and get damn good grip, you just won't get that sharp turn in like ya wood with the 17s (and a little less grip).

Here's a list in the Order I'd do it
1. Accquire bike
2. Get in top running order (Jetting, etc)
3. 17' Excel Wheels laced to stock hubs & tires of your choice (I like Distanzias)
4. 320mm Rotor
5. Fork Brace
6. Eibach Springs front and rear

That's about all you really need the rest is just farkles

• InternalCombustion

Posted January 28, 2007 - 06:30 PM

Black in R1, appologies for some of us who put our cranky-pants on this morning. The 600R or the 650L both make decent and fun 'tards.

Dukeryder's list is a real good guide as it allows you to get "the look" early on and add to it as the money becomes available. Several guys on here have SM'd theirs and wound up with bitchin rides.

Main thing is remebering to wipe the silly grin off from time to time or you'll get permanent creases.

Have fun and ride safe, my man.

• cleonard

Posted January 28, 2007 - 06:50 PM

It really depends on what you want to spend. The only thing that is absolutely required is road tires. There are a few that will fit the stock rims.

Other mods in no particular order
  • Wider 17 inch rims. This gives a access to a variety of sticker tires.
  • Larger brake rotors. Makes your brakes more resistant to fading. The stock brakes can overheat quickly.
  • Gearing changes. Stock gearing may limit your top speed.
  • Suspension
Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?

Related Content

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

• 4 replies

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.