Yamaha yz 450f 06 model (clicking noice in suspension)

5 replies to this topic
  • zidster

Posted January 26, 2007 - 06:22 PM

HI Guys...

I own a yamaha yz 450f 2006 model, and have noticed alot of free play and a loud clicking noise in the rear shock, i thought it was the bearings so i have replaced all the bearings except the top bearing on the shock, it doesnt affect the bikes handling at all but just is very annoying sound when your riding, Anyone have an idea of what it may be?

• Reyndogg

Posted January 26, 2007 - 08:06 PM

when i first read this, i thought shock bearing right off.

If the bike is on a stand and you try to lift/push the swingarm, can you replicate this noise/feeling?

Im betting it's the shock bearing.

Good luck and do report back if you get a chance.

• zidster

Posted January 26, 2007 - 08:53 PM

Yes i can make the noise when it is on the stand buy lifting up the swingarm!!

Is the top shock bearing the same as the bottom shock bearing which joins in the linkage?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted January 26, 2007 - 09:22 PM

No, it's usually a spherical bearing, while the lower one is a roller.

If you can duplicate the noise on the stand, have someone produce the noise while you try to isolate the source.

• zidster

Posted January 26, 2007 - 09:35 PM

ok thanks heaps, but as far as identifying the noise its really hard to pin point it, i think i will put a new bearing in the top shock and go from there.

• grayracer513

Posted January 26, 2007 - 09:46 PM

If you can put your fingers on the pivot points, bearings, etc., you can often actually either feel the slack that's causing the noise, or stop or change the way it sounds.

Related Content

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.