05 wr 450 3rd gear slipping

14 replies to this topic
  • drzjay400e

Posted January 26, 2007 - 04:12 PM

well i was cutting a berm in 3rd gear and now it slips a little. I can't use 3rd gear because it slips then catches then slips then....etc. All the other gears work perfectly. Has this happen to anyone else and if so what was the prognoses and outcome.:ride:

• DB_Cooper

Posted January 26, 2007 - 05:00 PM

If You Like To Shift Without The Clutch..this Is Ez. You Have Rounded The "clogs" On The 3rd Gear And It Is Not Staying Engaged.
Bad News Is, Its Time To Split The Cases.
Or... Maybe Something Simple/dumb Like Your Foot Is Riding On The Shifter And Kicking It Out Of Gear?
Good Luck!

• Blaster21996

Posted January 27, 2007 - 07:51 AM

Sounds like the magnetic gear return actuator is letting go!

• drzjay400e

Posted January 27, 2007 - 06:02 PM

Sounds like the magnetic gear return actuator is letting go!

Yep along with the faulty piston return spring I don't know what to do now:bonk:

• drzjay400e

Posted January 27, 2007 - 06:08 PM

If You Like To Shift Without The Clutch..this Is Ez. You Have Rounded The "clogs" On The 3rd Gear And It Is Not Staying Engaged.
Bad News Is, Its Time To Split The Cases.
Or... Maybe Something Simple/dumb Like Your Foot Is Riding On The Shifter And Kicking It Out Of Gear?
Good Luck!

I would def invite some stupidity on my part but I think it is splitting time. :ride: Can you tell me what the "clogs" are? I would like to have some info before stepping into the shop. Thanx:thumbsup:

• drzjay400e

Posted January 28, 2007 - 09:40 AM

Someone mentioned gogs and forks. I know what the forks are but not the dogs. Any help would be appreciated>

• msgbean

Posted January 28, 2007 - 02:33 PM

More than likely you will have to replace 3d and 5th gear as they are meshed together when using third. The only fix is to split the cases and get it done.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • torqshouse

Posted January 28, 2007 - 04:04 PM

sounds like its a common problem went for a ride on my 04 wr450 and had to cut it short as I also lost third gear. Has anyone had to do this repair and have an idea of how much it could cost.

• msgbean

Posted January 28, 2007 - 04:21 PM

I replaced 3d gear, 5th gear, and the shifting fork. I did all the work myself and the parts cost me about $100. If you have the dealer do it I would assume it will cost $300-400.

• torqshouse

Posted January 28, 2007 - 04:35 PM

thanks I never split cases before so I am just sitting here on a butiful day for riding trying to figure out which way to go to fix the problem.

• drzjay400e

Posted January 28, 2007 - 05:36 PM

:ride:

I replaced 3d gear, 5th gear, and the shifting fork. I did all the work myself and the parts cost me about $100. If you have the dealer do it I would assume it will cost $300-400.

Well I see what I need to do. I am not conf. enough to slit the cases so off to the shop it goes. I really appreciate the feedback. Can you give us a list of parts and where you got them?
also how long ago did you fix the prob and how is it now?

• msgbean

Posted January 28, 2007 - 05:41 PM

It was about 6 monthes ago and I got the parts from the dealer. It ran great afterwards.

• drzjay400e

Posted February 01, 2007 - 07:29 PM

Your right on target for prices. With myself taking the motor out and bringing it down it is 300 + parts. I have all the part #'s except which fork will I have to replace?

• Blaster21996

Posted February 01, 2007 - 08:12 PM

Your right on target for prices. With myself taking the motor out and bringing it down it is 300 + parts. I have all the part #'s except which fork will I have to replace?

Man, that's a sweet AVITAR you got there DRZ/KTMer

• Pete pj

Posted February 26, 2010 - 03:11 PM

you have to split the motor get the matching dogs on 3rd gear checked ,replaced if you keep riding the bike as is youll cause major damage,my o4 450 is in the shop now getting the exact same problem repaired and the estimated cost is $2000,
good luck pete pj

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.