Loosen DR.D header to change oil filter?

12 replies to this topic
  • krony506

Posted January 26, 2007 - 02:39 PM

I want to know for sure before I buy Dr.D exhaust for my 07 450f. Do you realy have to loosen the header to change oil filter? Please anyone who knows from experiance let me know.

• grayracer513

Posted January 26, 2007 - 03:36 PM

Ours clears easily on our '06. (Standard SS system header)

• Mike McCutcheon

Posted January 26, 2007 - 03:37 PM

I've got the Lo-Boy header and carbon exhaust on my 07 450. Yes you have to loosen the header bolt and pivot the pipe up a little, but it only takes 10 seconds. The good part is the pipe is low, tucks in tight and allows for the radiator lowering kit. I like it.

• steve_97060

Posted January 26, 2007 - 06:21 PM

I've got the Lo-Boy header and carbon exhaust on my 07 450. Yes you have to loosen the header bolt and pivot the pipe up a little, but it only takes 10 seconds. The good part is the pipe is low, tucks in tight and allows for the radiator lowering kit. I like it.

How much of a difference did you notice with the rad lowering kit?

• DKLEIN

Posted January 26, 2007 - 08:43 PM

Just adjust header pipe so it clears top allen bolt on oil filter cover, then thighten all exhast bolts and your done. No more probalem.

• DPW

Posted January 26, 2007 - 09:08 PM

The best thing a guy could do if he has a DRD on his bike when changing oil is to remove the header and throw it and the muffler away, then install a good exhaust and no longer have any issues. Just MHO. :ride:

or just stick with the Standard SS system header....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mike McCutcheon

Posted January 27, 2007 - 09:31 AM

Steve, I haven't been able to ride with the radiator lowering kit yet, (bad weather) but the riders at the track who have put them on 250Fs could feel the improvement, mostly in the corners. I figured for 50 bucks it was worth a try. The kit bolts on easily and fits perfect. Radiators are 1 inch lower.

• steve_97060

Posted January 27, 2007 - 11:02 AM

Steve, I haven't been able to ride with the radiator lowering kit yet, (bad weather) but the riders at the track who have put them on 250Fs could feel the improvement, mostly in the corners. I figured for 50 bucks it was worth a try. The kit bolts on easily and fits perfect. Radiators are 1 inch lower.

I want to buy the Dr D pipe also so I can do the lowering kit, after reading about the improvements with the 250f's it sounds like an excellent cheap mod. still waiting to hear from someone who has actually had one on the 450's yet, let me know what you think after you get some ride time on yours...

thanks...

• Ranger18

Posted January 29, 2007 - 07:53 AM

The best thing a guy could do if he has a DRD on his bike when changing oil is to remove the header and throw it and the muffler away, then install a good exhaust and no longer have any issues. Just MHO. :ride:

Hey Baron, are you still happy with the MRD? I'm really thinking about getting one.

• Mike McCutcheon

Posted January 29, 2007 - 02:25 PM

Ok Steve. Weather permitting we have open practice this Sat. I'll give you my best impression Sat. eve if I get to go. Hope I feel some kind of a difference. I'm on a "low center of gravity" kick this year. I think it's gonna help with setting up and getting through corners. I need all the help I can get to run with the kids....

• eltoro65

Posted July 24, 2009 - 07:56 PM

Just adjust header pipe so it clears top allen bolt on oil filter cover, then thighten all exhast bolts and your done. No more probalem.

Yeah right! I just did my first oil change on my '08 YZ 450 with the DRD pipe and it's not as easy as they say. Why the hell, after all of Dr D's Yamaha testing, did he not think to spec this out correctly? I have to loosen the header pipe every time I do an oil filter change? This is ridiculous! Not happy about this at all. Had I known this, I would have gone with the Yosh or the FMF. Buyer beware!

• NortonMoto

Posted July 24, 2009 - 08:41 PM

I have 06 450 with first generation ss header from Dr.D not as low.Also I used yz250f radiator lowing kit its 1/2 inch higher than 450 kit and fits perfect!

• cowboyona426

Posted July 27, 2009 - 07:36 AM

I can't get my oil filter cover off with my Dr. D SS header... kind of pisses me off but oh well.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.