07 YZ250F or YZ450F That is the question

10 replies to this topic
  • Rainwater

Posted January 26, 2007 - 12:14 PM

I currently have an 03' YZ450 with flywheel, pipe and resprung/valved suspension. I am 5'8" and 150lbs and in good physical condition. I ride the bike well but am very interested in the benefits of the 07 250F or 450F. Mostly due to the vast improvements since the introduction of the bikes. I ride mostly local tracks and Glamis and occasionally desert and mountains. I do not feel that the 450 is too much for me but my ego is not so large that I would not consider going to the 250F. I hope to gain ride ability, speed, handling with out missing out on the power (too much I know I know). Most of the guys I ride with are 90lbs heavier and on 450's. Any arguments for either direction on the new bike? Thanks in advance for your input.

• George_Felix

Posted January 26, 2007 - 12:39 PM

I don't think you can beat the 250 for corner to corner. Basically the same bike with a lower C of G on the 250 and higher revving. I think the 450 would be better for desert but we got beat by a 250F at Vegas 200 and we were on an XR 650. We swapped all day and in the end the hard starting of the 650 was our undoing.

• Jaycycle

Posted January 26, 2007 - 01:02 PM

I would go for the 250F if your riding MX. I can almost promise you, you will "gain ride ability, speed, handling" with the smaller bike. I know I sure as hell did. :ride:

• grayracer513

Posted January 26, 2007 - 01:35 PM

I'm going to disagree. As an owner of all 3 of these, I think that since you already have an '03 450, the '06 450 is perfect for you. To be perfectly honest with you, it's easier to ride than any steel framed YZ250F is, and feels lighter than many two-strokes do. The power is very usable and easy to manage, and the first time you ride one, it will take you a half hour to loose the smile.

• Bigcr

Posted January 26, 2007 - 01:41 PM

If you ride Glamis, you'll regret getting a 250f.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Reyndogg

Posted January 26, 2007 - 01:44 PM

I'm going to disagree. As an owner of all 3 of these, I think that since you already have an '03 450, the '06 450 is perfect for you. To be perfectly honest with you, it's easier to ride than any steel framed YZ250F is, and feels lighter than many two-strokes do. The power is very usable and easy to manage, and the first time you ride one, it will take you a half hour to loose the smile.

I'll agree with this for sure. I went from a 03 yz250f to my 06 yz450 and was shocked at how much easier the 450 was to ride in every aspect. I didn't really think it would be as big of a difference, but it surely is. :ride:

• Rainwater

Posted January 26, 2007 - 02:17 PM

Thanks to all for the responses. I was leaning toward trying the 250F (something different) but if the new 450 is truely that refined... I'm in. Thanks again.

• Jaycycle

Posted January 26, 2007 - 02:20 PM

Will you be able to keep the 03? If so then I would keep that as your dessert bike and get the 250 as your mx bike. :ride:

• grayracer513

Posted January 26, 2007 - 03:29 PM

I ... was shocked

shocked
amazed
astounded
stunned
stupefied
dumbstruck
thunderstruck
aghast
taken aback
speechless
flabbergasted
blown away

...and by the 4th lap, I was laughing so hard I had to stop. :ride:

• Rainwater

Posted January 26, 2007 - 04:43 PM

The 03 may stay in the family. I will hand it off to my brother as he is bike less currently. We cant have that now can we.

• Bigcr

Posted January 26, 2007 - 06:45 PM

The 03 may stay in the family. I will hand it off to my brother as he is bike less currently. We cant have that now can we.

You are a good brother.:ride: :ride:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.