Loose headset bearing 06 450, question for you

4 replies to this topic
  • PAdaytonaman

Posted January 26, 2007 - 04:51 AM

I just picked up a used, 06 450 and in going over the bike, I noticed that there is a little play in the headset. I plan on tearing it down anyway, and regreasing it, but my question is should I just go ahead and order new bearing and race as a time saver since it will be torn down already, or are the chances that its damaged so small that I shouldn't spend the cash.

Thanks

• Ga426owner

Posted January 26, 2007 - 06:39 AM

I have a lot of problems with my stock headstay bearings on my 06. The seal does not seal very well. I have to regrease every 5/6hrs. I now use Amsoil Synth Grease only as Belray broke down too fast. Someone posted a fix from Yamaha on this - it may be 07 bearings and seal kit. I would go ahead an buy top and bottom bearing and reaces and new seal.
I have 20hrs on mine and they are already worn - you can feel the slop by twisting bars right to left vice versa while on the stand...I will be buying a new set also...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted January 26, 2007 - 11:28 AM

Good head bearings are expensive. I wouldn't replace them unless it was necessary. Clean them up, lube them, then over-preload them slightly and see how they feel. If they are smooth, run them (at the proper preload, of course).

• skipperlantz

Posted January 26, 2007 - 05:10 PM

From what i've seen and heard, these bearings are a problem. I havn't had a problem yet, but the seal is not up to par on these units. Yamaha has put out a better bearing and seal now so I'd say spend the cash and fix that thing.

• Reyndogg

Posted January 26, 2007 - 08:09 PM

From what i've seen and heard, these bearings are a problem. I havn't had a problem yet, but the seal is not up to par on these units. Yamaha has put out a better bearing and seal now so I'd say spend the cash and fix that thing.

i wasnt aware of that, thanks.

I definitely need a new set and seal for sure. At ~70hrs on my bike, those bearings are sacked - i've cleaned/greased them five times already and i had pro-action do them when i got my suspension done another time.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.