YZ 450 in tight woods

22 replies to this topic
  • dirtbikesonny

Posted January 25, 2007 - 09:38 PM

I currently ride a 2005 YZ 250T but am thinking about switching to a new YZ-F 250 or 450, I keep waffling. I had a 98 YZ400f back in the day, wasn't crazy about it in the woods. Ridden a 250f ,alot of fun but in certain situations I need more power(BTW I am 210lbs). I do all kinds of riding but the stuff closest to home,where I ride the most, can be pretty tight. Does anyone out there race a 450 in the woods, can you give me pointers and opinions on choice of displacement(250f ?) or bike set up on a 450 for the woods i.e. flywheel weights,rekluse,suspension etc. ? Thanks in advance.

• red7

Posted January 25, 2007 - 11:12 PM

I've never used a rekluse but I'd maybe look into if I rode what you ride. I have the GYTR 6 oz weight but had it put on at the shop so I don't know how much it helped. I don't stall that often in tight woods but am just constantly working the clutch. However, I ride mostly track or fairly open roads so I suck at really tight/technical riding. For someone experienced it might not be that big a deal especially if you put a larger rear sprocket on.

• prosports

Posted January 25, 2007 - 11:25 PM

If your riding in tight woods, you should get the Wr450. not a yz. unless your racing moto. it's all set up for off raod. more bottom power, 18 inch wheel, etc..

• dirtbikesonny

Posted January 26, 2007 - 05:00 AM

I dont want the extra weight of a wr, and I ride some moto and race some WORCS and local Hare scrambles

• Goosedog

Posted January 26, 2007 - 05:25 AM

I'm a big fan of the YZ in the woods, WR's are too heavy and slow for me. Get a newer YZ (or a 426) so it's got a 5 speed, add a 10 or 12oz flywheel weight, get the suspension reworked, maybe a steering damper and you've got the ultimate woods bike. I personally don't like the idea of the Rekluse because I like the option of using the clutch. I think I heard maybe that they have an over-ride now though.

• Radbuster

Posted January 26, 2007 - 06:19 AM

Hi,

I ride in very tight and technical woods, 190lbs and about average ability.

I've got an '03 YZ450 set up for the woods with a revalve, rekluse, armor and clake see-through tank. It's pretty good, but try to ride as smooth as possible since throwing it back and forth to change direction is tiresome and not an option.

Have tried a WR400 '00 because Dirt Bike thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. What a terrible mistake in my kind of riding, waaay too heavy and powerful and too much engine braking in the woods, especially when tired.

Next was a WR250F '01, a sweetheart in the woods and just about perfect after putting on stronger springs. On the mx track and deep sand it was way too weak because the spacing of the gears was too high. Of course the gears were perfect in the woods though.

Next was the '03 YZ450 since I wanted to ride more mx. Really good after gearing it up one on the rear and putting on a big Steahly weight.

Wanted to ride woods after a while. Stock it was almost impossible. Revalved, put on a rekluse and removed the flywheel. It turned into a wonderful trail pussycat instead of a living up to it's well-deserved angry reputation. Thanks to the rekluse, the tall 1st and the spread out gears are super. 1st for rock crawling, 2nd when tight, 3rd when moving along at a blurring pace and 4th for whoops and transport sections. The rekluse also removes the engine braking close to idle and miraculously removes about 100cc's of engine when not asked for, but the whole engine is there when asked for.

But, the C of G and weight is too high for weaving through trees and climbing rocky hills and gets exhausting.

I'm on the fence right now. :ride:

Are the new YZ450's that much lighter feeling? is a YZ250F enough? How about a KTM 300EXC? I'm not crazy about the weird suspension. Tried them and want to avoid them. GasGas EC300 comes close, but I'm under the impression that they are not as light as they could be.

Maybe a YZ250? with a big Steahly weight, revalve and IMS tank.

:applause: :ride: :ride:

Any ideas would be welcome. Later guys.

• George_Felix

Posted January 26, 2007 - 06:44 AM

Hi,

I ride in very tight and technical woods, 190lbs and about average ability.

I've got an '03 YZ450 set up for the woods with a revalve, rekluse, armor and clake see-through tank. It's pretty good, but try to ride as smooth as possible since throwing it back and forth to change direction is tiresome and not an option.

Have tried a WR400 '00 because Dirt Bike thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. What a terrible mistake in my kind of riding, waaay too heavy and powerful and too much engine braking in the woods, especially when tired.

Next was a WR250F '01, a sweetheart in the woods and just about perfect after putting on stronger springs. On the mx track and deep sand it was way too weak because the spacing of the gears was too high. Of course the gears were perfect in the woods though.

Next was the '03 YZ450 since I wanted to ride more mx. Really good after gearing it up one on the rear and putting on a big Steahly weight.

Wanted to ride woods after a while. Stock it was almost impossible. Revalved, put on a rekluse and removed the flywheel. It turned into a wonderful trail pussycat instead of a living up to it's well-deserved angry reputation. Thanks to the rekluse, the tall 1st and the spread out gears are super. 1st for rock crawling, 2nd when tight, 3rd when moving along at a blurring pace and 4th for whoops and transport sections. The rekluse also removes the engine braking close to idle and miraculously removes about 100cc's of engine when not asked for, but the whole engine is there when asked for.

But, the C of G and weight is too high for weaving through trees and climbing rocky hills and gets exhausting.

I'm on the fence right now. :ride:

Are the new YZ450's that much lighter feeling? is a YZ250F enough? How about a KTM 300EXC? I'm not crazy about the weird suspension. Tried them and want to avoid them. GasGas EC300 comes close, but I'm under the impression that they are not as light as they could be.

Maybe a YZ250? with a big Steahly weight, revalve and IMS tank.

:applause: :ride: :ride:

Any ideas would be welcome. Later guys.

I like the 250F for woods and whoops.....yes you have to squeeze the power out instead of holding the power back like a 450 but it has a lower C of G and handles great in the whoops. Still enough snap to get the front end up. Someone once told me that it was better to have less power and ride more aggressively than too much and ride timid and I would have to agree with that.

• ncmountainman

Posted January 26, 2007 - 07:26 AM

it depends alot on how much time,effort and $$ you've got to put in it. i had a 04 wr that was too much of a pig for the tight eastern HS(figured that out fast) so i took off the starter,blah,blah... got it lightened up close to a yz,but still didn't like the trans ratio's no matter what gearing i tried,it also had some serious engine braking:thumbsdn: traded up to a 05 yz450:thumbsup: that yr they increased the primary drive ratio for less engine braking,and it was night and day. just like radbuster said the 4spd trans is a dream in the tightness,i run the rekluse with +6 fww and 13/52 gearing. kinda hurts top spd,but i'm hardly ever in 4th during a race anyway. i think the steel frames are better for offroad(but thats a whole different argument) and there are ways to lower the COG of the older bikes,just have to loosen the purse strings a little:thumbsup:

• bxrjim

Posted January 26, 2007 - 08:39 AM

there are ways to lower the COG of the older bikes,just have to loosen the purse strings a little:thumbsup:

Whao! Whoa! There Mountain man I hate to high jack this thread but I would love to hear this about the lowering the CG if you can on a '01 426. That is the one thing left on this bike that drives me nutts to the point I don't even take off my Clark tank when theres no need for it just to keep a little more weight down low! I've done every mod mention except the rekluse and I'm about 1 mo. away from doing it. I just haven't talked myself into it yet. The only time I wish I had it is when I'm up at Reider. If any PNW guys are reading this they know what I mean. So how about a run down on the CG mods.

• Idaho_Stas

Posted January 26, 2007 - 09:14 AM

I went from an 03 YZ 250 to an '06 YZ450F. I ride a mix of woods/singletrack and desert. I wasn't sure how the 450 would do in the tighter stuff, so I kept the pinger and planned on using it for the days spent in the tight stuff. I can honestly say that my 250 pinger doesn't get ridden much these days.

I raised the forks a bit and put a Rekluse Z-start Pro on the 450 and am having a great time with it on any terrain. I was anticipating having to throw a heavier flywheel on it and/or change up the gearing, but so far haven't felt the need to.

Totally a matter of personal choice, but I wasn't interested in the heavier weight or the softer suspensions on the WRs.j

If you go this route, I'd definitely recommend starting w/ the Rekluse and adjusting the forks, and then go from there on setting the bike up.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • red7

Posted January 26, 2007 - 09:38 AM

I should have mentioned in my original post that I just switched from a WR450 to YZ450 and like it 100 times better for just about everything. Way more maneuverable in tight situations like you're describing but the main reason was that the WR suspension was just too soft for all around riding. Sure I could have had it revalved but then there is still the height, weight and other downsides. I still have it but never ride and so will be selling it soon.

• YZ426F Rider

Posted January 26, 2007 - 09:43 AM

Dirtbikesonny and yzfbxr...I ride at Reiter, Walker, Taneum, and everywhere else around here on my 426. Also run several of the NMA offroad races. I love it...I know there are lighter and more nimble bikes out there but I like the big thumpers! I run a Rekluse and gear down slightly when I'm going to be on the tight stuff and it's never a problem. I run all the usual protective stuff on the bike (skidpate, handguards, etc) and I just pull it off if I am going to hit the MX track.

I also have an RM250 that is set up for the woods so I can make a valid comparison of my 426 to a light and nimble bike. Each has it's advantages and I love them both.

• Goosedog

Posted January 26, 2007 - 10:15 AM

I'd rather be on a YZ in the woods than a WR on the track. :ride:

IMO....(and of course I own one), the YZ is one of the best all around, do everything bike, out there! :ride:

There, now I've said it.:ride:

• ncmountainman

Posted January 26, 2007 - 10:40 AM

Whao! Whoa! There Mountain man I hate to high jack this thread but I would love to hear this about the lowering the CG if you can on a '01 426. That is the one thing left on this bike that drives me nutts to the point I don't even take off my Clark tank when theres no need for it just to keep a little more weight down low! I've done every mod mention except the rekluse and I'm about 1 mo. away from doing it. I just haven't talked myself into it yet. The only time I wish I had it is when I'm up at Reider. If any PNW guys are reading this they know what I mean. So how about a run down on the CG mods.

well i just put a lead weight under the skidplate for a lower COG:p no seriously,i just spent alot of that time,effort,and $$ on some things that i'm not sure would carry over to the 426's but you can get an idea. i ordered up a 05 WR frame(for 05/6 wr's yamaha lowered the frame rail on the steering head 5mm), made up some new motor mounts that lowers the front of the motor 5mm,got some PWR lowboy rads(dropped a 1 1/4")FMF factory forward 4 system(lower, lighter and the lowboy header is needed for the rads),changed out alot of the hardware for aluminum and ti,i already had the ti rear spring and a fender mounted steering damper,also taking off or drilling holes in anything that looks like it could use it. now i've heard the take a crap before ya ride jokes enough to be tired of it...so save it. although i am on a diet and have lost 10 of the 20lbs i plan to,rider wt and bike wt are 2 totally different deals.

• Goosedog

Posted January 26, 2007 - 02:14 PM

i just spent alot of that time,effort,and $$ on some things that i'm not sure would carry over to the 426's but you can get an idea. i ordered up a 05 WR frame(for 05/6 wr's yamaha lowered the frame rail on the steering head 5mm), made up some new motor mounts that lowers the front of the motor 5mm,got some PWR lowboy rads(dropped a 1 1/4")FMF factory forward 4 system(lower, lighter and the lowboy header is needed for the rads),changed out alot of the hardware for aluminum and ti,i already had the ti rear spring and a fender mounted steering damper,also taking off or drilling holes in anything that looks like it could use it.

Damn Bob...why didn't ya just build a bike from scratch?:ride: :ride: :ride:

• ncmountainman

Posted January 26, 2007 - 02:22 PM

i would but i seem to have problems with precision tolerances,if i built a frame i'd probly hook left everytime i jumped it! will i be faster with those mods:excuseme: but at least i'm tryin'. hopefully at the very least it'll be easier to ride in the tightness:thumbsup:

• Pincushion

Posted January 26, 2007 - 02:59 PM

I'm surprised you'd want to sell your beer can YZ for a heavier YZF. It seems the rest of the populations is going the other way...

Look before you leap is all I say. I've ridden quite a few of the new 450's and I wouldn't bring them anywhere near the woods. At least not what here in the PNW.... Look before you leap.

• skipperlantz

Posted January 26, 2007 - 05:03 PM

I ride a 450 with no problem. Do most of my riding in Belfair, I'm guessing your familiar. Throttle control is the key. I thing a 250f would be easier, but I like having the power when I want it. I weigh 220, so the 450 is nice.
Good luck

• dirtbikesonny

Posted January 26, 2007 - 10:04 PM

I get a new bike every 2 years and never have much luck getting rid of the old one. I figure if I buy an '07 YZ smoker I'll have a hell of a time getting rid of a bike thats not made anymore ! So I guess I just figured I'd to the dirty now and switch to a 4 stroke. Dont get me wrong though, I think the new YZ 250 smokers are one of the best woods bikes you can get!!!! I love mine.

• red7

Posted January 26, 2007 - 10:26 PM

I'd rather be on a YZ in the woods than a WR on the track. :ride:

IMO....(and of course I own one), the YZ is one of the best all around, do everything bike, out there! :ride:

There, now I've said it.:applause:

Amen to that! I've only ridden my WR 1 time since I bought my YZ and that was only because I went riding with a friend and gave him the WR. This was my first day trailriding my YZF and half way through the ride I switched bikes just to see how my WR felt compared to my YZ. I used to be really fast on that WR but I came really close to going off the road the first high speed corner I hit because I had no idea how much better my YZ handled until then. Needless to say I jumped back on my YZ very soon afterwards.:ride:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.