Toyota Tacoma VS Ford Ranger

17 replies to this topic
  • brainfrz

Posted 25 January 2007 - 08:16 PM

To awaken an old thread... I've been looking at both Ranger and Tacoma- the Ranger is a bit more affordable, but I think I would be happier in the Tacoma. If I could be out the door in a Tacoma for no more than $300 a month, I would do it, but the Ranger, I can do that, and I get a whole boat load of bells and whistles to. So to bring this thread back to life...given my scenario, I'm 23, looking for payments not above $300, don't care if its 4x4 or 4x2, need a supercab (2-door)... WHAT SHOULD I DO!?

P.S. - Has to be new.

• witdogg

Posted 25 January 2007 - 08:20 PM

To awaken an old thread... I've been looking at both Ranger and Tacoma- the Ranger is a bit more affordable, but I think I would be happier in the Tacoma. If I could be out the door in a Tacoma for no more than $300 a month, I would do it, but the Ranger, I can do that, and I get a whole boat load of bells and whistles to. So to bring this thread back to life...given my scenario, I'm 23, looking for payments not above $300, don't care if its 4x4 or 4x2, need a supercab (2-door)... WHAT SHOULD I DO!?

P.S. - Has to be new.

Why new? Why not find a low milage, clean used Tacoma?

• brainfrz

Posted 25 January 2007 - 08:23 PM

Why new? Why not find a low milage, clean used Tacoma?

Honestly, I really can't see being in a loan for a used vehicle. I'd preffer something new with a good warranty.

• witdogg

Posted 25 January 2007 - 08:27 PM

Good point. I would try and get the Taco some how. There are such great trucks and the resale is amazing on them. Rangers and S-10's resale is nothing. There are like throw away trucks. I am in the market for a 2001-2004 Taco double cab right now. I want to build a prerunner out of one. I can’t believe what people are getting for used ones. I am a huge Chevy guy but when it comes to mini trucks I would say Toyota all the way. Make it work some how, you will be happier.

• milje

Posted 25 January 2007 - 08:57 PM

I like my 2005 Ranger with a 2.3L and a stick. Get's 30+ on the highway, has plenty of power for me, hasn't had any problems yet.

• brainfrz

Posted 26 January 2007 - 07:24 AM

One thing that I found out last night is that Ford is stating that "there isn't much markup on there trucks," why would they tell me this when I flat out told them I am only looking right now? This makes it seem like they are not going to give me any room to bargain. I know for a fact that dealers buy the vehicles way less than sticker, so to me, they just told me sticker is what you are going to pay. As for Toyota, I know I have a grand or two of play, but they seem to be a bit more pricey. Right now I have settled with the fact that I am only going to be able to afford 4x2, thats no problem as I don't plan on offraoding or anything, this is only to get my toys around. I really need the extended cab space though cause I would like to transfer my subwoofer from my car to the truck, and I need the extra storage space. So do you guys find this even possible with the numbers I provided to get one of these trucks, either Tacoma or Ranger?

• Kev_XR

Posted 26 January 2007 - 09:20 AM

My personal shopping list is Toyota or Nissan.
Having the truck go when I turn the key is my biggest concern.

Check out Consumer Reports.

Also, did you check into a longer loan to lower the payments? You must meet the minimum, but you can always pay extra and pay down the loan faster.

Finally, check with a few places for the loan package. Many Savings and Loans can beat deal loans.

• Darvo

Posted 26 January 2007 - 09:45 AM

I'd go with the yota. They made good small pick-ups, hopefully they figure out how to make a decent full-size one somday!!

• MxBaller621

Posted 26 January 2007 - 09:54 AM

I go with the Toyota, they are bigger than the Ranger and def. have some balls. If you were to go with a Ranger, I would go with the Stage II offroad package.

• husky250

Posted 26 January 2007 - 10:04 AM

im biased because i have a Ranger, but i think they are both great little trucks. They will both last forever. so far i have had no complaints about my Ranger.
Its a 2.3 and 5spd stick. As far as off road, it great for a near stock(only mod so far are some 31in tires), it has plenty of power for me, even with a bike in the back.

• brainfrz

Posted 26 January 2007 - 10:16 AM

To put a smin on things... http://www.autotrade...0000&cardist=14 This comes with a warranty, and would be cheaper than buying a new Ranger or Tacoma (that don't come with many options). Whatdya think?

• Kev_XR

Posted 26 January 2007 - 06:27 PM

I'm starting to check used trucks now. I've mainly looked at 2WD.
That price seems high and I would shoot for a truck under 20-30k miles.

Do a lot of looking and you can find a great deal.

I expect a truck to go 100k with no problems.
150k with some problems. More miles, is dependant on how it was treated.
I have 187,000 miles on my 1987 Toyota SR5 pickup.

• Kev_XR

Posted 26 January 2007 - 06:30 PM

Besides CarTrader.
Check out
www.Craigslist.org
www.KBB.com (Kelly Blue Book)

I bet there are a lot of people who spent too much money and are selling slightly used trucks these days.

• MxBaller621

Posted 26 January 2007 - 08:51 PM

I wish I could afford to have a POS 4x4 for the winter up here and a nice 2wd truck for summer. +1 more reason to HATE New York. Air force here I come!

• SXP

Posted 27 January 2007 - 11:12 AM

I'm amazed the two trucks are even mentioned in the same sentence:crazy:

If it were my 20K+ I would not EVER, EVER even consider plopping it down on a domestic truck. Do your homework, especially if you keep vehicles long term. Don't get snowed by initial quality surveys (although Toyota does well here too) look at the long term results (where Toyotas really shine).

Given these two choices.....Toyota all the way:thumbsup:

• steve_cirillo

Posted 27 January 2007 - 12:52 PM

my taco is great... plus they look way cooler imo
Posted Image
see it's prett!!!

now is a good time to buy too because they are clearing the 06's but on the other hand they sell a crap ton of tacomas so they probably won't give you that great of a deal... i got lucky with mine 23k otd :ride:

• steve_cirillo

Posted 27 January 2007 - 01:27 PM

this might help your decision

holly crap

• brainfrz

Posted 28 January 2007 - 12:49 PM

this might help your decision

holly crap

Snap, that's badass. To bad I can only afford the lowest end model of the Tacoma. Thats what I'll probably do.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.