YZ400 front axle picture?

4 replies to this topic
  • GunnerV

Posted January 25, 2007 - 08:00 PM

Does anyone have a picture of a 98 YZ400 front wheel/axle area? I am reassembling my front end after getting my suspension revalved and I have about 3/8" of my axle showing on the inside of my non brake side. My axel is flush with the outside of the lower fork tube, and extends aprox 3/8" past the inside of the lower forks, and then buts up flush with my wheel spacer. The owners manual shows a slightly different axle, so is not much help. It has been so long since I have taken everything apart, I have forgotten if there was another dust shield or something covering it.

• Smokeslider

Posted January 25, 2007 - 08:33 PM

Send me a PM to remind me and I'll get a Picture tomorrow if you still need it

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted January 25, 2007 - 08:45 PM

What you are describing is normal. To see what your axle should look like, go and check out any later YZ/YZF at your local dealer; same setup.

• GunnerV

Posted January 26, 2007 - 07:36 AM

What you are describing is normal. To see what your axle should look like, go and check out any later YZ/YZF at your local dealer; same setup.

Thanks, I guess I'll have to clean the grease off the larger diameter part of the axle. What do you use to stop the axle from turning when you tighten the axle nut? (The manual shows 75 ft/lbs) Do you tighten the pinch bolts on the non brake side?
I try to avoid the dealerships as much as possible. Every time I walk into a dealership it costs me money. I have some sick disease that won't let me leave without buying something.

• grayracer513

Posted January 26, 2007 - 01:04 PM

I tighten the axle this way:

Run the brake side pinch bolts down to the bolt shoulder and then turn them one flat farther.

Snug up the axle nut to about 30 ft/lb.

Tighten the brake side pinch bolts to their specified value.

Torque the axle nut.

Bounce the bike a few times to align the forks over the axle and tighten the left side pinch bolts.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.