Which Oil...Mobil 1 or Motorcycle stuff?

6 replies to this topic
  • bhunt

Posted January 17, 2001 - 06:20 PM

My dealer says less then 1 /2 weeks to my buddies and my WR426! What's the going thoughts on which oil to use after break in? Mobil 1 15-50 or Maxima, Belray, etc...

Thanks

Brian

• Mike_in_Silicon_valley

Posted January 17, 2001 - 06:33 PM

B,
Don't use car oil, they contain friction modifiers (which are "no bueno" for wet clutches). Check out the archives on this one , there is plenty of info.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted January 18, 2001 - 12:47 AM

I have been using Mobil 1 MX4T 10W 40 full synthetic motorcycle specific oil in my WR 400, no complaits or problems. Mobil also has a 20W 50 motorcycle specific called V-TWIN for air cooled Harley type engines. Mobil says it is basically the same as MX4T just higher viscosity, which I will try in hotter weather. Mobil has an information # 1-800-ASK-MOBIL, and can give info on distributors in your area.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Brad

Posted January 18, 2001 - 06:41 AM

I think you'll find many YZ/WR owners who have great results with the standard automotive Mobil 1 15w50. This oil does not contain the friction modifiers that are claimed to damage clutches. Take a look here: http://www.eric-gorr...h_june_1999.htm

• John_in_Long_Beach

Posted January 18, 2001 - 03:05 PM

I have used Mobil 1 15/50 for years in my street bikes. No clutch problems whatsoever.

• 00WR400_in_OZ

Posted January 19, 2001 - 05:32 AM

When I went into my Yamaha Dealer and asked he went straight to the oil shelf and handed me the Mobil 1 for fourstroke high performance bikes. If thats what my Yammy dealer is recommending then Im happy to go with that. If any problems occur..hey at least I can say well..you guys recommended the oil...

Oils aint Oils :)

Seems great though.

• Vincent

Posted January 19, 2001 - 04:02 PM

I use Mobil 1 15-50 in my 99 WR400F, it contains no friction modifiers and it works great. Shifts smooth as butter and no clutch slippage.

This has been discussed in depth over and over...lots of folks (including some real experts) use the Mobil 1 15-50 with great results.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.