so i checked out this 426 in full today....

30 replies to this topic
  • ____Kurt____

Posted January 25, 2007 - 06:33 PM

i was looking at this 426 at my local used/new cycle exchange and they are asking $2200 for it and i talked them down to $2000. i checked all the bearings and it was toight as a toiger (:ride:). nothing moved as in a bad way and it was in very nice cond. they have 2 there (both 01's) and im picking the nicer of the 2. the ony thing this doesn't have is the chain guard at the fron sprocket. has an Iron Man rear sprocket, brand new renthal gold chain (o-ringed i think),some after market pet-cock, procircuit 496 Spark-Arrester silencer, new front fender, new radiator shrouds, and probably a new front sprocket and some other things. let me know what you think and here are some pictures. please let me know of you opinoins. also, as the mechanic there was trying to start it in 20F cold at like 7:00pm he kept saying if i drop it on a 90F day, my pops is going to get a call asking him to pick me up lol, it took a little bit to start it only because the kid trying to start it didn't know what the hell he was doing. he put the hot start on right as we brought it outside to hear it run and watch him ride it in the packing lot. he stalled it and couldn't get it going (noobie). the engine sounded dead on and sooo sweet. i can't wait to get it next week. anyway, here are some pics. enjoy and comment/opinions :ride:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

• 642MX

Posted January 25, 2007 - 07:14 PM

Looks good, really clean! :ride:

• ____Kurt____

Posted January 26, 2007 - 01:51 PM

turns out im picking it up tuesday :ride: :ride: :ride:. man is that thing going to rip!!

• witdogg

Posted January 26, 2007 - 02:16 PM

i was looking at this 426 at my local used/new cycle exchange and they are asking $2200 for it and i talked them down to $2000. i checked all the bearings and it was toight as a toiger (:ride:). nothing moved as in a bad way and it was in very nice cond. they have 2 there (both 01's) and im picking the nicer of the 2. the ony thing this doesn't have is the chain guard at the fron sprocket. has an Iron Man rear sprocket, brand new renthal gold chain (o-ringed i think),some after market pet-cock, procircuit 496 Spark-Arrester silencer, new front fender, new radiator shrouds, and probably a new front sprocket and some other things. let me know what you think and here are some pictures. please let me know of you opinoins. also, as the mechanic there was trying to start it in 20F cold at like 7:00pm he kept saying if i drop it on a 90F day, my pops is going to get a call asking him to pick me up lol, it took a little bit to start it only because the kid trying to start it didn't know what the hell he was doing. he put the hot start on right as we brought it outside to hear it run and watch him ride it in the packing lot. he stalled it and couldn't get it going (noobie). the engine sounded dead on and sooo sweet. i can't wait to get it next week. anyway, here are some pics. enjoy and comment/opinions :ride:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Have you ridden a 426 before? They have a ton of power but they are not always the easiest things to start. Especially when they get hot. I don’t want you to buy this thing and be disappointed with it. I am just forewarning you, I dont think it was because he was a newbie, that’s just how those bikes can be.

• blue9red9

Posted January 26, 2007 - 02:53 PM

I had a 2000 model 426. Once you get it down, I never had any problem starting it. Any weather, any time. Once you learn the bike, it's good. I did like my 03 better though and part of that was the starting drill absence. I like my 06 even better than the 03.

• PATHPOUNDER

Posted January 26, 2007 - 03:25 PM

I did the bk mod...and keep the valves adjusted properly..Starting has never been an issue, hot or cold..If the jetting,and valves are dialed in...Starting will be cake.

• TL426

Posted January 26, 2007 - 04:04 PM

Have you ridden a 426 before? They have a ton of power but they are not always the easiest things to start. Especially when they get hot. I don’t want you to buy this thing and be disappointed with it. I am just forewarning you, I dont think it was because he was a newbie, that’s just how those bikes can be.

took me a couple aggrivating stalls to realize it, but once you get used to a 426, youll love it. i love the power of my bike.

• witdogg

Posted January 26, 2007 - 04:15 PM

You guys might be right. I have never owned one myself but a buddy of mine did. I could never get that thing started. I guess if you own one you probably get it down pretty good.

• buzzgrizz

Posted January 26, 2007 - 04:20 PM

Got a 00 and starting is not a problem hot or cold. Once you learn the drill it becomes quite easy.

• Drav

Posted January 26, 2007 - 05:55 PM

I was able to start my 02 first kick every time first day I got it, once you learn it it's second nature.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • C333

Posted January 26, 2007 - 06:05 PM

kick 1-2-3-4-5---15 degrees---back to the top---little thottle---let go---kick

thats what goes through my mind when I start up.:ride:

• yz_for_me

Posted January 26, 2007 - 10:26 PM

The whole thing about 426's being hard to start is mostly a myth. They are pretty much only hard if you don't know the drill or something is out of whack in the motor (usually jetting or tight valves). Once I got mine dialed (with the help of TT) it started 2-3 kicks every time.

• torqueme

Posted January 28, 2007 - 12:01 AM

$2000 sounds like a fair price. if it didn't have aftermarket parts on it,i would have to ask if that bike had ever been ridden. my '02 426 has never been that clean & they are not hard to start once you get the "ritual" down. have fun...

• Scotty426

Posted January 28, 2007 - 12:38 AM

I remember posting something similar myself awhile ago. Now I think it's probably one of the easiest to start, particularly with the cam mod. It's a tough bike that has pulled me through some ill-advised decisions. I am more than pleased.

• 2wheels-drz

Posted January 28, 2007 - 02:33 AM

I had a 2000 model 426. Once you get it down, I never had any problem starting it. Any weather, any time. Once you learn the bike, it's good. I did like my 03 better though and part of that was the starting drill absence. I like my 06 even better than the 03.

yup starting is not a problem, once u get it down.....

enjoy your new bike...

• Terrain Rider 4z

Posted January 28, 2007 - 08:28 AM

Notice this guy has a Kawasaki for sale and is hanging around on the Yamaha site :ride:

He knows deep down that the 426 is EASY to start, just a little harder when the temps are below freezing. Once its warm it is a one kick affair, even after a drop.

• Kyle Prior

Posted January 28, 2007 - 12:02 PM

Once you get the start drill down, you'll love the bike. On my 2000, with my drill, it starts 1st kick every time, even when its hot, and Im not using hot start. (I mean hot, I live live in Vegas.)

• ____Kurt____

Posted January 28, 2007 - 02:31 PM

lol, thanks alot guys for all the feedback. this makes me even more anxious to get it. turns out im getting it friday or earlier, thats ok though because i can still go riding this weekend :ride:. im not too worried about the whole start thing (thats what trees are for) thanks alot guys and what are your recommended starting precedures?

• Kyle Prior

Posted January 28, 2007 - 04:14 PM

I usually kick it through on decomp a few times only when its been sitting for a while. Otherwise, I just pull the decomp lever in, go about 2-3" down the stroke, bring it up, and then give it a good hard kick not on decompression...

• baja4lif3

Posted January 28, 2007 - 05:37 PM

On my WR426 kick with decompression 2-3 times then release. Then go to top dead center, then pull in decompression and go 2 inches past TDC and then let up and kick and starts everytime that way.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.