07 How much oil???

6 replies to this topic
  • mxdad32

Posted January 25, 2007 - 06:15 PM

I just picked up my 07 YZ450F and I am a little concerned. The manual says 1.0 L with filter replacement. Is that all these engines really have. My 06 CRF450 ran .7L in the engine and the trans both. Anyway, on page 3-15 of the manual it says not to start the engine when the oil tank is empty but after I put the 1.0L of oil in no oil shows on the dipstick. Does it only register after running for a bit??? I haven't ridden the bike yet and was just going through it to make sure I know what's what and all. I checked the oil dipstick for oil and it had none. I drained the oil to measure it and see how much came out. 1.0L came out. I guess I am just a little confused as to how to check the oil. I usually checked my CRF before I started it to make sure there was enough in it.

Also how do you guys torque the drain bolt under the tranny???

Thanks

• rexbond007

Posted January 25, 2007 - 07:31 PM

check oil when warm, set dipstick on threads when checking do not screw in. yes the manual is correct at 1L.

you can get additional info by following this thread;
http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=454879

• grayracer513

Posted January 25, 2007 - 08:35 PM

I just picked up my 07 YZ450F and I am a little concerned. The manual says 1.0 L with filter replacement. Is that all these engines really have. My 06 CRF450 ran .7L in the engine and the trans both. Anyway, on page 3-15 of the manual it says not to start the engine when the oil tank is empty but after I put the 1.0L of oil in no oil shows on the dipstick. Does it only register after running for a bit??? I haven't ridden the bike yet and was just going through it to make sure I know what's what and all. I checked the oil dipstick for oil and it had none. I drained the oil to measure it and see how much came out. 1.0L came out. I guess I am just a little confused as to how to check the oil. I usually checked my CRF before I started it to make sure there was enough in it.

Also how do you guys torque the drain bolt under the tranny???

Thanks

Well, you have to understand that you are not filling the oil tank when you add oil, you're filling the crankcase. When the engine starts, it has to scavenge the crankcase and return it to the tank. This is accomplished in less than a minute, and there's enough oil in the tank within 5 seconds to establish flow in the feed circuit. Follow the manual procedure on refilling and checking oil, in particular, the part about running it after filling, and allowing it to settle for at least 30 seconds prior to checking the oil with the dip stick.

Also, make a habit of checking the oil when you're done riding for the day. When it sits for a time, oil runs slowly from the tank to the crankcases. If you check the dipstick after two weeks, it will show nothing, and you'll flip out. If you check at the end of the ride, you'll know where it is.

I torque the drain plug by feel, just as I do almost everything. But you could use an offset torque adapter.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mxdad32

Posted January 26, 2007 - 04:43 AM

Thanks for the replies. I figured that is how it worked but the part in the manual about not starting the bike when the oil tank is empty really through me off as after the bike sit for a certain amount of time it will register as empty. I really just wanted to make sure there wasn't a miss-print in the manual about the amount and that was why it was not showing anything on the dipstick.

Can't wait to try the bike out, I am going to grease everything, put in heavy duty tubes, Twin Air powerflow cage and filter, works connection glide plate and go over every nut and bolt prior to riding it. It sure feels less top heavy just sitting on it compared to my 06 CRF450.

Thanks again!!!

• Captaincautious7

Posted January 26, 2007 - 04:52 PM

Had the same problem on my 07 coming from a 05 crf450. Also remember if you have any doubts that the oil check bolt behind the left drain bolt is supposed to be accurate unlike the check bolt on the hondas. The yamaha manual was also a little confusing to me on this point.

• mxdad32

Posted January 26, 2007 - 05:25 PM

Thanks, it makes me feel better to know I'm not the only one that found the manual a little confusing.

• grayracer513

Posted January 26, 2007 - 05:27 PM

With regard to the oil check bolt, it is to be used ONLY AFTER you run the engine for 1-2 minutes, then shut it off and wait for a minute. The way it works is on the principal that excessive oil result in too high a level in the crankcase because there isn't room for it in the oil tank. Oil sent to the tank beyond the amount it can hold is forced back through the pressure balance vent on the right side and back to the crankcase.

Using the overfill drain before running the engine and purging the crankcase, you will simply drain off some of the oil you just put in, and you'll end up under filled.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.