Rim question

3 replies to this topic
  • twosixtwo

Posted January 25, 2007 - 10:46 AM

I am looking at replacing my stock rims with some black excels, I had also thought of just buying the stock rims and powder coating them black......my question is will the stock spokes fit on the excel's

• cleonard

Posted January 25, 2007 - 10:59 AM

I am looking at replacing my stock rims with some black excels, I had also thought of just buying the stock rims and powder coating them black......my question is will the stock spokes fit on the excel's

My 600 had Excel rims on it when I got it. The spokes were overtightened and a few broke. I purchased a few stock OEM spokes to replace them and they sure looked like they fit right when I put them in. The possibility that they might be different never occured to me though.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rdahl

Posted January 25, 2007 - 11:52 AM

what bike are you on? I bought a set for my 650r. I was told stock nipples won't work...too small. I'm running the excell spline nipples and spokes....

• Potts228

Posted January 26, 2007 - 08:15 AM

Your stock spokes and nipples will work with the rims Excel recommends on their web site. The big question is why would you want to use the stock spokes? They are plenty strong but if you ride at all near the ocean they will corrode. Stainless is just easier to clean as well.

I would spend the extra money and get a set of stainless from Buchanans or Excel. I also recommend using the standard type nipples and not the Excel star drive type nipples because it could be a pain to find a spoke wrench out on the trial if you need one (unless you always carry one).

DON't powder coat... it is not the same or as good as the hard anodizing Excel does.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.