just bought a used 06...a few questions.

9 replies to this topic
  • yzfmxer

Posted January 25, 2007 - 10:11 AM

I have all of the plastics, tank, subframe, shock taken off. what are all of the things I should look for, check ect...

I just got it yesterday. it has a few goodies on it:applause: Vortex ignition, windham protapers, asv levers and perch, FMF Ti 4.1 with mega bomb header, extra set of excel wheels all laced up with rotors and sprocket, extra stator, clutch, 3 oil filters, engine gasket kit ( just incase), protec kickstarter. And all of the stock stuff he took off. I feel like I got a good deal for $5000. Its wasnt ridden much. I cnat wait to ride it!!

• WFOracer

Posted January 25, 2007 - 10:25 AM

Check your valve clearances...just to get an idea if they are in spec and to establish a baseline.

Grease the linkage and headset.

Sounds like a good deal with all the goodies!

• Baron Von Beard

Posted January 25, 2007 - 02:15 PM

Basic maintenance stuff, like greasing wheel bearings, linkage, headset, lube cables, clean throttle assembly, etc. Treat it just like a new bike even though it's used. You want to catch anything that needs attention before you are out riding it and it becomes an issue.

I think you got a great price on it as long as it's in good shape. Nice buy!

• Reyndogg

Posted January 25, 2007 - 02:43 PM

Ill 2nd (or 3rd .. whatever) greasing the bearings...I've only got about 70hrs on my 06 and ive had to do the steering stem bearings five times already - seems like the seal doesnt seal too well.

Good luck

• Smokeslider

Posted January 25, 2007 - 08:37 PM

Ditto all of the greasing, they didn't really come with much, set your sag, and Have fun!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • red7

Posted January 25, 2007 - 11:21 PM

Just out of curiousity, how do you know when you need to regrease the bearings, headset and how do you do it?

• Reyndogg

Posted January 26, 2007 - 06:56 AM

Just out of curiousity, how do you know when you need to regrease the bearings, headset and how do you do it?

You can feel (at least i can) when the bars start to get harder to turn or feel kinda gritty when I turn them if that makes sense? Anyway, this is especially true when it's in the garage and on a stand.

here's the steps I use:

• yzfmxer

Posted January 26, 2007 - 09:18 AM

Thanks for the info, the headset must have been greased recently, there was still a little blob of grease on the top of the stem where the big nut is. it was the same way with the axels. I think he was good at greasing. i will check the linkage though.

• red7

Posted January 26, 2007 - 09:35 AM

Thanks for the link, that's exactly what I was looking for!

• Reyndogg

Posted January 26, 2007 - 10:47 AM

Thanks for the link, that's exactly what I was looking for!

You may want to save that page in case twmx takes it down.

Related Content

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  106 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.