06 Desert Gearing?

5 replies to this topic
  • George_Felix

Posted January 25, 2007 - 07:24 AM

What is the tallest gearing that is practical for desert racing? Top speed expected?

Thanks!

• grayracer513

Posted January 25, 2007 - 09:24 AM

I haven't tried it on ours yet to see how it works out, but I'd guess it would be able to use a 14/47 fairly easily. That would yield 93 mph at 10,000 RPM without allowing for wheel spin, and about 9.3 mph/1000 rpm either way from there.

• George_Felix

Posted January 25, 2007 - 01:45 PM

I haven't tried it on ours yet to see how it works out, but I'd guess it would be able to use a 14/47 fairly easily. That would yield 93 mph at 10,000 RPM without allowing for wheel spin, and about 9.3 mph/1000 rpm either way from there.

I would expect it could handle that gearing. My 250F can handle that gearing but the 250 isnt going to make that kind of speed. I'm thinking Vegas to Reno and prefer tall enough gearing to comfortably run the longer high speed stretch.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Baron Von Beard

Posted January 25, 2007 - 01:52 PM

That gearing is just about perfect for desert riding/racing. The bike will pull it no problem! My buddy runs 14/48 on the MX track!

• lou_cano

Posted January 25, 2007 - 02:29 PM

I raced desert and motocross last year on my old 426 and I ran 15/49 on the motocross track I wouldn't pull that good around the corners. On the desert it would do about 80mph ( that what the radar was reading). I would invest in a steering stablizer also and hold on tight.

• Kyle Prior

Posted January 25, 2007 - 06:33 PM

I run a 14/47 on my 426, but I have no clue what the top speed is. It still has plenty of get up and go too. Ive had it topped out, and had my engine sieze near redline in 5th... That was an experience...

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.