XR650R Topend removal

5 replies to this topic
  • gnnova

Posted January 25, 2007 - 07:06 AM

I'm getting ready to do a piston and cam job on my XR650R. My question is does anyone know if I need to pull the motor or can it be done with the bottomend still in the frame?

Ken

• roadrunner81

Posted January 25, 2007 - 09:06 AM

It can be done in frame, just make sure you clean frame really well so you don't get any unwanted material in the motor.

• Thumpmeister

Posted January 25, 2007 - 02:12 PM

I did a piston/cam on my 650R, and yes it can be done in frame.

Theres really only a few things to look out for. Make sure you pull all the little/long bolts out so they don't cause any probs getting the head off. Now, the biggest issue I ran into was getting the cylinder out of the studs. The studs are too long to just pull it off the top, and too close to slide it in between. So, you either have to remove one of the studs, or bend two studs ever so slightly to be able to slide the cylinder out.

Also, when you get back to putting it back together, make sure you have at least ONE extra head stud, because 9 outa 10 times you'll snap at least one head stud (I did), and having an extra one is really nice when it happens.

Other than that, its pretty straightforward. Get a service manual if you don't have one. That thing will be your bible when it comes to your BRP.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • InTheDirt

Posted January 25, 2007 - 06:11 PM

You might be able to complete the top end with the engine installed....but it will be so much easier on the bench. In fact...I bet you can do it in less time by pulling the motor. I had my motor out of the bike and on the bench in under an hour.

• dick757

Posted January 26, 2007 - 05:03 AM

Yes it can be done
The studs are the prob
You can losen the mount bolts to drop the motor abit to give you alittle room
But it is just as easy to remove the whole thing

• gnnova

Posted January 28, 2007 - 09:29 PM

Thanks for the info.

Ken

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.