'03 450 Hurricane Conversion - Pics

49 replies to this topic
  • 2ksteeda

Posted January 25, 2007 - 12:13 AM

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to share my progress. Last week I tore apart my perfectly good dirt bike to give it a makeover :ride: After seeing some of the pics on this site I couldn't resist anymore.

-Ordered the Yellow/black hurricane Kit
-Sent the shock and forks to Factory Connection to be revalved/resprung
-Ordered a black Tank
-Dropped the bare frame off at the local powder coater to be redone in silver
-Ordered a bunch of Misc items, like grips, chain sliders, etc.

For the last week I have been cleaning parts and waiting for my frame, and suspension to get finished. Also checked the valve clearance which is still in spec after 3 yrs :ride: Hopefully it should start coming together Friday. I am also repacking all the bearings, and polishing some of the small aluminum items like the exhaust can, subframe, frame guards, etc.

Posted Image

Disassembly pic

Posted Image

Partially cleaned up engine:

Posted Image

Cleaned Swingarm:

Posted Image

Polished exhaust:

Posted Image

• Drav

Posted January 25, 2007 - 02:40 AM

Wanna sell your old tank/plastics?

• TD-3

Posted January 25, 2007 - 04:17 AM

It should awesome when completed. Post lots of pictures.:ride:

• YZ426F Rider

Posted January 25, 2007 - 09:12 AM

What did you use to polish the swingarm/silencer?

• 2ksteeda

Posted January 25, 2007 - 10:38 AM

What did you use to polish the swingarm/silencer?

I used 400 grit sandpaper, then 1500 grit, then mothers mag/aluminum polish with an orbital buffer and by hand. The pipe is almost chrome in appearance, even though the pics dont do it justice.

Looks like the frame will be ready in a few hours. I am trying to think of a way to clean out the oil take prior to re-assembly. It could have sand or bits of powdercoat in there from the process. Also will need to run a tap through the bolt holes and clean the race surfaces in the stem. I was going to polish the swingarm too, but its got some kind of clear coating on it, so I just cleaned it up real good.

• MDS55

Posted January 25, 2007 - 11:15 AM

How much $$$$ to powder coat the frame. I want to do the same process.

• 2ksteeda

Posted January 25, 2007 - 04:53 PM

How much $$$$ to powder coat the frame. I want to do the same process.

I just picked up the frame and handlebars. Total for the bars and frame was $400 :ride: (media blast and powder coat). I'll put some pics up shortly of the frame, and It looks like the suspension, and plastics will be here Monday :ride:

• 2ksteeda

Posted January 25, 2007 - 09:34 PM

Here are some pics of the powder coat. The frame and handle bars were done the same color. Its a sparkle silver / clearcoat. The metallic is not so defined in person and it has a nice "depth" to it.

Posted Image

Sorry about the sideways pic:

Posted Image

Close up of the Neck area:

Posted Image

• 2wheels-drz

Posted January 26, 2007 - 04:13 AM

nice job on that powder cost... it gonna look great. heres my 04 hurricane, it was done by the previous owner, i no it still has alot of blue, but its something different. and i like to stand out amoug the rest.

http://www.thumperta...ehicle&vid=8298

• almostinvincible119

Posted January 26, 2007 - 05:52 AM

I have never seen the Hurricane kit done full up with no blue...this should be interesting to see how it all turns out, keep posting!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • stillsun

Posted January 26, 2007 - 05:57 AM

How much did the powder coat end up costing you? And did you have them do the prep on the frame first as well ? Or did you do it?

Looking sweet!

• Radbuster

Posted January 26, 2007 - 06:34 AM

Hi guys,

Mine is also a full Hurricare, powder silver frame and "natural" tank. Super happy since the scatches are barely visible. The worn frame rails are silver on silver, so they are barely noticed if not looking for it.

If it was sand blasted, WATCH OUT. Since it is almost impossible to clean out the oil container in the frame the engine can get ruined. This is pretty common, so be careful.

I managed to plug it well for the sand blasting, but was careless for the powder coating. For the about 7 next oil changes my scotts stainless oil filter was almost clogged with chewed silvery paint. Poor cams, gears, crank etc. But thanks to the superior Yamaha design it survived anyway.

But it looks really cool now :ride:

• SCIENCE

Posted January 26, 2007 - 07:58 AM

Hi guys,

If it was sand blasted, WATCH OUT. Since it is almost impossible to clean out the oil container in the frame the engine can get ruined. This is pretty common, so be careful.

I managed to plug it well for the sand blasting, but was careless for the powder coating. For the about 7 next oil changes my scotts stainless oil filter was almost clogged with chewed silvery paint. Poor cams, gears, crank etc. But thanks to the superior Yamaha design it survived anyway.

But it looks really cool now :ride:

I have to second RadBuster. Make double double sure that the oil container is clean before you start your bike. I know of two guys out my way that didn't and payed the huge price of rebuilding their entire motors!
Your bike will look great when it's done though! Looking forward to the pictures.

• Reyndogg

Posted January 26, 2007 - 08:07 AM

that frame looks great...im not sure why you had what appears to be stock bars done as they'll bend if a mouse farts near that thing :ride:

• 2ksteeda

Posted January 26, 2007 - 11:24 AM

The oil tank was a concern of mine since before I started, so I hear you guys on that one. Sand and bearings dont mix too well :ride:

I think I have a solution though. I am going to flush it with some lacquer thinner since its thin viscosity, and will evaporate cleanly. Then I'm going to use the air blower, and vacuum it out with my shop vac. I think I can get the bottom corners with a long piece of hose or a straw tapped to the vac hose.

After that I'm going to flush it out with some motor oil. I have some paint strainers that I can put under the frame holes and see exactly what comes out. If its clean I'll start putting it back together. I'm sure there will still be trash in there so I will run it for short intervals and do a few oil and filter changes.

For the handlebars, yep they are stockers. I thought about getting some better ones, but I am going to wait a while. I feel comfortable on the bike with these, and I guess I'm just used to them.

• 2ksteeda

Posted January 26, 2007 - 11:28 AM

nice job on that powder cost... it gonna look great. heres my 04 hurricane, it was done by the previous owner, i no it still has alot of blue, but its something different. and i like to stand out amoug the rest.

http://www.thumperta...ehicle&vid=8298

Yep me too. I guess I've been thinking about this since the first time I saw the '06 SE...Those are some good looking bikes :ride:

• COPTEC1

Posted January 27, 2007 - 06:12 PM

I myself would love to do the hurricane conversion but I have a 99 yz400. I contacted one industries about their kit and was told the plastics are different . I dont give up easy so I checked to see if there is a difference between the tanks of my 99 and that of a 2000-2002 426 and they are the same. so if you guys might know just what is so different about them I can come up with a plan on how to pull this off. I have never liked blue yamahas. i guess I am old school and think that a yz should be yellow. my first was a 76 yz125 when i was 11 and i will soon be 41 and still love the yamadogs.

• 2ksteeda

Posted January 28, 2007 - 08:32 PM

Here are some more pics from this weekend. The oil tank had some dirt in it as expected. I flushed it out and got most of the dirt out as you can see in the paint strainer. I went through 3 or 4 quarts of oil before it was clean.

I put everything I could back on until the forks and shock arrive tomorrow. Also put the new black tank in place.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Plastics and forks/shock will be here tomorrow! Hopefully I can get it all together in the next few days :ride:

• Birdy426

Posted January 28, 2007 - 09:41 PM

I myself would love to do the hurricane conversion but I have a 99 yz400. I contacted one industries about their kit and was told the plastics are different . I dont give up easy so I checked to see if there is a difference between the tanks of my 99 and that of a 2000-2002 426 and they are the same. so if you guys might know just what is so different about them I can come up with a plan on how to pull this off. I have never liked blue yamahas. i guess I am old school and think that a yz should be yellow. my first was a 76 yz125 when i was 11 and i will soon be 41 and still love the yamadogs.

The lower fwd bolt hole that picks up the radiator is at a different angle on the 400's. You could probably make up a bracket to match...or check out Polisport or UFO, I think they make yellow plastic in induhvidual pieces, then order the graphics and seat cover from One Industries.

• grayracer513

Posted January 28, 2007 - 10:14 PM

You may want to check that One will sell the graphics separate from the plastics. I've heard it said that they won't.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.