Found a great place to mount my horn.......

11 replies to this topic
  • mxcowboy

Posted January 24, 2007 - 08:42 PM

While I was doing my dual sport conversion I was wondering where to mount the horn. I walked to the left side of the bike and saw where I have removed the smog junk and bam a great place for a horn. Fit perfect and totally hidden. Sound is plenty loud.
On the handlebar switch it did not have a kill switch function so I use the turn signal switch to kill motor. In Texas we don't have to have turn signals.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• CSS9961

Posted January 24, 2007 - 08:59 PM

Nice! I am seriously considering streeting my '07. Easy to do in Colorado.:ride:

• mxcowboy

Posted January 24, 2007 - 09:27 PM

Nice! I am seriously considering streeting my '07. Easy to do in Colorado.:ride:

I hear you just have to tell them it's street legal in Colorado and they give you a tag.

• SXP

Posted January 24, 2007 - 09:54 PM

Cool setup. may I ask where you got the switch and horn from and how much they cost you? Thanks.

• waynus

Posted January 25, 2007 - 12:31 AM

Just wqtch that the mounts don't fatigue and the thing starts rubbing on the radiator (happened to me)

• CSS9961

Posted January 25, 2007 - 06:45 AM

I hear you just have to tell them it's street legal in Colorado and they give you a tag.

Almost that easy. Add the horn and a brake switch, then go get your tag! I feel bad for Californians and Floridians.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mxcowboy

Posted January 25, 2007 - 01:33 PM

Just wqtch that the mounts don't fatigue and the thing starts rubbing on the radiator (happened to me)

If the mounts give out it will just rub the frame.
The horn is sitting right behind the frame.

• mxcowboy

Posted January 25, 2007 - 01:36 PM

Cool setup. may I ask where you got the switch and horn from and how much they cost you? Thanks.

Handlebar switch on Ebay for 40.00.
Horn at Autozone for 15.00

• beakr

Posted February 01, 2007 - 06:29 PM

Nice switch. Does your hotstart lever clear it ok? I had to have a buddy make me a spacer for my '04. I still have several left. PM me if you want one.
Posted Image

• crashthings

Posted February 07, 2007 - 04:18 PM

MXCowboy, What did you use for your rear brake light?

• Phat Twin

Posted February 07, 2007 - 04:44 PM

Handlebar switch on Ebay for 40.00.
Horn at Autozone for 15.00

BARELY LEGAL OFFROAD HORN KIT
Self Contained Battery Operated Unit
Handlebar Mounted Switch

I made this kit for myself last year and it worked really well. I'm curious to see if any of the members might be interested in purchasing this kit from me since the law keeps trying to make all horns on road legal bikes electric only. No more squeakers or air horns allowed (at least in NH, anyways!).

This kit will be safer simply because you can still keep both hands on the bars while riding and also have a loud enough horn that people can HEAR you. This is not stunningly loud, but far louder than most horns that we all "use" currently to make ourselves legal for turkey runs and road use to jump trailhead to trailhead.

I had tried the easy way of connecting the power source through the headlight wiring, but the fluctuation of power based on throttle position made the horn sound weak and always varied in its intensity.

Check out the clip I made for this kit here:
http://video.google....703364432653942

If anyone is interested in this kit, PM me and I will buy the parts, make them up and notify you when its ready. $29.95 plus shipping (which shouldn't be much).

-PT

• mxcowboy

Posted February 07, 2007 - 08:45 PM

MXCowboy, What did you use for your rear brake light?

Go to any motorcycle shop and get a HYDRAULIC BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH BANJO BOLT 10mm dia x 1.25mm thread pitch.
I got mine off ebay from PeakMoto.
http://cgi.ebay.com/...sspagenameZWD1V

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.