Strip down WR for racing?

8 replies to this topic
  • TWILES

Posted January 24, 2007 - 01:48 PM

I know my sig says that I want to sell my bike and go back to racing quads BUT after a year and a half with the bike, I think I might have finally found a ridding buddy. He aquired a 2003 WR and wants me to race hairscrambles with him. Thats sounds great.

Question is, do any of you guys who race your WR's strip anything off of them? When I raced quads I had 2-strokes and if something wasn't COMPLETELY necessary it came off, wiring harness included. About all I've seen that I would take off would be the radiator overflow and kickstand. If I got real serious maybe the starter and battery to save weight but with racing in the woods I'm not sure it would make sence considering mud would make up the difference.

Anybody?

• WGP

Posted January 24, 2007 - 02:19 PM

I race with everything on....even the kickstand.....it is nice to have for Lemone type starts or having to get off to help a friend ect...( and have your bike still running in an upright position).

The 450 has plenty of power to race with the extra wieght.

What you can also do is replace the heavy OEM parts with lighter parts.
Like the exhaust, sprockets ect...

Or just get a YZ:thumbsup:

• Looks450

Posted January 24, 2007 - 03:40 PM

I raced my 04 with everything on it, plus some more alloy parts like bash plate, rad guards, disk guards.

The bike has more than enough grunt to pull the extra weight.

Unless you are a pro, is 2 kg diffence in bike weight really going to make you that much more competitive.

For my sake, id rather be 152nd with an elec leg than 148th with out it.

Cheers
Looks

• taksx

Posted January 24, 2007 - 04:13 PM

I race a 2005 WR. I too have added more junk to the bike such as off road skid pate, O/S gas tank, hand guards etc etc. about the only thing I taken off the bike are the lights. replace them with a YZ # plate and acerbis makes a rear fender YZ style for our model, bolts right on no problems.
The rear fender is heavy as heck. I almost want to say that you'll save about 6 to 7 pounds just getting rid of the lights.
You'll need your magic button and resevoir at one point or another during a race.

Hope that helps, Eddie :ride:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TWILES

Posted January 24, 2007 - 04:55 PM

I race a 2005 WR. I too have added more junk to the bike such as off road skid pate, O/S gas tank, hand guards etc etc. about the only thing I taken off the bike are the lights. replace them with a YZ # plate and acerbis makes a rear fender YZ style for our model, bolts right on no problems.
The rear fender is heavy as heck. I almost want to say that you'll save about 6 to 7 pounds just getting rid of the lights.
You'll need your magic button and resevoir at one point or another during a race.

Hope that helps, Eddie :ride:

Thats what I was thinking. The lights will go just for looks anyway. The YZ doesn't have a resevoir so I figured it was a go but I've seen mine working unlike my old quads. I agree with everybody. Can't get a YZ. I'll make it with the WR. I can't ride that good anyway. An old friend who raced Pro in the atv nationals said that if you can't ride real good, atleast look good. Thats the aim. Thanks :ride:

• JRAMBO

Posted January 24, 2007 - 05:13 PM

I just put YZ plastic on my 02 WR got rid of headlight & tailight and kickstand.Works great.BTW harescrambles are a blast I love them here in CALIF.

• TWILES

Posted January 24, 2007 - 05:25 PM

The MidSouth series runs within 3 hours of here a lot. I've been wanting to hit a few but not alone.

• TARFELE

Posted January 24, 2007 - 07:32 PM

I did the same as some of the guys above. I added an Acerbis tank, skid plate,FMF head pipe and exhaust, bar risers, damper and others to numerous to mention. I then took the WR stuff off and replaced it with YZ plastic. I love my bike. It is perfect for hair scrambles. I am debating on getting a new WR but I like my 03 too much. IMO getting rid of the e-start and battery do not help enough when you weigh out the benefit. Kickstarting a bike after you have been racing an hour sure takes alot out of you especially when you did not kill it on you own.

• OldManInTheDesert

Posted January 24, 2007 - 10:44 PM

Same as above YZ plastic on the WR. Keep your magic button it may come in handy. I like the wr tranny for harescrambles, damm thing can tractor up anything.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.