Ultimate XR650L

21 replies to this topic
  • Motosprtman

Posted January 24, 2007 - 01:05 PM

did anyone see this on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem

• flyin vee

Posted January 24, 2007 - 02:42 PM

Nice ride, he claims that it has 50 hp. Is that possible with that engine?? If it is, how much reliability would be sacrificed?

• oldchvytrx

Posted January 24, 2007 - 02:58 PM

Nice ride, he claims that it has 50 hp. Is that possible with that engine?? If it is, how much reliability would be sacrificed?

<<<<<<>>>>>>>
I'd say it is quite attainable as I had a 74 XL250 engined short track bike dynoing 42 hp without the benefit of some of the technology this guy had available.
With the stout construction of the L's engine I think it would still be quite dependable.
Makes me want to dyno my "new" 676 and see what it's got?
:ride: :ride: :ride:

• lrutt

Posted January 24, 2007 - 03:13 PM

doesn't list a cam. Either it's BS as you would not get 50 without a cam, or he forgot.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted January 24, 2007 - 03:43 PM

This guy is known on 4strokes.com, he's not seen as a BS'er.

Don't know if he dyno-ed it or not.

Dave

• bigredxr

Posted January 24, 2007 - 06:05 PM

All of Matt's work was done by xr's only and I'm sure it makes the power he says it does! Be careful what u say when u don't know the facts!

• danbart

Posted January 24, 2007 - 10:06 PM

I doubt anyone will ever pay 10K for an XR650L, no matter how many mods it has!

• bigredxr

Posted January 25, 2007 - 03:23 AM

Bike was listed for 5999.99 buy it now price on fleabay and is sold! I guess your right nobody would pay 10k for a xr650l.:ride:

• MindBlower

Posted January 25, 2007 - 04:58 AM

Bike was listed for 5999.99 buy it now price on fleabay and is sold! I guess your right nobody would pay 10k for a xr650l.:ride:

It IS listed for 10000.00 buy it now price on ebay.

Guess maybe YOU should look before you flap. :ride:

• nxridge

Posted January 25, 2007 - 05:00 AM

All of Matt's work was done by xr's only and I'm sure it makes the power he says it does! Be careful what u say when u don't know the facts!

I dont see anyone jumping to any non fact conclusions .
i think the 50 hp
was posed as a question as if it was possible to obtain that much power with the 650l engine. no one was doubting the posters specs.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Motosprtman

Posted January 25, 2007 - 06:04 AM

so! how many HP do you get by simplying uncorking it 2? 3? 5? just curious. I know the motor sounds happier especially cold!

• mgs781

Posted January 25, 2007 - 06:37 AM

so! how many HP do you get by simplying uncorking it 2? 3? 5? just curious. I know the motor sounds happier especially cold!

Any hp claim without a dyno sheet is B.S., assuming that the mods produced more hp is speculation. It does seem reasonable that the work would produce more power, but again where is the proof?

I think my L has 50+ hp with more work done than this guy, but until I get it on the dyno nobody knows. I can tell you for a fact that my bike will walk all over a stock or uncorked L, it has been done.

MGS

• danbart

Posted January 25, 2007 - 07:47 AM

Any hp claim without a dyno sheet is B.S., assuming that the mods produced more hp is speculation. It does seem reasonable that the work would produce more power, but again where is the proof?

I think my L has 50+ hp with more work done than this guy, but until I get it on the dyno nobody knows. I can tell you for a fact that my bike will walk all over a stock or uncorked L, it has been done.

MGS

How does your L run compared to an R?

• whodis

Posted January 25, 2007 - 08:24 AM

if you pay attention to ebay there is alot of BS in the auctions.

• mgs781

Posted January 25, 2007 - 08:57 AM

How does your L run compared to an R?

The R has more lower end and will pull hard from down low.

The Hotcams or any performance cam changes the way the engine revs, more duration and lift which make the engine breath better in the upper rpm range. A stock engine has tons of low end, but runs out of steam up top.

I would expect a high compression ratio engine with the stock cam to have tons of grunt but similar poor high rpm performance. The valve job will help, but 3 angle valve jobs can't compensate for a good performance cam.

I ride alot with a guy that has an un-corked R. The motor is a beast. My bike hits softer down low but revs out in a similar way. With that said, I am never more than a bike length behind. He is also a better rider than I am.

MGS

• danbart

Posted January 25, 2007 - 11:22 AM

Nice! Thanks.

I've got an 03 XRR that I love, but alway have the XRL bug in the back of my mind. I love the simplicity of the L, the e start and =the descent rear rack subrame for dualsport stuff.

I'm just affraid that after the XRR I'll be disappointed by the XRL.

Later Dan

• asf

Posted January 25, 2007 - 11:37 AM

kingtutt is on the 4strokes forums and knows his stuff, and definitely put some time into that bike.

I am not going to say anything about the numbers but even with a dyno sheet all dynos run differently, the only thing a dyno is good for is to get a relative number the actual number is irrelevant.

Also, wheel HP or crank?

He is not the guy who goes around spewing BS, and yes his bike is already sold.

• mgs781

Posted January 25, 2007 - 11:59 AM

kingtutt is on the 4strokes forums and knows his stuff, and definitely put some time into that bike.

I am not going to say anything about the numbers but even with a dyno sheet all dynos run differently, the only thing a dyno is good for is to get a relative number the actual number is irrelevant.

Also, wheel HP or crank?

He is not the guy who goes around spewing BS, and yes his bike is already sold.

Dyno numbers are very relevant and properly setup dynos are accurate.

The problems is that most dyno opperators don't have the skill or understanding of the equipement to take an accurate measurement.

Horsepower measurements should be made under very controlled conditions and should be corrected for humidity, altitude, and air temperature.

Dynos can be made to read high or low depending on these variables.

I guess everyones point is that the claim was made with substanciating evidence.

In addition, I thought all the engine work was done by XRs Only not the owner. If they said 50 hp, then it is probably true, they have done enough of them. Bolting components onto a bike does not make anyone an engine tuner.

MGS

• mgs781

Posted January 25, 2007 - 12:49 PM

I forgot one thing, the ultimate XR650L is right here:

http://www.thumperta...achmentid=13913

Nothing stock!

MGS

• asf

Posted January 25, 2007 - 12:53 PM

Dyno numbers are very relevant and properly setup dynos are accurate.

The problems is that most dyno opperators don't have the skill or understanding of the equipement to take an accurate measurement.

People are saying to post dyno numbers to prove that the bike has the HP it does. Or say that my bike makes more power than yours. But you cant do that with a dyno sheet. That was my point exactly, numbers are not accurate. So it is the relative increase that matters. Even if you got a dyno sheet saying 55 HP on dyno 1, it may ready 50 HP when you take it to dyno 2, making all dyno numbers not performed onthe same machine by the same tech apples to oranges...I really dont see how comparing apples to oranges makes a number relevant.

Like I said I'm not going to say anything about the numbers, because I don't know (and the ad just says sold on it). But between the shop that did the work having seen enough of these and a pretty careful enthusiast who knows his way around a wrench I'd be surprise if that was just a random number out of nowhere. Then again, I;ve been wrong before and will be wrong again....:ride:

One thing is fore sure, you've got a pretty nice L

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 4 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  159 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 9 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.