06 KX 250 Suspension Settings

18 replies to this topic
  • DW1972

Posted January 24, 2007 - 10:02 AM

Need some help with the clickers, I weigh roughly 180 with all my gear on and I have checked the sag and it is within spec. The front end of my bike feels like it wants to push and not track, the rear end feels nervous. Although I have ridden dirt bikes since I was a kid I am relatively new to riding mx and any kind of suggestions with clicker settings would be most appreciated.

• PaiNLeSS

Posted January 24, 2007 - 10:21 AM

Need some help with the clickers, I weigh roughly 180 with all my gear on and I have checked the sag and it is within spec. The front end of my bike feels like it wants to push and not track, the rear end feels nervous. Although I have ridden dirt bikes since I was a kid I am relatively new to riding mx and any kind of suggestions with clicker settings would be most appreciated.

Funny, when I get on the 2006 KX250 I feel nervous. Welcome back to riding, DW1972! It's impossible to get the bug outa your system, is it not?

There's nothing bad or inherently wrong with you KX's suspension. That should be good news to you. But if your up to spending about $200, get the 5.0 shock spring and the .42 fork springs and after setting the sag set your fork rebound at 9 out, compression at 12 out. Shock rebound at 8 out, high speed adjuster at 2 turns out, and the compression at about 14 out.

Those numbers will get you close enough to tweak a small amount for your personal preferences.

• DW1972

Posted January 24, 2007 - 05:54 PM

Thanks, really appreciate the help. I have a birthday coming up and now I know what I will be asking for.

• KX02

Posted January 24, 2007 - 08:48 PM

I agree with painless, I am the same weight as you and am getting my suspension revalved and .42 springs in front and 5.0 in back. Also watch out for you front fork position in the clamps. Mine was not set correctly from the factory. After I raised the forks up a few millimeters in the clamps it really improved the cornering.

• PaiNLeSS

Posted January 24, 2007 - 11:08 PM

I agree with painless, I am the same weight as you and am getting my suspension revalved and .42 springs in front and 5.0 in back. Also watch out for you front fork position in the clamps. Mine was not set correctly from the factory. After I raised the forks up a few millimeters in the clamps it really improved the cornering.

Question, KX02...

What year model is your KX250, 2002? Reason I ask is just for a little more imput. We have found the 06' and 07' very neutral handling bikes. Kinda like some YZ's. They handle high speed straights good and turn good, but they don't do straights as well as a CRF or turn like a Suzuki.

We have played around with raising the forks up in the tripple clamps but when we pass the 5mm mark and what we gained in cornering, we lost twice that on straights.

I can go on a little more but the info is marginal at best. What we have ended up with is 3mm to 4mm max. Several riders prefer the forks flush, and they seem to be the faster and more skilled of the riders testing for us.

Personally, I can't tell any difference in the corners but I can really feel the loss of straight line stability.

We're begging to believe the answer rests in the rear end height/linkage geometry.

• KX02

Posted January 25, 2007 - 06:19 AM

I have a 2005 KX250. I do believe that the factory spec was 4mm for the fork height. Mine were installed flush from the factory . I have since set them to 5mm and it did make a noticeable improvement in the corners. I didn't really notice a loss of stability on straights.

• DW1972

Posted January 25, 2007 - 09:44 AM

Thanks for all the help. Any recommendations to who makes the best springs?

• PaiNLeSS

Posted January 26, 2007 - 06:54 AM

Thanks for all the help. Any recommendations to who makes the best springs?

You'll never go wrong with Eibach Springs.

• DW1972

Posted February 12, 2007 - 09:18 AM

Had the springs installed on my bike, really made a difference. Now I just need to fine tune it. How will that PC linkage arm affect my suspension, the guy that did the work on my bike recommened it.

• 02YZ426

Posted March 30, 2007 - 06:31 PM

What are the stock settings for the 06?

• 02YZ426

Posted April 01, 2007 - 08:34 AM

* bump

• 02YZ426

Posted April 01, 2007 - 01:02 PM

Funny, when I get on the 2006 KX250 I feel nervous. Welcome back to riding, DW1972! It's impossible to get the bug outa your system, is it not?

There's nothing bad or inherently wrong with you KX's suspension. That should be good news to you. But if your up to spending about $200, get the 5.0 shock spring and the .42 fork springs and after setting the sag set your fork rebound at 9 out, compression at 12 out. Shock rebound at 8 out, high speed adjuster at 2 turns out, and the compression at about 14 out.

Those numbers will get you close enough to tweak a small amount for your personal preferences.

Since I couldn't find the stock settings I decided to start out with your recommendation. Worked great! Thanks :bonk: Now if I could only get my YZ450 to handle this good.

• GUTCH

Posted December 29, 2008 - 05:03 PM

I just we up my bike per your suggestions, I hope this was moto? It seems very soft, by haven't rode yet do to snow. Let me know. Thanks

• Stu2

Posted December 29, 2008 - 09:05 PM

I had an 06 Kx 250 and it was the worst handeling bike I have ever swung a leg over, no matter what my susp tuner (and kawi dealer) tried , it would not comply. It would push in corners, stand up, shake its head, it was harsh, wallowy, abrupt etc. I threw plenty $$ at the problem but in the end it amounted to naught, hope you have more luck

• dlowe102

Posted December 31, 2008 - 08:28 AM

you are the same weight as i am...run at least 102-105 of sag 5.0 rear spring stock 44. fork spring. max oil hight to 320cc the midvalve on the forks need stiffening up. the rear needs softer valving and slow rebound dampning.

• dlowe102

Posted December 31, 2008 - 08:30 AM

Also if i remember right my tuner showed how the fork springs are a little short and he shimmed them with a spacer.

• GUTCH

Posted December 31, 2008 - 11:15 AM

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I've had no seat time to get this bike dialed in, I want to get as close as possible before hand.

• dlowe102

Posted December 31, 2008 - 01:16 PM

I would just start out with finding what the stock level of oil was then add the rest to make 320cc total keep the stock 44's.

the back i would set the sag at 105 with a 5.0 and soften the comp clickers and slow the rebound down.

Then you could valve it in the direction that you need.

• calatis

Posted May 25, 2013 - 01:24 PM

Question, KX02...

What year model is your KX250, 2002? Reason I ask is just for a little more imput. We have found the 06' and 07' very neutral handling bikes. Kinda like some YZ's. They handle high speed straights good and turn good, but they don't do straights as well as a CRF or turn like a Suzuki.

We have played around with raising the forks up in the tripple clamps but when we pass the 5mm mark and what we gained in cornering, we lost twice that on straights.

I can go on a little more but the info is marginal at best. What we have ended up with is 3mm to 4mm max. Several riders prefer the forks flush, and they seem to be the faster and more skilled of the riders testing for us.

Personally, I can't tell any difference in the corners but I can really feel the loss of straight line stability.

We're begging to believe the answer rests in the rear end height/linkage geometry.

i have an 02 i weigh 220 cutious to know what an ideal comfortable setting would be for trail riding

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.