Need help buying new bike !!!!

5 replies to this topic
  • xr600Lynch

Posted January 24, 2007 - 07:02 AM

I am 32. I am a fast rider..I have had big bore bikes all my life. I just sold my heavily modded xr600R .After i dried my tears i started on my search.. Im looking at 2002yz426 and or 01 or 02 250F.. I am 172. Very fit. I ride hard and at the track often and i will get much more track time with my NEW bike.. What should i get.. Will a 250F be under powered for me.. Will the 426 be a dog, or will a regret not having the 250 F..

• 642MX

Posted January 24, 2007 - 07:18 AM

I'd get a 426. If your used to an XR600, I think you would be disappointed with a 250F.

• jayh300

Posted January 24, 2007 - 07:26 AM

ditto... 426. the 250f would be underpowered, imho
jay

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • xr600Lynch

Posted January 24, 2007 - 07:28 AM

thanks guys, what about a dampener. Ive noticed everyone slapping them on 400's and 426's! Is there a headshake problem? Whataya think?

• jayh300

Posted January 24, 2007 - 07:47 AM

i have a 99 yz400f and don't have one, but we just trail ride.
have had no headshake problems, but we don't ride very fast anymore.
these bikes are way cool. mine will wheelie in any gear and any speed.
good luck. bought it used about 6mo's ago and its winter so I have not spent a huge amount of time on it. checked the valves last weekend and still in spec.......

• grayracer513

Posted January 24, 2007 - 09:10 AM

I'd get a 426. If your used to an XR600, I think you would be disappointed with a 250F.

Exactly so.

thanks guys, what about a dampener. Ive noticed everyone slapping them on 400's and 426's! Is there a headshake problem? Whataya think?

The XR was built as a trail/enduro/desert bike. The YZF's are MX bikes. All steering geometry is a compromise of one kind or other, and the concessions made to easier and quicker steering on the YZF lead to some loss of high speed stability, at least compared to an XR. But as MX bikes go, the YZF's are known for being among the more stable and straight-tracking of the lot, so you may decide you need it, you may not. They are not skittish or nervous at speed, for the most part, just a little more sensitive than your old bike likely was.

It will mostly depend on how and where you'll be riding. If you do mostly high speed, open desert stuff, you will probably like it better with a damper than without, but you can decide that after the fact if you want.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.