How the hell does everyone do this?

18 replies to this topic
  • theclone

Posted January 23, 2007 - 06:44 PM

By "this" I mean adjusting the fuel screw. I know what it is and what it does, I just can figure out how I'm actually supposed to adjust this thing. I never got around to buying an aftermarket fuel screw and I dont want to now because I'm selling my bike soon. So whats the best way to do it?

• John407

Posted January 23, 2007 - 06:54 PM

I had to loosen the carb and rotate it so that I could get at the fuel screw. I never had a screw driver that would work. The aftermarket fuel screws are a very good idea.

• Baron Von Beard

Posted January 23, 2007 - 06:56 PM

Uhhhh, you said you don't want to know but then immediately ask how to do it...

There are a bazillion posts on how to set you fuel screw. Do a search.

• TotallyMetal

Posted January 23, 2007 - 07:12 PM

Dude,
You know those all in one screwdrivers that have the small phillips and the straight blade, the other end has a regular #2 phillips and a larger straight blade, then if you pull the bit out you have a driver for 5/16 and 1/4. Following?
I know sounds a bit confusing. I think they call them 6 in 1 screwdrivers... Anyway I use to carry around the small side bit. Now I have an aftermarket one. :lol:
I also tried a thin wall vacuum tube and glued it to the screw, it worked for awhile:excuseme: .

• Baron Von Beard

Posted January 23, 2007 - 07:29 PM

He's being a smart ass. He knows damn wel how to do it. :lol:

• Fastest1

Posted January 23, 2007 - 07:31 PM

Dude,
You know those all in one screwdrivers that have the small phillips and the straight blade, the other end has a regular #2 phillips and a larger straight blade, then if you pull the bit out you have a driver for 5/16 and 1/4. Following?
I know sounds a bit confusing. I think they call them 6 in 1 screwdrivers... Anyway I use to carry around the small side bit. Now I have an aftermarket one. :lol:
I also tried a thin wall vacuum tube and glued it to the screw, it worked for awhile:excuseme: .

Brass tubing tapped onto the fuel screw as an extension and then either bent over or a roll pin inserted thru a hole for turning and reference. Any small slot screwdriver tip will work but that engine is hot!

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted January 23, 2007 - 09:09 PM

By "this" I mean adjusting the fuel screw. I know what it is and what it does, I just can figure out how I'm actually supposed to adjust this thing. I never got around to buying an aftermarket fuel screw and I dont want to now because I'm selling my bike soon. So whats the best way to do it?

$7000.00 for a new bike. $20.00 for a fuel screw to make it run good. Put it in and then take it out when you sell and put it in your new bike. :lol:

• Ga426owner

Posted January 24, 2007 - 06:16 AM

The reality is it will never run properly until the screw is adjusted correctly...this kid is 18...give him a break. Go buy a zipty or other brand if you want to do it properly....10-20 bucks...and you can take it with you when you sell.....otherwise is is a real pain in the butt to do any other way and temp changes will cause you to readjust......:ride:

• yz_for_me

Posted January 24, 2007 - 07:33 AM

The best way: an after market fuel screw - or home made equivalent
The second best way: A very short screwdriver. You can get them at harbor freight for like $2.

The best way is about a thousand times easier then the second best way.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WFOracer

Posted January 24, 2007 - 08:29 AM

I never got around to buying an aftermarket fuel screw and I dont want to now because I'm selling my bike soon. So whats the best way to do it?

Something like this works great! You can usually buy something similar at Sears.
http://www.motionpro.../fcr_carb_tool/

Uhhhh, you said you don't want to know but then immediately ask how to do it...

Two different meanings!

• stock510

Posted January 24, 2007 - 05:00 PM

Heres a good how to

http://www.thumperta...ight=fuel screw

• live4speed

Posted January 25, 2007 - 09:08 AM

i adjusted mine by taking an ice pick out of a leatherman tool to turn the screw, and i used a broken cd for visuals...do what ya got with what ya got!lol

• theclone

Posted February 04, 2007 - 04:22 PM

Ok thanks for the help everyone.

oh and I didn't mean to sound like a smartass, just asking a sincere (maybe stupid) question. I just planned on adjusting it with a screwdriver once, and getting rid of the bike. But now that it looks like no one wants to buy my bike I think I'll just go out and buy a fuel screw. 20 bucks may not be a lot to some of you, but I guess I'm just cheap. :ride:

• tammie

Posted February 05, 2007 - 06:18 AM

you know those small screw drivers that you fix ur glasses with, they come in a case and there is various sizes i used a larger one and hacksawed it down so it would fix under the carb works perfect .....

• mnm567

Posted February 09, 2007 - 05:22 PM

You have heard it a hundred times, but buy the aftermarket fuel screw, any kind will work. I will also suggest to buy a tach & hour meter combo so you can precisely adjust the screw and keep track of how many hours are on you bike for maintenance reasons. A properly adjusted fuel screw could mean the difference between life and death when it comes to a tight rhythm section.
Matt

• Crabtree426

Posted February 10, 2007 - 04:30 PM

Ok thanks for the help everyone.

oh and I didn't mean to sound like a smartass, just asking a sincere (maybe stupid) question. I just planned on adjusting it with a screwdriver once, and getting rid of the bike. But now that it looks like no one wants to buy my bike I think I'll just go out and buy a fuel screw. 20 bucks may not be a lot to some of you, but I guess I'm just cheap. :ride:

I feel you brother. $20 is harder to come by when you're 18. I remember those days. In ten years, you won't think twice about spending $20 or even more in my case. Good luck. :censored:

• gonzo

Posted February 11, 2007 - 05:53 AM

I've never had good luck with the aftermarket ones. I bought the motion pro tool and I use the bit from the tool and a 9mm 1/4" socket. Works great, also works well for changing the pilot jet without rotating the carb.

• grayracer513

Posted February 11, 2007 - 06:56 AM

I've never had good luck with the aftermarket ones.

What's that about? I've never had a problem with one.

• King_Air

Posted February 11, 2007 - 03:30 PM

Yes Gonzo please let us know what problems you had. I am in the market for one myself and am trying to decide which brand to purchase. I am riding a 00 426.

P.S. I just finished the auto decomp. cam mod yesterday. Boy am I glad I finally did that!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.