'07 last year for kx250?

43 replies to this topic
  • kawasaki891

Posted 23 January 2007 - 05:54 PM

does anyone know if this is true? or is it just another rumor? this cycle shop i went to said that it was the last year for the 250.

• ebeck

Posted 23 January 2007 - 06:11 PM

Kawasakis site says one more year for the KX250. If not this year then the next. Days are numbered for the 2 strokes that is for sure.

• kawasaki891

Posted 23 January 2007 - 06:29 PM

yeah i figured they wouldnt be in production for much longer. i hope they last a couple more years. rebuilding 4 strokes and having to mess with valve clearences and timing is just a hasle, and the cost of stuff for 4 strokes is insane.

• vinilla gorilla

Posted 23 January 2007 - 06:50 PM

I really hope KTM keeps 2 strokes alive, somebody has to carry on the smoker tradition.

• Linco

Posted 23 January 2007 - 07:04 PM

Yamaha and Suzuki are seeing sales in record numbers of the 2 stroke 250s that they sell, look at the GNCC series, you do not see many thumpers there now do you?? I think that 2 strokes will still be around for a while more.:lol:

• 02YZ426

Posted 23 January 2007 - 07:24 PM

Yamaha and Suzuki are seeing sales in record numbers of the 2 stroke 250s that they sell, look at the GNCC series, you do not see many thumpers there now do you?? I think that 2 strokes will still be around for a while more.:lol:

I ran my 450 in a local harescramble... NEVER again!! too hard to ride in the tight stuff, and way to difficult to start once you stall it hot. I just picked up a KX250 for that kind of riding... There is still a big market for the 2 strokes out there, hopefully the manufacturers will keep that in mind. I suspect KTM and Yamaha will be the last to stop production on the 250. The KX's days are numbered... the 125 is already gone so Kawasaki is already on the move.

• dukeryder

Posted 23 January 2007 - 08:00 PM

I wonder if 2 strokes die, will FMX die? I haven't seen any FMX guys riding thumpers, they all look like they're on YZs, KTMs and a some Hondas. GNCC is full of smokers too.

Manf's should put more R&D into making them burn cleaner. But that would mean they'd only need to sell us a Piston every year; with a 4stroke you'll need that and Valves, CamChain, and a more junk. THumpers are great trail bikes like the KLX, Yammie TTs etc, but for racing 4strokes don't make a whole lot of sense.

• Pugnasty

Posted 23 January 2007 - 09:50 PM

I highly doubt that we will see an end to the two stroke. There is still some development work being done on those guys by the Yamaha guys. Or so they say. Even if they did get rid of the whole line up it wouldnt last long I dont think. The sales would definitely drop overall and the replacement part groups would be making a killing. And the dealers cant have that now. Way too many factory riders are losing their chances in races because of mechanical failures and that is why you see so many two's in the GNCC, that and the whole arena has opened up to guys that arent the best riders on the track and course due to the simple fact that they might outlast a four stroke that pops.

• Redbeard

Posted 24 January 2007 - 08:24 AM

And keep in mind, even if they quit making the 2 stroke, it's not as if they'll confiscate all the ones already out there.:ride: I expect my 01 to last a long time...
And correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is only an issue in North America. The 2 strokes are alive and well in other parts of the world that don't have AMA class rules to deal with. So Kawi and others will still be making these bikes even if they stop selling them in the US (let's hope it's temporary if it happens).
But if the Big 4 Japanese mfgs conspire against us, here's hoping KTM will show us some love.:ride:

• alistair

Posted 24 January 2007 - 12:09 PM

I wonder if 2 strokes die, will FMX die? I haven't seen any FMX guys riding thumpers,

in australia and here in New Zealand we hane some guys,(and a girl for that matter) using 250fs for fmx....

if kawi stop the 250 it will probaly just be in the US as we can buy 07 kx125s still

• kargo27

Posted 24 January 2007 - 01:02 PM

I read somewhere that the manufacturers will still make 2 strokes "for special purposes"...i.e....racing and MX.

I don't know why the EPA (or whomever is behind getting rid of them) doesn't just require them to burn cleaner two stroke oils or those that are less toxic to the environment, like Castor 927 which is biodegradable. Is that why they're being phased out or am I missing the boat?

Karl

• ebeck

Posted 24 January 2007 - 01:16 PM

Actually the oil in the fuel is not what causes the hydrocarbons. It is poor combustion.

It is not so much the "man". The "man" made manufacturers look close at strokes and guess what happend... 4 strokes seem to win and people seem to hit tripples alot easier with them. The emisions, that is just a bonus. I suspect they are gaining favor becasue they work better. A am certian if the thumpers made the same polution as the smokers did then then would still be doing thumpers. Manufacturers just want to win.

• kawirider6080

Posted 24 January 2007 - 04:58 PM

i cant believe kawasaki is getting rid of the 250. there was an article in dirt rider or some magazine that said kawasaki 250s would be the last 250 to win a supercross race and it would be around for a while longer. thats a scary thought 2 mfgs. have already given up. yamaha, suzuki, and ktm will stay with it for a while...(hopefully)

• BrittB

Posted 24 January 2007 - 05:49 PM

There are 4 strokes in FMX. I've seen them as of late but I don't know who the riders were. As for hare scambles, a 250F works pretty good and it seems to feel pretty close as far as weight goes.
I feel that if you really are worried about the loss of the 2 stroke, the only way for the manufactures to get the picture is in sales numbers. That's the bottom line. Sales are way down so they plan on using up the inventory of parts to make one last year run and then discontinue the model. A lot of companies do this. The difference is that you could care less about those other products. This one pulls at your heart strings. It sucks but it may be too late to turn this one around.:ride:

• berudd

Posted 25 January 2007 - 07:41 AM

but for racing 4strokes don't make a whole lot of sense.

Except for being faster, they complete suck as race bikes. :ride:

• toomanykaws

Posted 25 January 2007 - 08:54 AM

I am waiting to see if 07 is the last year. Want to pick one up. Just found a new leftover 05 KX125 for cheap. Already have an 04 KX500 new. With the 250 it will complete my collection of each models last US year.

• BrittB

Posted 25 January 2007 - 04:53 PM

I know of three brand new left over 04 KX250s, one 05 KX250, one 05 KX125, one 06 KX250, and three new 07 KX250s in the crate. They aren't hard to come by and it would seem to me that you will still be able to buy a new one for some time. It may not be an 08 though.

• dukeryder

Posted 25 January 2007 - 05:37 PM

Except for being faster, they complete suck as race bikes. :ride:

Damn you must be a pro :ride: what's your AMA ranking???

For the average weekend warrior, amateur the 4strokes are stupid unless you like to burn money.

A built 2stroke is probably as fast as a stock 4stroke for the same $$$$ and you'll have to spend 5x as much $$$ on rebuilds for the 4stroke.

Motocross is the only place 4strokes seem to be faster, off-road the top guys are still running 2strokes.

• kawasakigirl

Posted 26 January 2007 - 10:36 AM

Motocross is the only place 4strokes seem to be faster, off-road the top guys are still running 2strokes.

Define which series you are using to say the top guys. GNCC, National Enduros, and most series from the rockies East true. But if you look farther West it is dominated by strokers. Hare and Hounds, WORCs, BITD, all the top finishers are ridind 450's for the most part. However I totally agree with you on the price of upkeep. After the past three years on new KX250F, I just got sick of using all my contingency to buy valves and heads. So this year I am back on a smoker. And the reason that the factories are phasing out 2-strokes is that for motorcross and supercross 4-strokes are superior, even in the world enduros there are very few 125's in the E1 class because 250F's are faster, and hook up better. Other than in tight situations, 4-strokes are better. Its just too bad that they have to be tuned so highly to get the performance, and thus they dont last like they could/should.

• kx_rider53

Posted 26 January 2007 - 02:19 PM

Did any one bring up the displacement rule :ride: .

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.