Stripped threads in jug.

13 replies to this topic
  • InTheDirt

Posted January 23, 2007 - 04:53 PM

When I disassembled my motor, one of the head bolts came out with about 3/4" of the aluminum threads from the jug. The only Helicoils I can find are only 12mm long (M8x125). The treads in the jug are about 21-22mm. Do you think that the 12mm helicoil is enough to hold the head bolt? If not...is it possible to insert two helicoils in the same hole?

• motomonte

Posted January 23, 2007 - 05:13 PM

Yes,it should be enough.Yes,but it will be difficult to make the pitch from both threads to match.Remeber to use some good grade antizeise upon reasembly.Good luck.

• InTheDirt

Posted January 23, 2007 - 07:15 PM

OK, I guess I'll try it with just one. Unless someone has some more input on this I'll let you know how I make out tomarrow afternoon.

• honda boy

Posted January 24, 2007 - 12:09 AM

hey, i have a xr250r 01 model, and it is registed on the road, but the thing is i dont like the noise of it with the baffle in it, so if i take it out will it still be alright to be registed

• creeky

Posted January 24, 2007 - 01:18 AM

Do a search for "Keysert" and "EZLOK" thread inserts, they work well.

• InTheDirt

Posted January 24, 2007 - 02:22 AM

Do a search for "Keysert" and "EZLOK" thread inserts, they work well.

Thanks for the info. The Keysert looks like a good design, but the M8 insert is only 12mm long as well. I all ready bought the Helicoil kit...so I'm gonna try that.

• creeky

Posted January 24, 2007 - 06:20 AM

When you drill the hole for the helicoil, it is very important to get the hole dead straight. If you don't have the equipment, take the jug to a machine shop and have it done. You don't want the head bolt going in at an angle.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • InTheDirt

Posted January 24, 2007 - 01:12 PM

I noticed today that the hole is very close to the cylinder sleeve. Close enough that the helicoil tap might come in contact with it. :ride: So I attempted to torque it down the way it was. Notice I said attempted. :ride: The rest of the threads pulled out around 12#s. So I'm gonna pull the head and put the helicoil in like I should have earlier!

• InTheDirt

Posted January 24, 2007 - 06:49 PM

Took the head off, inserted the helicoil and torqued the head down without any problems. Just need to adjust the valves and get it back in the frame.

• porterdog

Posted January 25, 2007 - 03:43 AM

Awesome- glad it worked out!

• InTheDirt

Posted January 25, 2007 - 06:20 PM

Awesome- glad it worked out!

Thanks! Glad someone was listening.

Motor is now installed and oil pump is primed. If I can find another hour to work in the shop...she will be ready to fire! The pig that she is! lol

• ringding

Posted January 25, 2007 - 06:23 PM

hey, i have a xr250r 01 model, and it is registed on the road, but the thing is i dont like the noise of it with the baffle in it, so if i take it out will it still be alright to be registed

Thats nice, DONT TOUCH THE BAFFLE, haha, but, yeah, leave the baffle in

• InTheDirt

Posted January 25, 2007 - 06:45 PM

Thats nice, DONT TOUCH THE BAFFLE, haha, but, yeah, leave the baffle in

I don't know what this has to do with my stripped bolt.?? lol But my 600R is louder than my Harley! :ride:

• InTheDirt

Posted January 27, 2007 - 06:25 PM

Still waiting on a fork from ebay, but had to try and start it. Fired second kick but didn't want to idle. Then she fell off my wood "stand" snapping off the stud on the drain plug for the skid plate! :ride: I ran it a bit today and it seems to run real good...very responsive compaired to before (timing chain had jumped a tooth). At idle she pops every once in awhile, I'm thinking either plug or plug wire. :ride: Can't wait to get the fork on her and ride!!

Posted Image

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 4 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.