01 650l

12 replies to this topic
  • brightman

Posted January 23, 2007 - 04:03 PM

i recently got ahold of one of these and am new to the on/off deal,coudnt pass it up.its an 01 with 400 miles,yea never was ridden much ,only on the road.great bike though.my questions are this, it wont wheelie...i mean not hardly at all!...so whats the deal , can u tighten the clutch,or what?also imgoing to ride it on the road mostly,maybe 90%,so guys ,whats the mods i need to do to get some action out of this bike,and for better road performance.i dont want to go to extremes, but id like to have a little fun too,on the county roads,and to work daily.is this normal for one of these brp's.our help is greatly appreciated..HELP ME ... thanks...mike

• bcone

Posted January 23, 2007 - 06:09 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong on this :confused: but the consensus seems to be:
Desmog, unsnorkel, daves mods :lol: including rejetting (guessing 58 160), full system XR's only stainless exhaust, new 4-6 gallon tank (depending on how much trail vs street you do and how often you like pumping fuel) and for 90% street some Avon Distansia or Metzler Sahara tires and a Galfer stainless brakeline for the front and/or a 260mm front brake with caliper relocator from Motostrano:ride: At a minimum the Desmog, Desnorkel, Exhaust (slip on OK) and the tires.
As for the wheelie, it should do this in first stock just with the throttle and with heart and proper shift/clutch technique in second and third:eek: .

Check threads using the search for more info on each. Also check to dual sport/supermoto forum for more info.

• brightman

Posted January 24, 2007 - 04:08 PM

thanks for the info,but what do u mean desnorkle.desmog u mean take the hoses off where they come from the engine and block the holes,i assume.and where do i find daves mods ur talking about.like i said im new to this so bear with me ,and thanks again for the info bro.

• bcone

Posted January 24, 2007 - 07:24 PM

Because we all need a little help sometimes....
De smog means take off the carbon filter and hoses that lead to the airbox and cap the openings (check XR's only or ebay) De snorkel means take your seat off and drill out the rivets that hold in the little rectangular "snorkel". This should be in the Dave's mods page which is here http://www.4strokes....xr650lcarbmods/

I forgot to mention you need to put in a K&N air filter or something equivelent as well. If your really adventurous you can relocate your battery into the aircleaner and get rid of the black box (4 strokes . com)

The search function works wonders, you should give it a try!

Good luck and have fun.

• frankstr

Posted January 25, 2007 - 06:51 AM

Hey, brightman, Welcome to Thumpertalk. :ride:

:ride: :ride:

• oldchvytrx

Posted January 25, 2007 - 09:23 AM

i recently got ahold of one of these and am new to the on/off deal,coudnt pass it up.its an 01 with 400 miles,yea never was ridden much ,only on the road.great bike though.my questions are this, it wont wheelie...i mean not hardly at all!...so whats the deal , can u tighten the clutch,or what?also imgoing to ride it on the road mostly,maybe 90%,so guys ,whats the mods i need to do to get some action out of this bike,and for better road performance.i dont want to go to extremes, but id like to have a little fun too,on the county roads,and to work daily.is this normal for one of these brp's.our help is greatly appreciated..HELP ME ... thanks...mike

<<<<<<<>>>>>>>
Wheelie? Getting it to wheelie??:ride:
I've turned mine into a 676......and now the problem is how to stop the damned thing from lofting the front end :ride: :ride: :ride:
I'll try to live with it.... :applause:
Get familiar with the torque this scooter makes and getting the front end up will be way too easy trust me. :ride:
I ride with a bunch of guys who ride them stock and they have just as much fun as I do. Mine's a 02 that has a 102.4mm Wiseco kit (making it a 676cc), Cometic Gasket set, Dynojet kit, Big Gun Quiet Race pipe, and a Hot Cam. I bought it used with a few hard miles on it so it needed freshening up so I did the mods as they were cheaper than buying OEM parts, otherwise it would still be stock.
Mine runs a little faster, runs out a bit quicker, pulls a little harder, but I have just as much fun throwing a leg over my buds box stock 93.
Enjoy it, no matter what you decide to do I'm very sure the fun will still be there:thumbsup:
:naughty: :busted: :smirk:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • brightman

Posted January 25, 2007 - 03:00 PM

thanks guys,love this site, u guys are the best.im gonna have alot of fun with this bike im sure.just new to all the new technology an d experience that u guys have.its great to be able to ask somebody all these stupid questions and not made a fool of.ivw been away from bikes for awhile since i had a ktm 600 lc4.got into car racing and now my son is big into gokart racing so dont have as much time ride as id like to ,but we all have bikes and now this brp that ive got is bringing me back in the mood again..thanks again,im sure u will hear from my ignorance again.im trying to learn the site and use the search as best i can and it is wonderful..again thanks guys...mike:applause:

• rebelventurer

Posted January 25, 2007 - 04:16 PM

Welcome to TT, brightman. Wheelie Put it in 1st gear give it some revs pop the clutch, if it doesnt proceed to do a backflip, something serious is wrong. I cant seem to get mine to stop wheelieing (spelling?) through 3rd gear anyway. Do the mods as advised above, you can also regear, go to a 14 countersprocket it tightens up the first to second gap a bit and would help with your wheelie problem :ride:

• brightman

Posted January 25, 2007 - 04:32 PM

i dont know whats going on, but ive tried that and more,played around in first and have slapped the clutch going to 2nd and nothing.is it possible the clutch slips

• Jman955i

Posted January 25, 2007 - 04:34 PM

Mine is bone stock and it will wheelie just fine. Now it dosen't power wheelie, but if you put it in first take off and just whack the throttle right off it will come up and if you not careful it will come on over and you can balance it and run thur the gears.

• Jman955i

Posted January 25, 2007 - 04:42 PM

i dont know whats going on, but ive tried that and more,played around in first and have slapped the clutch going to 2nd and nothing.is it possible the clutch slips

no that wont work. you got to keep the speed low on the stocker. put in first and let off the clutch with very little throttle just enough to rolling. then just whack the throttle. It will come up.:ride:

• bcone

Posted January 25, 2007 - 07:30 PM

OR you can get going about fast in third and dump it into second and let out the clutch real fast and up she goes. Just be careful...

• hondaxrl650

Posted January 25, 2007 - 07:54 PM

I have a bone stock 07 xrl and it pulls it right up in first gear ....roll start whack throttle....it works for me .....:ride:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.