Difference between XR600 & Xr650L

6 replies to this topic
  • danbart

Posted January 23, 2007 - 11:34 AM

Hi guys,

What are the major differences bewtween the venerable xr600 & the trusty XR65L?

What does it take to turn an L into a XR600?

Thanks, Dan

• cleonard

Posted January 23, 2007 - 02:35 PM

To start with the 650L has a larger piston, but lower compression. The L weighs about 45 pounds more. Most of that weight is in the battery and the starter motor. Other that the engines are very close to the same. The suspension is very close as well. The L has a much larger stator output stock. The L's CDI is driven by the battery and the 600R is a magneto ignition. The transmission ratios are a little different. So is the final drive gearing.

Want to make an L into a R? Dump the extra weight. However that means dropping the electric start.

• trxxr

Posted January 23, 2007 - 03:01 PM

I thought the L had the same size (dia.) piston just a longer stroke? Plus no kick start on the L.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR650L_Dave

Posted January 23, 2007 - 03:12 PM

The L has a larger gap between 1 and 2, and I think a slightly diff. primary reduction ratio? Or is that the same?

Milder cam, as well.

Dave

• cleonard

Posted January 23, 2007 - 03:15 PM

I thought the L had the same size (dia.) piston just a longer stroke? Plus no kick start on the L.

I think that the R is 97mm x 80mm and the L is 100mm x 82mm.

• zodran

Posted January 23, 2007 - 05:18 PM

I think that the R is 97mm x 80mm and the L is 100mm x 82mm.

Yep, the 600 also has a slightly higher compression ratio at 9:1 vs 8.3:1 for an L.

• motomonte

Posted January 23, 2007 - 05:30 PM

I know this may have been discused before but can anyone tell me how the HP and torque figures of both bikes compare?

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.