anyone else dissapointed with 07 reliability?

92 replies to this topic
  • wy4tt

Posted February 02, 2007 - 07:53 PM

Instead of bars, I think they should put quality chain/sprockets on. Almost everyone will eventually change the bars b/c of height, preference, etc. But few seem to care about the chain as long as it doesn't stretch or wear out too fast.

• steve_97060

Posted February 03, 2007 - 10:25 PM

well here I was thinking how fortunate I was not having any of these problems I have seen listed, then I went out this morning to give the bike a once over before going riding when I noticed oil on the bottom of one of my forks, so I have officially joined the leaking fork seal club....oh boy :ride: ...

• steve_97060

Posted February 04, 2007 - 04:58 PM

Apparently my other fork, feeling left out, figured it would join the fun and is now leaking also...

• yamarider628

Posted February 04, 2007 - 05:57 PM

just got an 07 and nothing said here has been reasurring! But I just put a new chain and sprocket on an 06 and it ran the stock chain and sprocket for more than 50hrs. And really still had a little life but needed to go. Fact is we are paying 7grand for these bikes so if your not happy w/ the product your buying then theres red/orange/yellow/green/ and many other bikes you could get. I got mine the 1st day of feb. so its not even broken in yet but, its the best thing ive been on so far so basically yamaha has the best product money can buy w/ millions in Research and Development so im not complaining im just gonna ride!:ride:

• motox229

Posted February 05, 2007 - 06:34 AM

well yeah i definately know the stock drive is crap BUT...i didnt realize the life span of the chain would be THAT short. After my first day of riding (about 3 hours) i realized the chain stretched a LOT. I heard rumors that they stretch alot one and then there pretty decent if adjusted properly. So i gave it a try for another ride (2+ hours). By this time i recognized the need ot order a good chain and did so immediately. By the time the chain arrived in the mail i had about ten hours on the bike and realized the chain wore out the sprockets too much that it wouldnt be worth putting a GOOD new chain on worn sprockets. Sooo, i ordered ironman sprockets. In the time period waiting for the sprockets, the stock sprockets got so bad that i actually had to stop riding and just wait like an ass for the sprockets to arrive. The rear sprocket actually had teeth broken off. So its not like i didnt try...i just didnt know it was a race to order NEW parts for my NEW bike before the stock parts get destroyed.

I wouldnt be so dissapointed if my 04 250f wasnt so reliable. AND...I MAINTAIN MY STUFF! I can only imagine what the average joe is dealing with who doesnt really know any better about maintaining and keeping an eye on wear...alot of people dont.

For one main reason your chain wore sooner on your 450f than on your 250f is that there is much more power and torque on them than a 250f. and for anyone that orders a chain without sprokets? shame on you thats your bad, if your so much into maintenance you would have never odered just a chain . By the sounds of it you are the average joe on maintenance.

• mwr

Posted February 07, 2007 - 10:23 PM

After months of research I bought a yz 450 f 10 days ago. I am coming off a 05 KTM 525 exc I put 8000 miles in two years with fifteen dessert races in the last 18 months. I did my first race as a novice and will probably point out in the next 4 or 5 races and be bumped to expert. I wanted light and good handling but tough. I was going to buy the 300xc but just didn't like the way smokers rides. The yz is lighter, reportedly better suspension and very little maintence(aka valves).

Paid 7000 out the door two hundred more than the KTM. I loaded up on all the extras and got a 20% discount (oil, filters, set of tires, rekluse clutch, skid plate which I have not put on yet) so I saved a fair amount of money to buy a new chain which I new was junk. But like the one post said it is a mx bike with a light cheap chain. I also get 15% on parts for life.

Surprises:
1 no tool kit (how do I change the front if I flat on the trail the first ride?)
2 told I will probably need to jet it. KTM reno jets their bikes out the door.
3 hard to start. couldn't find the button!!lol it was hard to start.
4 3rd ride.. float is sticking.. already looking at sending it to zip ty because evidently it has to have the fuel screw to run proprely. The wife does not understand why my new bike does not run correctly.
5 oil cap o-ring tore, my fault.

I knew it would take money to get dessert ready and gearing and suspension work would be needed. Did not expect carb issues out of the box and it could be a speck of dirt in my gas.

I am counting on a sweet well handling bike that will only need the valves adjusted once or twice a year. I still believe I made the best choice for me.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TheCure

Posted February 08, 2007 - 07:55 AM

MWR, you could have bought a ....... WR and eliminated half your concerns.:censored:

• mwr

Posted February 08, 2007 - 09:33 PM

Thought real hard about the WR but felt like it would not be much of a change from the 525 and there is 26 lbs weight diferrence between the WR and YZ. Lateley I have been going to a MX track once a week for training and my try age group racing.

• TheCure

Posted February 09, 2007 - 11:07 AM

Sounds like you got the right bike. I went from a YZF to the WR. I should have done it sooner. I offroad way more than i ever get on an MX track.:censored:

• warrior86

Posted February 09, 2007 - 03:55 PM

Apparently my other fork, feeling left out, figured it would join the fun and is now leaking also...

hey, no one likes to be left out:cry:

• warrior86

Posted February 09, 2007 - 03:59 PM

For one main reason your chain wore sooner on your 450f than on your 250f is that there is much more power and torque on them than a 250f. and for anyone that orders a chain without sprokets? shame on you thats your bad, if your so much into maintenance you would have never odered just a chain . By the sounds of it you are the average joe on maintenance.

ACTUALLY, i was preparing to buy new sprockets, as that is what i usually do but people on THIS FORUM advised me that the stock sprockets are NOT BAD...that its the chain that F's up the sprockets and if you manage to replace the chain in time while the sprockets are good, they last pretty long.

SORRY FOR ASSUMING THAT A BIKE WITH SEVERAL HOURS ON IT WAS "IN-TIME"....my bad.:censored:

• sandfly

Posted February 09, 2007 - 04:11 PM

I would be happier if new bikes diden't even come with a chain. That is how crappy the stock ones are. I to would like to know why they do this

• yami250f

Posted February 10, 2007 - 02:46 PM

I would be happier if new bikes diden't even come with a chain. That is how crappy the stock ones are. I to would like to know why they do this

They probably do this to keep costs down. Look at the price of a 2007 yamaha compared to that of a 2007 ktm. ktm's do come with excellent parts, but they come at a price....litterally:mad:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.