anyone else dissapointed with 07 reliability?

92 replies to this topic
  • SXP

Posted January 23, 2007 - 07:23 AM

My 07 has 14 hours on it....the chain is trash, the rear sprocket is trashed, the fork seals are leaking a lil, the front "strong" excel rim has two dents in it, and the gytr skidplate didnt fit worth a shit. I am not new to bikes and i am a nut with maintenance. My 04250f has stock "generic" rims with no dings...and they've gotten some real abuse especially when i had to ride home with a flat. The fork seals never leaked one bit either. The stock chain and sprockets lasted atleast a lil longer than the 07...and 90% of these hours are pit riding, not even teh mx track. I know the yamaha powerplant is still supposed to be the most reliable but i could have gotten a honda or kawi for 1500 less. Im almost regretting my purchase. I called yamaha and they really didnt seem sympathetic of my situation which angers me even more considering this is my fifth yamaha. Sorry guys, just need to vent.

IMHO you should re-think the title of your post. It gives a wrong impression to people casually perusing this board. None of your "problems" really fall under the category of reliability and one might argue almost everything you are bitching about is self inflicted.

Sorry if I offend you, but that's my opinion - worth all of $0.02.

• Wyatt

Posted January 23, 2007 - 07:41 AM

I think you are not taking into consideration that while the same POS chain and sprocket had more life on your previous 250F, it was for a good reason. Your new 450 makes a gob more horsepower than that 250F did. It is for this reason that 450's will eat drivelines. Go buy a high dollar renthal and see how long it lasts. Chances are, it won't last much longer either. I made that mistake also.

It is true, like everyone said, that you need to invest in a good driveline for these bikes. The stock chain is good for nothing but braking in your bike at most IMO.

Leaky fork seals are a part of owning MX bikes. Try to clean it out before you panic. I have done it many, many times. Pull down the wiper and then use good thick business card to slide in past the seal and clean out around the fork tube. Most of the time, the seal it not shot, it just has some debris under it that it causing it to leak. If you clean it, it will probably seal again.

• 700MX

Posted January 23, 2007 - 08:13 AM

Leaky fork seals are a part of owning MX bikes. Try to clean it out before you panic. I have done it many, many times. Pull down the wiper and then use good thick business card to slide in past the seal and clean out around the fork tube. Most of the time, the seal it not shot, it just has some debris under it that it causing it to leak. If you clean it, it will probably seal again.

Agreed, but in 05-06 crf450's, I never had a seal leak. With the same routine on my 07 YZF, I have already had two sets go. I think the showa's just have a better sealing system than these new KYB's. In 04, my yz250 did the same thing(not quite as badly)

• Ga426owner

Posted January 23, 2007 - 08:26 AM

Agreed, but in 05-06 crf450's, I never had a seal leak. With the same routine on my 07 YZF, I have already had two sets go. I think the showa's just have a better sealing system than these new KYB's. In 04, my yz250 did the same thing(not quite as badly)700

nah....it not that the showa vs. kyb sealing system is better.....it's that the yamaha stock seal quality is less.....no problems with my 06 after switching seal brand...:lol:

• Dr.Crankenstien

Posted January 23, 2007 - 08:30 AM

nah....it not that the showa vs. kyb sealing system is better.....it's that the yamaha stock seal quality is less.....no problems with my 06 after switching seal brand...:lol:

Which Brand did you go wit?

• RORY DONOVAN

Posted January 23, 2007 - 09:17 AM

[quote name='Baron Von Beard']
and Excels are easily the best rim out there.

not trying to be an ass, but excels are junk. the heavier oem wheels that used to come on yami's were much stronger. not that there not a good racing rim because they're very light. they're just weak. the excels on my ktm were fubar within the first month of riding and so were the excels on my 05 yz 450. and i havent even begun to get crazy offroad yet

• warrior86

Posted January 23, 2007 - 09:25 AM

SXP, i dont see how everything i am bitchin about is self inflicted...unless by self inflicted, you mean RIDING the bike. To me...self inflicted means my motor blew because it was low on oil or my chain/hub broke because it wasnt properly adjusted.
Again, im not looking for pity as i know these problems are common with almost all mx bikes. I wrote this post because i am frustrated with the crap that these manufacturers are brushing off as "acceptable".

Yes, i understand a 450 is going to put more stress on parts than a 250. No need to explain simple logic to me....i believe im in college for a reason. But heres where the magic happens....

You buy a pickup truck or a mustang...an F-350 or mustang cobra has a lot more "beefed up" components than a v6 stang or F-150 right? To me, this is done for the obvious reasons. Customers would raise hell if they were blowing rears out of their cars or trucks just doing "normal" work. These vehicles are built accordingly to handle the extra power and workload. So....why is it that a 450 MX BIKE...which obviously has a lot of power, and obviously is going to be ridden hard (by most) is equipped with a bmx chain and sprockets. Nobody sees anything wrong with this?

crappy bars i can understand because there not crappy until you drop the bike...but its a disgrace that these parts are wearing out before the bike is even broken in.

and my 03 660 raptor with cams and exhaust...that stock chain and sprocket last me over a year..and i rode that thing hard.

For 7 grand, theres no excuses...were not talking about a yamaha blaster here.

just my opinion...no hard feelings tho, i love you guys

• SXP

Posted January 23, 2007 - 10:38 AM

....just my opinion...no hard feelings tho, i love you guys

No hard feelings...we love you too :lol:

• Huckster

Posted January 23, 2007 - 10:50 AM

SXP, i dont see how everything i am bitchin about is self inflicted...unless by self inflicted, you mean RIDING the bike. To me...self inflicted means my motor blew because it was low on oil or my chain/hub broke because it wasnt properly adjusted.
Again, im not looking for pity as i know these problems are common with almost all mx bikes. I wrote this post because i am frustrated with the crap that these manufacturers are brushing off as "acceptable".

Yes, i understand a 450 is going to put more stress on parts than a 250. No need to explain simple logic to me....i believe im in college for a reason. But heres where the magic happens....

You buy a pickup truck or a mustang...an F-350 or mustang cobra has a lot more "beefed up" components than a v6 stang or F-150 right? To me, this is done for the obvious reasons. Customers would raise hell if they were blowing rears out of their cars or trucks just doing "normal" work. These vehicles are built accordingly to handle the extra power and workload. So....why is it that a 450 MX BIKE...which obviously has a lot of power, and obviously is going to be ridden hard (by most) is equipped with a bmx chain and sprockets. Nobody sees anything wrong with this?

crappy bars i can understand because there not crappy until you drop the bike...but its a disgrace that these parts are wearing out before the bike is even broken in.

and my 03 660 raptor with cams and exhaust...that stock chain and sprocket last me over a year..and i rode that thing hard.

For 7 grand, theres no excuses...were not talking about a yamaha blaster here.

just my opinion...no hard feelings tho, i love you guys

I totally understand your point and agree. It wasnt long ago that they came with crappy bars as well. Maybe good sprockets and chains are next. I wish they would adapt the car mentality and offer aftermarket upgrades right from the factory. Springs that matched your weight, different bars, chains/sprockets and tires to start. I think it would go over well.

• Ranger18

Posted January 23, 2007 - 11:03 AM

Damn, I must be lucky. I've had my 06 since June and haven't had a blown fork seal yet. I use the seal saver when I transport, and I think that helps alot. Plus my local tracks arn't very sandy, so I don't have to wory about that crap getting up in there. As for the chain and sprocket, I replaced the chain right away with a renthal gold, and my sprocket still looks good. Except for the crapy chain (which like Baron said, all factorys use crap chains) the yamaha has been a flawless bike.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga426owner

Posted January 23, 2007 - 11:13 AM

Which Brand did you go wit?

I think my suspension tuner installed either Factory Connection or MSR's. I told him NO OEM after a leak at 12hrs...

Check these out:

http://www.synergyseals.com

Posted January 23, 2007 - 11:25 AM

I've read all the posts and can feel for you on the cost of buying a new bike and then having to buy parts for it 3 rides later... Your 21 and I'm 23 it's not like we have a lot of extra $ laying around.

I would like to say that I love my 07 and it absolutely rips (although Dyno testing in mags says otherwise).

Have any of you noticed that the frame is tweaked?

I've already crashed my brains out thinking my 450 was a 250 2-stroke and it doesn't seem like all of my bolts are lining up properly?

• eazrider

Posted January 23, 2007 - 11:28 AM

I replaced my chain with a Renthal Gold the day I brought it home in April of '06. It now needs replacing again (sprockets showing wear). I also replaced a fork seal in August of '06, and the same seal (L/H) is starting to weep again. I love this bike.

• YamieRider411

Posted January 23, 2007 - 11:53 AM

The stock chain and sprocket may suck but Yamaha's are probably one of the best bike sold bar none... my 2 cents...

Posted Image

• beezer

Posted January 23, 2007 - 12:04 PM

A 7000 dollar dirt bike shouldn't come with such a cheap chain. I replace the chain on any YZ I buy before I ride it.

WR's come with a high quality O-ring that lasts forever.

• Huckster

Posted January 23, 2007 - 12:08 PM

A 7000 dollar dirt bike shouldn't come with such a cheap chain. I replace the chain on any YZ I buy before I ride it.

WR's come with a high quality O-ring that lasts forever.

That is the point right there. I replaced the chain and rear sprocket on my 07 before I ever rode mine as well.

I would rather replace chains than valves...

• warrior86

Posted January 23, 2007 - 12:09 PM

i have never dropped the bike yet but i know my gytr skidplate didnt line up worth a crap since the day i got it.

• Dustin_Mabro

Posted January 23, 2007 - 12:36 PM

I've read most of the replies but not all of them so I don't know if someone has mentioned this but:

Has anyone tryed haggeling for aftermarket goodies. Like ordering a pick-up or a car from the factory, I haven't bought a BRAND NEW bike yet but plan to in the future and I plan to see if I can talk the shop into putting in aftermarket drive parts and having the suspension set up to my weight if possible. If they don't want to do it have them knock more money off and order the stuff needed from them or just find somewhere that will try to make their customer happy. Just a thought. I buy from smaller shops and don't think it would be to far fetched for me to try.....atleast i don't think...

• YZ426F Rider

Posted January 23, 2007 - 01:13 PM

I've had success negotiating first the price of the bike and then getting them to give me one shot to purchase any aftermarket stuff I need/want at the time of bike purchase at their cost (chains, tires, skidplate, rad guards, etc.). If you are financing your bike then you get it all wrapped up into one deal in addition to saving a ton of $$$ on stuff you need to buy anyways.

• WB450

Posted January 23, 2007 - 01:24 PM

How many links in a 07 YZ450 chain?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.