anyone else dissapointed with 07 reliability?

92 replies to this topic
  • warrior86

Posted January 22, 2007 - 07:12 PM

My 07 has 14 hours on it....the chain is trash, the rear sprocket is trashed, the fork seals are leaking a lil, the front "strong" excel rim has two dents in it, and the gytr skidplate didnt fit worth a shit. I am not new to bikes and i am a nut with maintenance. My 04250f has stock "generic" rims with no dings...and they've gotten some real abuse especially when i had to ride home with a flat. The fork seals never leaked one bit either. The stock chain and sprockets lasted atleast a lil longer than the 07...and 90% of these hours are pit riding, not even teh mx track. I know the yamaha powerplant is still supposed to be the most reliable but i could have gotten a honda or kawi for 1500 less. Im almost regretting my purchase. I called yamaha and they really didnt seem sympathetic of my situation which angers me even more considering this is my fifth yamaha. Sorry guys, just need to vent.

• rexbond007

Posted January 22, 2007 - 07:23 PM

i hate to tell you this but we all know the stock chain is no good, sprockets wear when chain wears, yamaha has nothing to do with gytr. the rest i can't comment on, but i my opinion the yami still produces a good product compared to my rmz i use to own. i understand you need to vent, but there is worse out there!!

• ouelto

Posted January 22, 2007 - 07:32 PM

Aaaaaaaaaaahahahaha

• grayracer513

Posted January 22, 2007 - 07:38 PM

Everyone has been saying since before I got here that OEM YZF chains (DID) were useless. Like Rex said, a worn chain trashes sprockets quickly. Poor fit of an after market part is hardly a reliability issue, and there's only one way to dent an Excel.

But, yes, the fork seals are a little annoying.

• warrior86

Posted January 22, 2007 - 07:41 PM

well yeah i definately know the stock drive is crap BUT...i didnt realize the life span of the chain would be THAT short. After my first day of riding (about 3 hours) i realized the chain stretched a LOT. I heard rumors that they stretch alot one and then there pretty decent if adjusted properly. So i gave it a try for another ride (2+ hours). By this time i recognized the need ot order a good chain and did so immediately. By the time the chain arrived in the mail i had about ten hours on the bike and realized the chain wore out the sprockets too much that it wouldnt be worth putting a GOOD new chain on worn sprockets. Sooo, i ordered ironman sprockets. In the time period waiting for the sprockets, the stock sprockets got so bad that i actually had to stop riding and just wait like an ass for the sprockets to arrive. The rear sprocket actually had teeth broken off. So its not like i didnt try...i just didnt know it was a race to order NEW parts for my NEW bike before the stock parts get destroyed.

I wouldnt be so dissapointed if my 04 250f wasnt so reliable. AND...I MAINTAIN MY STUFF! I can only imagine what the average joe is dealing with who doesnt really know any better about maintaining and keeping an eye on wear...alot of people dont.

• warrior86

Posted January 22, 2007 - 07:43 PM

what way is there to dent an excel? My tire pressure was/is according to spec and i was hitting ruts/acceleration bumps...not a boulder. Spokes were adjusted properly as well.

• grayracer513

Posted January 22, 2007 - 07:45 PM

We weren't kidding when we said the chain was junk. I brought the new chain home with the bike.

• warrior86

Posted January 22, 2007 - 07:50 PM

and also...why is it we accept the fact that these bikes are equipped with inferior parts that wear prematurely. Its just common acceptance, ok i bought a new bike...let me order new tires, new sprockets, and a chain...after just laying 6500 down for a new bike. There better off not coming with a drive system included and knocking the price down $200. I really dont hear about guys on streetbikes replacing their drive system after 2000 miles...they would have a fit. Why do we have to make up for inadequicies when the manufacturers are well aware of the problem?! :confused: :crazy: :lol:

• warrior86

Posted January 22, 2007 - 07:56 PM

We weren't kidding when we said the chain was junk. I brought the new chain home with the bike.

Agreed. But gray, dont you think its absurd to purchase replacements parts the same day you are picking up the bike. (and were not talking about exhaust and such)

And again, even with teh knowledge on this forum....not everyone is internet savvy. Should it be their responsibility to research these things prior to buying a new bike. I mean, were talking about a chain and sprocket...this isnt exactly space age technology. Its not a new design flaw...these companies know there throwing shit on these bikes. Im really not looking for anyone's sympathy, just need to shed some light on this absurdity. Im more dissapointed than anything else. But whatever, atleast the bike riiiips.

• grayracer513

Posted January 22, 2007 - 08:05 PM

I do think it's a little disappointing that that one component is so far below the quality of the rest of the bike, yes. I'm not so upset about it because I was aware of it and factored it into my original purchase decision.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kents_504

Posted January 22, 2007 - 08:16 PM

guess the aftermarket has to stay in business somehow. And everyone on this forums knows too that if these bikes came equipped like they should we'd all wanna change things out anyway, just because we could.lol.

• 700MX

Posted January 22, 2007 - 08:18 PM

Every bike out there seems to come with a POS chain.

The fork seals on this bike are unacceptable, I am very frustrated with mine too.

I am also frustrated what my 07 dyno'd out hp wise, I am not going to say cause I dont want to drop a bomb on this forum

• motoag93

Posted January 22, 2007 - 08:40 PM

I think I'll go out and find a new chain.....I think I can find the post for the best oring chain. Sorry to hear that you've had issues.

I spent soo much money on my other bike (Kawi) that I would be crushed if I started going down that path with my new one. I'll pray that I don't get cursed. :lol:

• Baron Von Beard

Posted January 22, 2007 - 09:53 PM

Every bike comes stock with crap chains, most have Sunstar sprockets, by the time the fork seals start leaking you need to have the oil changed anyway, and Excels are easily the best rim out there. I honestly don't know what you ar complaining about. Hondas come with a crap chain, steel footpegs, Sunstar sprockets, cheapo DID rims that crack at the weld and radiators made of tin foil. KTM is the only bike that comes stock with really good equipment as far as the small things are concerned but who's want one of those things?

• grayracer513

Posted January 22, 2007 - 10:08 PM

I had a seal go on the '06. Replacing it was a fairly easy job. It took me 2 hours to do the entire process of draining and refilling the original oil in both forks and damper assemblies (so that the oil would all be the same and it was time to change out the break in oil, anyway), which wasn't bad for the first time through. In some ways, it's a simpler task than on the older fork.

On the recommendation of another TT member, I decided to try the MSR seal kit. The OEM seals are surprisingly simplistic and minimal when compared to those used in the '04. The MSR seals are much more robust looking. We'll see how it goes.

The seals could easily be replaced without refilling the dampers if you were sure you could replace the oil in the outer chamber with the right type and amount to match the other side, as you would be after a complete oil change. In that case, you could do the job in under a half hour for one side.

• Baron Von Beard

Posted January 22, 2007 - 10:13 PM

I am a numbskull when it comes to working on suspension so I leave it to my suspension guru. He uses some new Factory connection seals that are supposedly really good.

• grayracer513

Posted January 22, 2007 - 10:46 PM

They could even be the same exact seals as the MSR's, for all I know.

Japanese must be a very difficult language to translate into English, because as far back as I can remember, whoever does the Yamaha manuals has been really bad at it. As a result, reading through the procedure beforehand is not always as enlightening as it might be, and one finds himself groping in the dark a bit sometimes to reconcile the text with the process. But it was really pretty simple.

The OEM oil is possibly the strangest suspension fluid I've ever seen. It looked more like snot than any kind of oil. Weird. Pours in big thick blobs, but feels very thin between your fingers.

• kyle450rider

Posted January 23, 2007 - 06:09 AM

I don't have the hours on my 2007 like some of you.But just like grey i came home with a chain knowing that these bikes like the rest come with junk chains.My seals are still good along with my sprockets.I love my bike just wish it had a bit more bottom for clearing the stuff right out of corners.I don't know what it would dyno but i dont care.I know i'm faster on it than my old honda 450.Its easier to go faster on it,i feel more in control and not worried about the front tire washing out or breaking the backend loose.I'm getting my suspension done soon and will probably add a tooth to the rear and do redbeards ap mod.Then i think i'll be on IMHO the perfect bike for me.

• Ga426owner

Posted January 23, 2007 - 07:04 AM

and also...why is it we accept the fact that these bikes are equipped with inferior parts that wear prematurely. Its just common acceptance, ok i bought a new bike...let me order new tires, new sprockets, and a chain...after just laying 6500 down for a new bike. There better off not coming with a drive system included and knocking the price down $200. I really dont hear about guys on streetbikes replacing their drive system after 2000 miles...they would have a fit. Why do we have to make up for inadequicies when the manufacturers are well aware of the problem?! :confused: :crazy: :lol:

Well until you posted this - I had little to no pity for you as if you have owned as many yamis as you say...they all have junk chain, sprockets and bars, and tires...this has been a known fact for over 10+years....I never buy a Yamaha w/o buying at least all this and more...this is after almost 10 of them...
But to your point above - I do agree....when bikes cost 3000/4000/5000 it was more exceptable to me to deal with this crap. Now that bikes are 7000 and after FI comes out 7500/8000..this is not acceptable anymore. At least Yami has started adding decent bars after 06, but the drive chain and fork seal quality is ridiculous in my opinion and a waste of metal. Soon folks MX bikes will creep up to 10 grand...and by that time I will not be on them anymore. But manufacturers need to follow the KTM plan...put quality components on your bike that last....make a MX bike "ready to race"....today most of them come...."ready to rag out" stock....it is just pitiful ...Yamaha are you listening? ....Probably not :lol:

• 700MX

Posted January 23, 2007 - 07:05 AM

I am a numbskull when it comes to working on suspension so I leave it to my suspension guru. He uses some new Factory connection seals that are supposedly really good.

I do think they are better, but after 3 rides (in cold weather) they are already starting to weap a bit of oil. I am going to try running a peice of film through, and cross my fingers

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.