Anyone running the Boysen Quickshot?

25 replies to this topic
  • buzzgrizz

Posted January 22, 2007 - 06:49 PM

Thinking about doing this mod and just would like to know the pros and cons. Thanks

• Wicked Xtreme

Posted January 22, 2007 - 06:57 PM

pro's: holds more fuel for immediate throttle response and elimniates hesitation and bog.

cons: haven't noticed a damn thing except $100 missing from my wallet.

• eli366

Posted January 22, 2007 - 07:06 PM

I am running the Quickshot on my CRF450 and I love it. They are a bit pricey, but I think they work great. The hesitation when you get on the gas is gone. :confused: :lol: I will put one on my next bike.

• 642MX

Posted January 22, 2007 - 07:42 PM

I think mine pulls a bit harder off idle. It seems to compliment the JD jet kit nicely. I'd buy another.

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted January 22, 2007 - 11:31 PM

I started running one to help keep my Rekluse from bogging out on hard throttle hits. I love it. Mine isnt the Boysen brand but a billet alluminum one. It was about 80 fun tokens.

• Goosedog

Posted January 23, 2007 - 04:09 AM

Had one on my 426 for a couple rides, didn't seem to help much. I've got it for sale cheap in the classified section.

• Ga426owner

Posted January 23, 2007 - 07:10 AM

Boyesen Quickshot or Scaryfast racing...make them now and they work on most bikes....:lol:

• grayracer513

Posted January 23, 2007 - 08:47 AM

The Quickshot is an accelerator pump cover. It's primary original intent was to increase the volume of the charged pump reservior, and to increase the refill speed of the pump so that a second or third or whatever successive pump discharge was more available. This was an issue with some of the older FCR's but isn't really a problem anymore, so it basically does nothing on a newer bike except make your wallet lighter.

It does not and cannot alter the strength, volume, or timing of the pump discharge, and so, affects nothing related to throttle response.

Black feather.

• bleedgreen500

Posted January 23, 2007 - 10:21 AM

The Quickshot is an accelerator pump cover. It's primary original intent was to increase the volume of the charged pump reservior, and to increase the refill speed of the pump so that a second or third or whatever successive pump discharge was more available. This was an issue with some of the older FCR's but isn't really a problem anymore, so it basically does nothing on a newer bike except make your wallet lighter.

This is exactly what it did for me and the boys KXF 250

• Drfletcherdc

Posted January 23, 2007 - 10:30 AM

pro's: holds more fuel for immediate throttle response and elimniates hesitation and bog.

What he said. :lol:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Crabtree426

Posted January 23, 2007 - 02:42 PM

Same here. I thought it was worth the $100. I think the powernow is the best $100 I've spent though.:lol:

• Reyndogg

Posted January 23, 2007 - 02:49 PM

I have it on my 06, only b/c i took it off my 03 when i sold it ... never rode my 06 w/o it ... o well

• James_Dean

Posted January 23, 2007 - 05:22 PM

Thinking about doing this mod and just would like to know the pros and cons. Thanks

The answer depends on the bike ----what accelerator pump diaphragm is used, if there is a leak jet, and what size the leak jet is.

The replacement pump covers can increase the pump flow slightly, similar to a step smaller leak jet size. Leak jets are an $8-10 part in the float bowl compared to an $80 pump cover.

See below-
Posted Image
Posted Image

-If you don't have a leak jet in the float bowl (like most KTM's and older YZ/WR's), then the fuel from the pump is already excessive and there is no point in adding more.

-If you have a Honda with a very short pump stroke, then adding to the pump flow can be both noticeable and worthwhile. Either a leak jet or pump cover will do this, but pump covers have more "Bling" than leak jets.

-The bikes inbetween these may or may not notice the difference when adding a Boyesen cover. Leak jets are far more effective in changing pump flow than pump covers.

Pump diaphragms have a major part in accelerator pump performance too. The shorter stroke diaphragms cut off the pump at mid-throttle (Honda mostly), and therefore make the pump more sensitive to leak jet changes or a pump cover.
See below-

Posted Image

I hope this helps.

James

• steve_97060

Posted January 23, 2007 - 05:33 PM

James, so are you saying for an 06 YZ450, the quickshot won't help? I was trying to decide on either getting this or doing the AP mod...

thanks...

• James_Dean

Posted January 23, 2007 - 05:57 PM

James, so are you saying for an 06 YZ450, the quickshot won't help? I was trying to decide on either getting this or doing the AP mod...

thanks...

The best value for the money is to see what leak jet number is in your bike and buy smaller sizes in increments of 5-10. You will have more tuning options and the same results.

Note: Any time the float bowl is drained- be sure fill the carb with fuel, tilt the carb to the right, and twist the throttle a few times to purge the air out of the accelerator pump cavity. The outlet from the accelerator pump cover is on the left and simply tilting the carburetor and pumping removes the air.

Thanks,
James

• Baron Von Beard

Posted January 23, 2007 - 06:05 PM

Thank you JD for throwing down some knowledge and shutting down the QS myth. I can't stand that thing as you are well aware and it does me good to have you confirm that it is not the solution that it is claimed to be.

• buzzgrizz

Posted January 23, 2007 - 06:51 PM

The answer depends on the bike ----what accelerator pump diaphragm is used, if there is a leak jet, and what size the leak jet is.

The replacement pump covers can increase the pump flow slightly, similar to a step smaller leak jet size. Leak jets are an $8-10 part in the float bowl compared to an $80 pump cover.

See below-
Posted Image
Posted Image

-If you don't have a leak jet in the float bowl (like most KTM's and older YZ/WR's), then the fuel from the pump is already excessive and there is no point in adding more.

-If you have a Honda with a very short pump stroke, then adding to the pump flow can be both noticeable and worthwhile. Either a leak jet or pump cover will do this, but pump covers have more "Bling" than leak jets.

-The bikes inbetween these may or may not notice the difference when adding a Boyesen cover. Leak jets are far more effective in changing pump flow than pump covers.

Pump diaphragms have a major part in accelerator pump performance too. The shorter stroke diaphragms cut off the pump at mid-throttle (Honda mostly), and therefore make the pump more sensitive to leak jet changes or a pump cover.
See below-

Posted Image

I hope this helps.

James

Thanks James,
If I heard you correct it will not improve the performance on the 00 426 or the 03 KTM ?

• Baron Von Beard

Posted January 23, 2007 - 06:59 PM

You read right. It'll make it worse. Those bikes have no leak jet, thus the AP squirt is too large and causes a bog or hesitation. Adding a QS will only worsen the problem because it will increase the squirt further. Check JD's site for a fuel bowl with a leak jet so you can tune it up.:lol: www.jdjetting.com

• steve_97060

Posted January 24, 2007 - 01:09 PM

Thanks for the excellent info James and Baron...

Man I love this site....

• mugenmxracer

Posted January 27, 2007 - 07:31 AM

The Boyesen Quickshot works very well on the Honda 150. No more hesitation and bogging.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450FX OR YZ450F by MESSMAKER

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  30 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Wilson the Blue Privateer by jetfuel

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  50 replies
Forums
Photo

BIGBORE FOR YZ450F 2006? by Taattie94

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.