05 YZ450 Cranking Sequence

2 replies to this topic
  • JCW

Posted January 22, 2007 - 04:13 PM

I just rode this bike for the 2nd time this weekend. Last weekend, I rolled it off of the trailer and it fired first kick (50 degrees) and it fired first kick throughout the day when I used the hot start lever after it was warm. I always got it to TDC before kicking.

This weekend it was colder (38 degrees). I had a harder time finding TDC with the motor cold. I kicked it about 7 times before it cranked (not sure if and when I was at TDC). It actually had 2 small backfires during the 7 kicks. After that, I cranked it two other times and the strangest thing happened both times. I was simply easing down on the kickstarter trying to work to TDC and it cranked both times while I was barely pushing down on the kickstarter. Could it be possible that this is the way to crank this bike and not give it the TDC hard full kick? If so, that's easier than cranking a 50cc bike.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted January 22, 2007 - 04:56 PM

Finding TDC is unnecessary with the Auto Decompression system. That's the original idea. (How would a starter motor know to do that?) I sometimes roll mine up against compression out of habit or to help with priming the combustion chamber, but never try to find TDC, per se. Just kick it through the whole stroke with enough force to take it through compression. Smoother and longer is better than shorter and harder.

In cold weather, you'll find that the bike likes a couple of twists on the throttle when cold, and that it will cool down to the point where it needs the choke to restart quicker than in warmer weather, too.

• JCW

Posted January 22, 2007 - 05:23 PM

What a nice surprise. You don't have to wear yourself out with big hard kicks for any reason. I'm really starting to like this bike. It may be time to become an official 4 stroker and sell the KTM 250 2 stroke.

Thanks again Grayracer513 for your help,

Related Content

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.