Is professional suspension rebuilding worth it?

10 replies to this topic
  • HawkGT

Posted January 22, 2007 - 10:30 AM

Kind of a loaded question--of course the best supsension you can have is "worth it". :lol:

Here's where I'm coming from....My 2002 XR650R rear shock is weeping fluid, AFAIK my forks have the OEM fluid in them, and I've been pushing myself and my bike harder through the desert than ever before. Not an especially good combination! Whoops, gullies, big bumps (not jumps), rocks, and all the rest--I'm hitting them harder then I've done in the past (started riding with a couple of desert racers) and am going a lot faster. For casual dual sport duty, clapped out XR650R suspension is still decent, lol. But for railing through the desert it's got me fighting the bike.

I know my suspension needs attention. I feel like the bike's weight demands good suspension. I'm just not strong enough to force such a heavy bike to do what I want for an extended period. I want my suspension to do as much of the work for me as possible. (Or maybe I just need to condition and learn how to ride--lol) I've played with the damping and it's better but I've no doubt my stuff needs rebuilt.

Will I be satisfied by putting my suspesion back to "fresh stock" or should I start gearing up to send my suspension somewhere? What would that cost? Recomendations?

• porterdog

Posted January 22, 2007 - 10:56 AM

If you're going to have someone go through the suspension anyway, IMO it only makes sense to make sure that it's sprung for your weight and valved for your riding style.

If you just had it put back to factory fresh and still weren't happy? You'd have to go through it again...

• cleonard

Posted January 22, 2007 - 11:02 AM

Kind of a loaded question--of course the best supsension you can have is "worth it". :lol:

Here's where I'm coming from....My 2002 XR650R rear shock is weeping fluid, AFAIK my forks have the OEM fluid in them, and I've been pushing myself and my bike harder through the desert than ever before. Not an especially good combination! Whoops, gullies, big bumps (not jumps), rocks, and all the rest--I'm hitting them harder then I've done in the past (started riding with a couple of desert racers) and am going a lot faster. For casual dual sport duty, clapped out XR650R suspension is still decent, lol. But for railing through the desert it's got me fighting the bike.

I know my suspension needs attention. I feel like the bike's weight demands good suspension. I'm just not strong enough to force such a heavy bike to do what I want for an extended period. I want my suspension to do as much of the work for me as possible. (Or maybe I just need to condition and learn how to ride--lol) I've played with the damping and it's better but I've no doubt my stuff needs rebuilt.

Will I be satisfied by putting my suspesion back to "fresh stock" or should I start gearing up to send my suspension somewhere? What would that cost? Recomendations?

Just fixing it is cheap. If a lot of fluid or pressure has leaked then it will sure work better. However, everyone that know who had had the suspension resprung and revalved, really liked the results. They have all said it was like they got a new bike. For best effect you need to get springs that are for your weight and riding style. Springs are usually around or a little over $100 on each end. Expect revalving to be around $140 on each end. Perhaps another $100 of other replacement, like fork bushings, if needed. If the shop is not local, you will need to ship them.

If the $300 to $600 is not in the budget and you are mechanically inclined, you can rebuild the shock yourself. It has been covered here. The total cost will be under $100. Search for it. Changing the fork oil/fluid is easy.

• SpringChicken

Posted January 22, 2007 - 11:07 AM

I think having you susp. revalved by a pro is the absolute best thing you can do to your bike.

• abby

Posted January 22, 2007 - 11:58 AM

I am not a suspension expert, but here is where I am at with this.

My bike is way undersprung (is that word?) for my weight. I am a woods rider, getting older, but still ride pretty fast/hard. I consistently bottom out, can't get the sag down to the recommended 3.75 inches. The stock bike feels like mush. I am around 290-300 pounds.

I bought Eibach front and rear springs (.49 mm/kg front and 12.0 mm/kg rear). I was contemplating having the front and rear revalved as well. I recently had some private discussions with Mr. Borynack (very helpful and smart guy as we all know). In addition to recommending the right springs, he recommended having the valving done for the "perfect" ride. I believe him 100% and will keep the information he's given me, which includes the compression and rebound shim stacks I should use for the new spring rates and my weight and riding style.

Being leery of doing the revalve work myself right now, I also talked to two local suspension shops who recommend I first try running just with the new springs. Both have said (and so have some folks here) that just having the right springs is going to be such a HUGE improvement that, unless I am MX racing or crazy jumping, I will probably be satisfied.

So that is what I am going to do. Put the new springs on, start with what Mr. Borynack recommended setting the clickers to for a start point, and give it a go. If I find I can't dial it in to what I think is perfect, then I am going to look into having the revalve done, or maybe try doing it myself at that point.

It was refreshing having these two shops be so honest - they could have easily told me that I should just have them done.

Have you checked the spring rate charts here? http://www.xr650r.bo.../suspension.htm

I would start there, you can always revalve after that.

By the way, I paid $220.00 for the Eibachs front and rear shipped to my door.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BWB63

Posted January 22, 2007 - 03:19 PM

Night and day difference having the suspension setup for your weight and riding style!!! Number one best mod you can do by far. Do you need a pro to do it? Heck no!!!! I am a pro at it and have done tons for XR650R's, it's not something you need a degree in. Nothing like biulding an engine. If you can follow directions (You don't guess at this stuff) use a torque wrench (inch pounds and foot pounds) keep things real clean going back together, and keep things in order you can do this. The information is out there to make the same or better setups of anything you can afford. There are many that have not done it that will tell you that only a pro can do it and all those making money off this will tell you that they are the only one's that can do it right. Fear and money. I do it for those that can't do or don't want to do what it takes to have a perfect finished product.

• BWB63

Posted January 22, 2007 - 03:23 PM

If your shock is low or no nitrogen pressure in the pladder your shock will leak/weap. There has to be pressure for the seal to work. Or there is a knick in the shaft. It is real hard to have a shock leak without it being one of these two things. Shock revalved/shimed, seals, bladder, nitrogen for these things would cost you $60~$80 to have some one do it for you is about $150~$200

• ccrider1960

Posted March 25, 2007 - 10:55 AM

Hi, Please send me the link for the procedure on how to do your own front suspension. I'd really appreciate it. I don't have the cash else I'd just ship it to someone. Are any special tools required? What fluid weight is used?

I am 190lbs and will be going to the Ron Grey ride in baja in 2 weeks. Need a quick job done to improve my stock pig, and need to do it myself.

Thanks,
ccr

• Denn10

Posted March 25, 2007 - 12:54 PM

CC the front is really easy to replace a spring or do a fluid change REALLY EASY Dont be afraid of that Not sure what stock oil they put in but if your manuel doesnt say then you can just call local shop to find out what they would use you could go just a bit higher on the weight oil and try that the oil is pretty cheap and fresh oil will make a difference

• rebelventurer

Posted March 25, 2007 - 12:59 PM

Heres a great website to help you figure out exactly what you need and what it will cost just fill in your info and see the reccomendations.
http://www.racetech....lish/mctype.asp

• BOLT Performance

Posted March 25, 2007 - 01:12 PM

I think having you susp. revalved by a pro is the absolute best thing you can do to your bike.

:applause:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.