xr650r vs cr500

64 replies to this topic
  • martinfan30

Posted July 05, 2008 - 01:48 PM

I'm wrong, the guy I'm thinking of is named Rich Tracy.

Rich's online name is Thumpage. He hasn't been on in awhile. Very busy at work.

• hondacrf150f1

Posted July 05, 2008 - 05:48 PM

hey guys im the owner of an XR650R Street Supermoto, and im trying to decide between 2 bikes to buy, a CR500R or CBR600/1000RR. I really want the CR for the speed but i think it will be to much like the 650R. How will the 500 be for short (less than 30) mile commutes, and short weekend tears around?

And power wise im supprised to hear guys say the 650R will take the 500??? I have a CRF450R that owns my uncorked 650 0-75. But the XR has super tall gearing, i think with low gearing it may compete with the 450.

• HeadTrauma

Posted July 05, 2008 - 05:52 PM

A 650R SM is nothing like a 100hp crotch rocket.

• xrfred

Posted July 05, 2008 - 06:14 PM

I would be pretty shure the 500 is going to have alot of vibes. You have a 650 and 450 a 500 is not going to be a big revalation to you power and weight wise. also, the 500 is not going to be easy to start as you are used to on the brp. but as a cool toy it would be awesome.

• desertrider44

Posted July 05, 2008 - 06:16 PM

i know this is a cr500 vs xr 650 but have to say kx500's won every baja 1000 in 1990's vs team honda's xr 600 and 650 until kasawsaki stopped racing baja then they won about all the hare n hound races against team honda. even now team honda switched to the 450 four strokes in baja. if 650's were better why don't they keep racing the 650's. Cr 500's and kx 500's can get to 65 hp. kx 500 when fitted with 16/42 gearing went 120mph and were much lighter than the 650's. from what i used to read team honda wanted to run the cr 500 in baja but corporate never let them so they got beat up by kawasaki. i iam sure if they did race the cr500 they would have been able to set it up like the kx's and have been more competitive or maybe won more.

• desertrider44

Posted July 05, 2008 - 06:47 PM

also the power to weight ratio is far better for 2 stroke 500's. if a 650 four stroke passes a 500 on a dry lake as soon as you get into the woops and normal desert trails the lighter weight, better handling 500 would be much better.

• eastreich

Posted July 05, 2008 - 08:50 PM

also the power to weight ratio is far better for 2 stroke 500's. if a 650 four stroke passes a 500 on a dry lake as soon as you get into the woops and normal desert trails the lighter weight, better handling 500 would be much better.

But the abrupt power of the 500 can wear a guy out just as much. I raced KX500s for years, but was not able to find the right combination of things to start winning desert races until I switched to the 650R. I loved my 500 two strokes (and still ride one every chance I get), but for me the 650 (with the HRC motor kit) is a way better race bike in the desert. I know that it isn't that way for everyone, but it is for me.

For every way fast XR650R, there is going to be somebody with a built 500 that can take it, and vice versa. This really is a pointless argument.

For hondacrf150f1: I love the idea of the CR500 SM, but you would absolutely hate it for commuting of any kind. Wherever you had to go, you wouldn't be able to feel your nuts for about an hour. The vibrations would be numbing to say the least. And I think that you would find that fuel consumption would be terrible, to say the least. But on the other hand, I'd bet that the CR SM would lay waste to the XR or CRF450 in a short drag race provided you could keep the front end on the ground!

• BWB63

Posted July 08, 2008 - 03:23 PM

You get a lot of Apples and Oranges but, I ride bikes.....

Come on bring your XR650R's, XR680R's, CR500R's, CRF450's Heck your XR650L's and the XR600's and come play at Pismo the last weekend of July! Paddles are cheap!
We should be pulling in late July 23rd and maybe stay till Monday Morning. It is real nice for the whole family. Boxing, some bring their guitars amps and drums, surf boards (wave are a little small but, they work), There has to be something to do while your healing from that last dune run. The women love to go to Morobay and see the seals and fish. We have had some real large groups in the past over 60 the year before last. The food is out of this world, Tri-Tip, Deep fried Turky, Sweet corn, you get the idea. Just sitting by the fire on the ocean listening to the waves (with a little braaap in the back ground) makes the whole trip worth it
It should be Explosive.....well maybe litteraly.

Things that help at night when the bikes are not running:

"Creamora"
"SoBe"
"Thermite"
"Tannerite"
"Magnesium"
"Mortar's"
of course none of us would do any of this......
Posted Image

• Bama1

Posted July 17, 2008 - 11:34 AM

i own both and stock for stock the xr has more top speed the xr has the wide desert gears while the cr has a close ratio tranny for mx

so pismo the weekend of july 25th?
where do y'all usually camp ill try and make it out havnt rode since i hurt my back?

• BWB63

Posted July 17, 2008 - 01:55 PM

There should be 40 CR500R's and a few XR650R's, XR400R's, CR250R's and my 680.

We should be somewhere past the four mile marker. My Toy Hauler has a big silver "Z" on the side. Dark Blue Four Door Lifted Duramax, traffic cones with caution tape from top to top. Mr. Lewis has a 39 foot Next Level with a Christain Flag and strobe light.

Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CharlesFP

Posted July 17, 2008 - 04:20 PM

My lawnmower hooks up better in the grass than both my CR500, both are stock. I'd have to say the John Deere cuts grass better than CR, although the CR does well with studded tire, which adds to the shred factor. I have yet to drive the mower on a motocross track, but I'd suspect the CR would excel in that situation because it's a purpose built motocrosser, while the Deere is designed for average sized suburban lawns. This isn't really a fair comparison because of the gearing difference and smooth power of the Deere's four stroke engine. The drag race was no contest on pavement, the CR had the Deere by 100 car lengths after 5 seconds, but they were even until the light turned green, which I suspect had more to do with overall power than gearing but I'm not sure. I haven't done any sand drags because I have yet to find a paddle tire for mower. Anyone?

• 2strokenut

Posted July 17, 2008 - 04:47 PM

My lawnmower hooks up better in the grass than both my CR500, both are stock. I'd have to say the John Deere cuts grass better than CR, although the CR does well with studded tire, which adds to the shred factor. I have yet to drive the mower on a motocross track, but I'd suspect the CR would excel in that situation because it's a purpose built motocrosser, while the Deere is designed for average sized suburban lawns. This isn't really a fair comparison because of the gearing difference and smooth power of the Deere's four stroke engine. The drag race was no contest on pavement, the CR had the Deere by 100 car lengths after 5 seconds, but they were even until the light turned green, which I suspect had more to do with overall power than gearing but I'm not sure. I haven't done any sand drags because I have yet to find a paddle tire for mower. Anyone?

Holy crap I just about spit my food out :thumbsup:

• FZ1426

Posted July 17, 2008 - 06:07 PM

Most people don't realize that you've got to ride a CR500 a lot like a four stroke. That is to take advantage of the low end torque. Otherwise the wheelspin makes it a pointless effort. I've seen a lot of goofballs trying to "drag race" in the dirt in which case a lot of bikes can pull an improperly ridden 500, with one of the biggest disadvantages of the 500 being the "CR" part. If they were geared with wider ratios it would change the equation dramatically.

It is really a pointless excercise. It's all about power to weight ratio, and nothing has a better power to weight ratio than a 500 two stroke. It's not about "drag racing" it's about the ever present danger of being able to loop out the bike in 5th gear at 70 mph with the flick of your wrist. A danger not even remotely present with any 650R.:thumbsup:

• BWB63

Posted July 18, 2008 - 01:14 PM

Ok, I do not agree that it is pointless to compare these two power house bikes. They are both Older designs, CR500R hasn't changed sence 1994, there are CR500R's with close ratio and wide ratio five/six speed trannies, In the latter years because the CR500R was used as a dessert racer not MX it is a bike to compare to the XR650R. XR650R HRC bike is 52rwhp and the CR500R is 55rwhp. They can both mow the lawn. If you gear the XR650R to the same final gearing it will flip the bike in fifth also. They both turn rev limit of 8,200rpm. When both geared the same they both go the same speed. The CR500R vibrates more then twice what the XR650R does. The Stock XR650R is no match for a street drag race for short distance against a CR500R. The CR500R gives it's power now. The XR650R is a tank on the MX track and once in the air it doesn't move much. They have a middle ground that can be shared but, they both go extreme in the other direction from there. I don't need to know the difference between the two, I own both, and have had them in many different setups. I am just finishing biulding another 5 hundy that won't vibrate me to pieces. I can't handle the AF 500's for long. Rubber mounted bar mounts with Fasst bars and bar insert damers and it is still vibrating more then I like. I am sticking with the steelies and they still have all the above to make it nice enough to ride till the tank is empty. Stock to stock these bikes don't compare but, who leaves their bike stock? So many options, heavy flywheel on the CR500R, light flywheel on the XR650R it goes no forever and that is what makes going out and riding with someone with something different fun to compare.

• FZ1426

Posted July 18, 2008 - 02:08 PM

Ok, I do not agree that it is pointless to compare these two power house bikes. They are both Older designs, CR500R hasn't changed sence 1994, there are CR500R's with close ratio and wide ratio five/six speed trannies, In the latter years because the CR500R was used as a dessert racer not MX it is a bike to compare to the XR650R. XR650R HRC bike is 52rwhp and the CR500R is 55rwhp. They can both mow the lawn. If you gear the XR650R to the same final gearing it will flip the bike in fifth also. They both turn rev limit of 8,200rpm. When both geared the same they both go the same speed. The CR500R vibrates more then twice what the XR650R does. The Stock XR650R is no match for a street drag race for short distance against a CR500R. The CR500R gives it's power now. The XR650R is a tank on the MX track and once in the air it doesn't move much. They have a middle ground that can be shared but, they both go extreme in the other direction from there. I don't need to know the difference between the two, I own both, and have had them in many different setups. I am just finishing biulding another 5 hundy that won't vibrate me to pieces. I can't handle the AF 500's for long. Rubber mounted bar mounts with Fasst bars and bar insert damers and it is still vibrating more then I like. I am sticking with the steelies and they still have all the above to make it nice enough to ride till the tank is empty. Stock to stock these bikes don't compare but, who leaves their bike stock? So many options, heavy flywheel on the CR500R, light flywheel on the XR650R it goes no forever and that is what makes going out and riding with someone with something different fun to compare.

Actually I don't think they've changed since '92 which is the model I used to have and the point I'm speaking from. I just picked up a cherry '01 and can't wait to feel that rush again.

I also used to have a very fast 650R and I suppose you could build one to be as violent as a 500 but it probably wouldn't last long. For that matter I suppose a KTM 950 would make a 500 feel slow. But neither of those bikes weighs 220 lbs!:thumbsup:

• hondacrf150f1

Posted July 18, 2008 - 05:57 PM

Thats awsome, each sentence gets better and better!!!

• teemtrubble

Posted July 19, 2008 - 11:38 AM

Hahahahaha this is a pretty good thread and been going for six months. Who really cares how fast they go in a straight line. What do I know...

• BWB63

Posted July 29, 2008 - 03:06 PM

Mike, you know that those burnt till bleading calves hurt! Skin pealing off, looked like past well done. It was a fun Pismo trip! Thermite on the top of the hill, movies on the big screen in camp, fire works, and a ton of bikes! Very big group.

I had the CR500R with 13/45 sprockets and it was nicer then stock gearing of the CR500R, still quick but not the grunt of my 680cc bike, CR500R of course turns better but, it's not no AF either. I was lugging the bike up an small dune with a little lip and was expecting to get little air but, as the bike lugged I went to full throttle and the CR came to life as the front tire was leaving the dune launching the bike leaving me in the sand. Some plastic and a new pipe and it will be good to go again. This forced me back onto the 680 XR and running them back to back like that gave a whole new respect for my sick 680. I have no reserve that it would still move forward faster in the sand then the CR.......

• Kenzo

Posted July 30, 2008 - 05:42 AM

so where r the pics & vids?!? ;)

...especally the one of u launching the CR :ride:

:p

• BWB63

Posted July 30, 2008 - 07:34 AM

I am hoping for some pictures to be sent from others. I didn't take much myself. The Thermite on top of the hill was amazing. There was a lot of video and pictures of that. The whole beach just stopped when that went off. All the music stopped, the riding stopped, the fireworks stopped, you could see everything. I stopped and talked to another TT'r with a XR650R with a 606 on the back (I think his name was Troy). There are not many XR650R's on the sand so, when I see one I try to stop and talk, good chance they have been on this group. There was three or four guys that have XR650R's that were in our group but, I was the only one that was riding one. It was a very large group:ride:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.