xr650r vs cr500

64 replies to this topic
  • Hondathumper450

Posted February 23, 2007 - 06:46 AM

Now tell me what you really feel!

• fourstrokin650

Posted February 23, 2007 - 07:04 AM

It's an apples to oranges comparison. The CR500R is designed as a MX bike and the XR650R is designed as a desert or fire road bike. Stock bike to stock bike, the CR500R with stomp a XR650R on a MX track. Out in the desert or on long open fire roads, the XR will have the advantage. Both bikes can be modified in more ways than any one person could imagine and each could be built to beat the other one. So, as usual, the whole argument is nothing more than a waste of time.

Well said! Especially the last sentence. :applause:

• cybermecium

Posted March 07, 2007 - 10:20 AM

I have a 1994 CR500 with a 13 oz flywheel weight, and 15/47 gearing. 1992 and up CR500's also have wider ratios between 3rd-4th and 4th-5th. I have the Honda service manual with the specific trans ratios if anyone wants to know. The heavy flywheel does wonders for traction, makes it feel almost like a 4 stroke in the low RPMs. Either way, with the combination of the flywheel weight, gearing, and the long-pulling 4th and 5th, plus the power of a slightly modded (reeds, .020 over piston, pipe and jetting) 500-2 stroke. I don't see how a stock 650r could hang on a straight. Then again, I haven't raced one yet so I don't know.

PS I weigh 125 pounds so the 500 doesn't even feel me.

Jake

• wickedsprint

Posted March 07, 2007 - 09:15 PM

I have a 1994 CR500 with a 13 oz flywheel weight, and 15/47 gearing. 1992 and up CR500's also have wider ratios between 3rd-4th and 4th-5th. I have the Honda service manual with the specific trans ratios if anyone wants to know. The heavy flywheel does wonders for traction, makes it feel almost like a 4 stroke in the low RPMs. Either way, with the combination of the flywheel weight, gearing, and the long-pulling 4th and 5th, plus the power of a slightly modded (reeds, .020 over piston, pipe and jetting) 500-2 stroke. I don't see how a stock 650r could hang on a straight. Then again, I haven't raced one yet so I don't know.

PS I weigh 125 pounds so the 500 doesn't even feel me.

Jake

I owned a KX500, which was an animal, two strokes feel faster than they are. My 650R is quicker in the dirt, 4-strokes hook better in the dirt since the firing pulse is not as often, sort of like a basic form of traction control. On the street the KX500 was a bit quicker when geared for the same topend as my 650R. I would have no problem lining up against a 500 pinger in the dirt for a little sand drag. I rode a CR500 a few weeks ago, pretty violent power delivery, but it just wheelspins.

• CRF500

Posted December 27, 2007 - 07:28 AM

For what you guy's are talking about a dyno does not lie.Which ever one makes a good bit more torque will excellerate faster and which ever make more Peak HP will run a higher mile an hour.

There are some CR 500's around that will run 10's and with juice run 9's. A freind of mine even has seen quit a few times a KX 500 on nitro run high 8's. a xr 650 with a turbo would go real good.

They can both be modified stock CR 500 on a dyno jett will make 55 RWHP and with a 39.5 carb and a good less restirictive silencer will make 60.

Anybody who builds a CR500 and does not put at least a 44mm carb on it and build a custon pipe is not making much more power than stock.

A correct running 2 smoke cc per cc will stomp a 4 stroke all things being equal. These guy's who claim their 2 strokes are so quick who do not build a pipe for it and add doulbe carburation do not know what the hell they are talking about.

That is why the new GP bikes 4strokes are 1000cc's compared to 500 when the smokers were running. They were getting 200 HP out of a 500cc 4 cylinder smoker.

• Maroast

Posted December 27, 2007 - 03:10 PM

That is why the new GP bikes 4strokes are 1000cc's compared to 500 when the smokers were running. They were getting 200 HP out of a 500cc 4 cylinder smoker.

yikes! 200hp out of a 500cc two stroke! Didnt kawasaki make a 750cc, 3-cyl two stroke production bike back in the 80's or something?

This guys a sick-o! he made a cr1000 by "slapping" two cr500 motors together....monster torque!!!

http://www.trickraci...nto 1000cc.html

• Britincali

Posted December 27, 2007 - 03:15 PM

So, as usual, the whole argument is nothing more than a waste of time.

:banghead: :busted: :D

I know my 2000 would EAT an XR in the dunes :D :D :D :ride:

• BWB63

Posted December 27, 2007 - 11:48 PM

:banghead: :busted: :D

I know my 2000 would EAT an XR in the dunes :D :D :D :ride:

Ask Mr. Lewis how his Nitrous CR500R faired against the 680cc XR at Pismo! Oh, wait you may have been there but, weren't you to drunk to ride:p Now Paul can ride (even with a haging over) but, still didn't beat the XR at the drags.

http://borynack.com/...o/Pismo2006.wmv

• Britincali

Posted December 28, 2007 - 08:12 AM

Ask Mr. Lewis how his Nitrous CR500R faired against the 680cc XR at Pismo! Oh, wait you may have been there but, weren't you to drunk to ride:p Now Paul can ride (even with a haging over) but, still didn't beat the XR at the drags.

http://borynack.com/...o/Pismo2006.wmv

Unless your talking about a different trip J didnt use the NOS at pismo, he also weighs 300+ lbs.

• BWB63

Posted December 28, 2007 - 10:06 AM

Unless your talking about a different trip J didnt use the NOS at pismo, he also weighs 300+ lbs.

That was August 2006 and to be fair he wasn't real up to speed with the nitrous use but, in the end every clean run thee 680cc bike won. Yes, Jay is 270+ pounds and 6'8", I was 190 pounds 5' 10", and lot of the runs on the 680 XR were done by Rich Tracy @ 210 pound I think. CR was running a 14 paddle, XR a 10 paddle with gearing to pull 120mph 15/46 and all second gear starts. CR is ported, big carburetor, nitrous, pipe and what ever else he had done at the time. XR680R was 72bhp/58rwhp with 47 rwfp torque. 11:1 piston, 3mm oversized intake, 680cc bore, high lift/long duration cam, 42mm pumper carb., Moriwaki header/muffler. None of the CR's took my bike at pismo without Nitrous when you were there this last trip. Paul did a couple runs also. I have ran against many CR5's on the dry lake bed and though they stay with me till forth the gearing and the horsepower to pull it leaves them behind. When the chips are down there hasn't been a CR500 that has taken this bike yet. I believe a Nitrous CR5 could take my bike with less paddles and the right gearing but, they all have one of these, 14+ paddles, exstended swingarms, and lower gearing. They throw a lot of sand but, don't move the bike forward fast enough. My bike is getting tired now and soon someone with the right setup will out run it. Three and a half years and nothing has out ran it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 2strokessuck

Posted July 03, 2008 - 08:52 PM

Hey! I'm surprised to find this thread because not only do I own a cr500 and an xr650r, but I know Brit and Jay and we will all be in Pismo in about 2 weeks! Maybe I will bring my BRP after all, sounds like the cr500 Hoons are gonna need to prove themselves! I know one thing, my cr500, and the ported one I recently sold, will not take my xr650r after 4th gear. Jay Lewis has some custom piped, nitrous cr500's, but I think the xr650r will take them given enough room. In any case it sure is gonna be fun times.:thumbsup:

• motopat651

Posted July 03, 2008 - 09:36 PM

I've raced both.I currently own An XR650R.I've owned a KX500 in the past.In my opinion,both bikes being set up correctly for the application,the two stroke would be faster over a wider variety of terrain.But the XR is more comfortable at speed than the two could ever be.On a 500 when your over 100mph ,you know it.Every thing is fighting you,But on the big XR just floats along as happy as can be.I love it!:thumbsup:

• HeadTrauma

Posted July 04, 2008 - 06:38 AM

It's an apples to oranges comparison. The CR500R is designed as a MX bike and the XR650R is designed as a desert or fire road bike. Stock bike to stock bike, the CR500R with stomp a XR650R on a MX track. Out in the desert or on long open fire roads, the XR will have the advantage. Both bikes can be modified in more ways than any one person could imagine and each could be built to beat the other one. So, as usual, the whole argument is nothing more than a waste of time.

+1. It held true in 2007...it still holds true in 2008.

• BWB63

Posted July 04, 2008 - 07:55 AM

Hey! I'm surprised to find this thread because not only do I own a cr500 and an xr650r, but I know Brit and Jay and we will all be in Pismo in about 2 weeks! Maybe I will bring my BRP after all, sounds like the cr500 Hoons are gonna need to prove themselves! I know one thing, my cr500, and the ported one I recently sold, will not take my xr650r after 4th gear. Jay Lewis has some custom piped, nitrous cr500's, but I think the xr650r will take them given enough room. In any case it sure is gonna be fun times.:p

Jay's Nitrous bike would leave a nice stock XR650R in the sand drags. IT took the 680cc XR to beat it. I think the biggest difference is the 680cc bike was running a 10 baddle and the CR500's where all running 14~16 paddles. The stock XR650R had a 10 paddle also and it did ok even against these trick CR500R's and would stay in the pack. It looks like I won't have a bike for this Pisom trip. I have two CR500's I was biulding but, they are not moving along, I ran into trouble with one and was going to get parts from someone off the Banned CR500R group but, it fell through. I hate it when everything stalls out. I will still be there! I am working on lots of big things that will have fuses and should be seen from a long way off. :thumbsup: Power junkie! If you can't move across the ground....move the ground. My XR680R is in need of being rebiuld, I should have put my time and money into it, instead of waisting it on these two CR500R's. Pismo is a awesome fun trip and I am suprised I come home each year.....

• Britincali

Posted July 04, 2008 - 09:23 AM

See you out there man :thumbsup:

• martinfan30

Posted July 04, 2008 - 12:27 PM

Hey! I'm surprised to find this thread because not only do I own a cr500 and an xr650r, but I know Brit and Jay and we will all be in Pismo in about 2 weeks! Maybe I will bring my BRP after all, sounds like the cr500 Hoons are gonna need to prove themselves! I know one thing, my cr500, and the ported one I recently sold, will not take my xr650r after 4th gear. Jay Lewis has some custom piped, nitrous cr500's, but I think the xr650r will take them given enough room. In any case it sure is gonna be fun times.:thumbsup:

Say hi to Bruce for me.:p

• 2strokessuck

Posted July 04, 2008 - 12:58 PM

Ok so the BRW63 guy is Bruce? I might know him. Was he on the Glamis ride last year with the cr250 and the xr650 and a Jeep? I was there with a red Wrangler and a small trailer witha cr500 and a 4x4 quad.

• 2strokessuck

Posted July 04, 2008 - 01:02 PM

I'm wrong, the guy I'm thinking of is named Rich Tracy.

• martinfan30

Posted July 04, 2008 - 01:05 PM

Ok so the BRW63 guy is Bruce? I might know him. Was he on the Glamis ride last year with the cr250 and the xr650 and a Jeep? I was there with a red Wrangler and a small trailer witha cr500 and a 4x4 quad.

Yup. BWB63 is Bruce.

• BWB63

Posted July 04, 2008 - 02:36 PM

That sounds like Rich Tracy, he has a white Jeep and small trailer, I have a 06' GMC Duramax lifted with a white 27' toy hauler with a huge Z on the side and tons of stickers on the back door. I have been to a few rides with Jay Lewis and Rich Tracy. I have been a quite a few ride all over. I have only gone on four big rides this year and I need to get the time to work on my own bikes. I have come to the point that I need to spend money if I want to ride again.

I have a Black CR250R and a Black and Red XR680R

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.