xr650r vs cr500

64 replies to this topic
  • steed2

Posted January 22, 2007 - 10:12 AM

Has anybody actually raced a cr500 cause if u look around people are claiming them to have 62 horsepower yet my xrr is yet to be beat and ive raced lots????

• cleonard

Posted January 22, 2007 - 10:46 AM

Has anybody actually raced a cr500 cause if u look around people are claiming them to have 62 horsepower yet my xrr is yet to be beat and ive raced lots????

On a MX track, or a drag race? On the track a later CR500 will kill an XR650R. The 650R is 50 or 60 pounds heavier. Ready to do triples on the 650R? In a drag race, the 500 just doesn't have the gearing to outrun the 650R.

Once you have more torque than traction it doesn't matter how much power you make. However, I would imagine that the 650R does have more torque at low revs.

• Tornado-Piston

Posted January 22, 2007 - 01:11 PM

I have an cr500, I would love to race an xr650r.
here are the 2 best vids that i have seen on the internet,(the last one is of me)
http://videos.street...3dddfae324f.htm

http://video.google....489353&q=sept24

• 2000 xr650r

Posted January 22, 2007 - 02:08 PM

My neighbor has a nice 88 cr500. It was just rebuilt and has a fmf pipe/ scilencer. I let him ride my 650r, he came back and said you aint got a chance. I said we will see about that. The fist race on dirt, I smoked him because he just spun out. I gained 3-4 bikes before he topped out, i still had 5th gear!!! On pavement We where very evenly mached but he had much lower gearing with gives him a advantage in acceleration. I alway got a bike off the line and then we stayed even until 60-65mph and i just leave that thing in the dust! The 650r is king as far as i am concerned. I would not be scared of a cr500. They feel very fast but the power is very abrubt and they just spin everywhere giving them a huge disagvantage racing off road. I will be getting a video of me racing a cr500 as well as 450's when it warms up.

• steed2

Posted January 23, 2007 - 06:03 AM

Ya i m confused cause everybody say, there this and there that, but if anybody gets a chance to race a cr500 on an xr650r do it...youll be surprised....I would say the 500 is equal to a 450 by means of acceleration ...and im not talkin about wheelspin either cause when we raced his bike was hookin up ...man the 500 is quick ...but i NEVER got passed the 650????? {62 hp ....hmmmmm} i dont know about that . And its not just this guys i raced another 1997 500 ....same thing?

• Tornado-Piston

Posted January 23, 2007 - 06:21 AM

Im fairly new to my big 2 stroke.
let me say this, its the most acceleration i have ever felt. i almost never hold her wide open, well i do, but only in 4th and 5th. i tried it once in 3th and fliped over. it will power wheelie in 5th at very low rpm, and can still power wheelie 5 mph before the max speed.

• 2000 xr650r

Posted January 23, 2007 - 01:40 PM

Yes after riding both youd say the cr500 has more acceleration. It feels faster than the 650r. Although it can not compete with the steady touqrey pull of a uncorked 650r. As far as your power wheelies it should wheelie in any gear. When a stock geared 500 is topped the 650r is mid range in 4th gear.
My point is, if a 650r was geared equal to the 500, it would flat out waste it. Stock vs Stock (from my experience) they are nearly even until 60-70 when the cr500 is topping out. Not strirring a fight with the cr500 rider, just my thoughts.

• Thumpage

Posted January 23, 2007 - 09:21 PM

I have ridden with & raced a few CR500s offroad and in the dunes. I have come out on top more often than not,(so far). The CR500s are no doubt very quick but they lose much of their power effect in certian terrain due to wheel spin. From their abrupt, snappy big power they feel as if they would be much quicker but that just does translate out to be the case. As far as speed, the BRP has it without a doubt.
On open fireroad turns, the CR500s can get squirrely due to major wheelspin while the BRP can pass them by with more controlled power. In some terrain conditions the CR500 can beat the BRP in the short sprints. In these scenarios with a bit more stretch, the BRP will usually start catching and overtaking the CR500 by 4th gear. The terrain will partially dictate how well they stand up to each other when accelerating.

• kball

Posted January 24, 2007 - 01:15 AM

I have both bikes. Both are street legal supermoto's and I put them both in dirt trim as well as sumo. There is no way the XR stays with the CR on pavement. I think that cr500's and kx 500's are kings in dunes. The XR is deceivingly quick, much like a v-twin sportbike. The power comes on so smooth it doesn't feel like you're accelerating as fast as you really are. It all boils down to the rider, as always. Sure, the XR puts down power easier. The stock gearing on a CR500 is pretty steep. 14/51 for most years. I usually run 15/48 and have more top speed than you can use in the dirt and it gives first gear some useable power. With a capable rider the CR is a scary fast woods bike and with a 10 paddle tire in the dunes there aren't many things that will pass it.

The XR is really easy to go fast on though, which is what I really like about it. It's a cadillac on gravel roads and whoops. Doesn't like to fly as much as the CR does, but that's not what it was meant for. Pigs aren't meant to fly. Unless you push them to...

• -Robbie-

Posted January 24, 2007 - 04:23 AM

I have both and raced both, the 650 was slightly modified with 15/47 gearing and the 500 is modified quite a lot with 15/40 gearing ( dont think there is any more that can be done to the motor, ported,lightened,balanced,carb bored and even had a 86 head fitted) so I s'pose its not really a fair comparison but the 650 never came near the 500 in acceleration from start or top end speed. The 650 topped out at 167km/h and the 500 did 190+km/h with the 500 carrying 30kg more.
It will be interesting to see how the 650 goes with the 680 kit,knife rod and cam, should even things up a bit but I still dont think it will beat the 500.
I am not trying to make the 500 sound unbeatable or favouring it in any way, if I was I wouldnt be spending all this money on the 650 but thats the way mine go.
Robbie

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BWB63

Posted January 24, 2007 - 07:03 AM

Stock uncorked = 44rwhp/55bhp, header/muffler/carb = 48rwhp/59bhp, 680cc with all the extra's = 58rwhp/72bhp. My XR680cc bike won everything at the sand drags......yes, everything. The trick banshee's running alcohol would get me off the line, the North star buggies looked a lot faster but, Second was a CR500 on nitrous. I think if the guy on the CR500 would have gone with less paddles, stock swing arm (his is extended), weighed less and was able to control the bike (he had a hard time getting the nitrous back on after the shift) he would have taken me. All the stock engine XR650R's didn't stand a chance. So, as for the engine reving slower making the bike slower; I didn't see it. Now for top speed? I couldn't get much more then 102mph with 48rwhp. I am getting 118 with 15/47 gearing now at 58rwhp. I can't pull that with a stock bike. I think the bike might rev slower with the heavier weisco piston but, it developes much more torque sooner to make up for it. I think that equels more traction for the added horsepower. If you are insane and want it to rev quicker, lighten the flywheel 12~16oz. The CR500R Mr. Lewis is running is ported polished, everything you can do to make it the fastest CR500R you can have. A CR500 geared for the same speed will beat a XR650R if you have good traction for the CR500 but, I haven't found a CR500 that can take my 680cc XR.

Here is Lewis' CR500 Nitrous bike:
Posted Image

I wish I would have snapped a shot of the bottle under the rear fender, maybe next time. He couldn't take me at the dry lake bed either.

• steed2

Posted January 25, 2007 - 06:20 AM

I'd like to see somebody touch nearly 200 kilometers per hour on a cr500.......lol

• -Robbie-

Posted January 27, 2007 - 02:55 AM

I'd like to see somebody touch nearly 200 kilometers per hour on a cr500.......lol

Come down our way in early June , Finke Desert Race is on then and before the 450's became so popular the CR500's had won 12 years in a row with a lot of the top riders on them. All the top 500's will do 180+km/h on the road sections, quite a few still running now. A lot of the top 4 strokes will do the same speeds, seen a KTM 580 clocked at 187km/h on the GPS.
Robbie

• BWB63

Posted January 27, 2007 - 10:07 AM

On Zoo road during the Baja 250 I reached 118.6 mph (190+ kilometers per hour) on the dirt using 15/49 gearing. I held close to that for many, many miles on my XR680cc bike. Once you add 14hp to a 44hp bike it makes a big difference. Barnum told me he was doing well over 122mph in the dirt during the baja 500 running 15/47 gearing. I will get a true reading on the dry lake bed today with 15/48.

• Thumpage

Posted January 28, 2007 - 07:05 PM

The 680 is a different issue altogether. If the info. is mostly honest about the lightly or fairly modified 650s, they acheive somewhere in the 110-114mph range with the right gearing. Stock internal motored Xr650Rs with full exhaust systems and the usual exterior mods, I have heard average (GPS) anywhere from 102mph like Bruce has said he could acheive to 107mph on road, from a Baja racer from another group. It is at least kinda important to keep it apples to apples as much as possible. It's hard enough keeping it that way as it is with the level of differences and strength attributes each of the bikes have. A CR500 at around 100mph must feel very twitchy I'm sure. Where as the 650 is much more comfortable and controlable. A steering damper would even things out some but the XR would still be generally much more tolerable if not just in the buzz factor alone.
If it was tight terrain with hookup, the CR500 could roast the BRP on a spit. It is just the way things are.
I believe the KX500 to be more of a threat to a XR650R in general overall terrain. I think they are the better weapon of choice in generally more open terrain, between the two 500s. (my humble opinion). They have that quickness, a broader powerband and a top end speed generally excepted to be potentially higher than the CR500. Not to mention the frame geometry,( = stability), to better handle top speeds when called upon for any length of time. Again, there is the buzz factor though.

• Thumpage

Posted January 28, 2007 - 07:19 PM

The 680 is a different issue altogether. If the info. is mostly honest about the lightly or fairly modified 650s, they acheive somewhere in the 110-114mph range with the right gearing. Stock internal motored Xr650Rs with full exhaust systems and the usual exterior mods, I have heard average (GPS) anywhere from 102mph like Bruce has said he could acheive to 107mph on road, from a Baja racer from another group. It is at least kinda important to keep it apples to apples as much as possible. It's hard enough keeping it that way as it is with the level of differences and strength attributes each of the bikes have. A CR500 at around 100mph must feel very twitchy I'm sure. Where as the 650 is much more comfortable and controlable. A steering damper would even things out some but the XR would still be generally much more tolerable if not just in the buzz factor alone.
If it was tight terrain with hookup, the CR500 could roast the BRP on a spit. It is just the way things are.
I believe the KX500 to be more of a threat to a XR650R in general overall terrain. I think they are the better weapon of choice in generally more open terrain, between the two 500s. (my humble opinion). They have that quickness, a broader powerband and a top end speed generally excepted to be potentially higher than the CR500. Not to mention the frame geometry,( = stability), to better handle top speeds when called upon for any length of time. Again, there is the buzz factor though.

• Thumpage

Posted January 31, 2007 - 10:42 AM

How did the dry lakebed run go with the 680 and 15/48 gearing? :ride: I am sure there are a few waiting to hear the outcome. :ride:

• GOTWHEELS

Posted January 31, 2007 - 11:26 AM

I own A CR500 now, but ten years ago when I had A XR600 my bother called, he wanted to go riding and he was going to show me how to ride. Well he showed up with A CR500, we rode hard pack roads and he could'nt touch the XR600. Four strokes will get better traction.

• SlickitySloan

Posted February 22, 2007 - 09:29 PM

I road raced my xr650 for three years against a couple of CR500's which were more modded than mine also a KX500, all in motard trim. The CR's were the fastest, they also hed the better riders as well but the xr got good drive out of the turns but the cr's ripped on the straights once on the pipe. They were getting 177km on the front straight at our track and my best was 165km. They also carried more corner speed that the BRP could manage. The fast guy on the cr was pulling 1.17 laps on his bike and he borrowed mine when his crank blew one weekend and his best was 1.19 on the xr. (my best was 1.24 so I knew I still had some learnin' to do)

The KX500 was close to stock and pretty matched to my XR outside of me meking more mistakes. I could get away with more errors that he could though with the great drive out of the turns. A KTMLC4 640 also rn with us and it was pretty much identical to the XR650.

I could not tell you about how they compare in the dirt but it is mostly for talking over beers and web forums cause I love my BRP.

• jbird710

Posted February 22, 2007 - 10:27 PM

It's an apples to oranges comparison. The CR500R is designed as a MX bike and the XR650R is designed as a desert or fire road bike. Stock bike to stock bike, the CR500R with stomp a XR650R on a MX track. Out in the desert or on long open fire roads, the XR will have the advantage. Both bikes can be modified in more ways than any one person could imagine and each could be built to beat the other one. So, as usual, the whole argument is nothing more than a waste of time.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.