the rekluse e axle any one use it

11 replies to this topic
  • dwnlowx

Posted January 22, 2007 - 09:57 AM

i have been looking for more things to help out on my riding im getting very fast and it dose get dangeous as we all no but any wayz im looking at this rekluse e axle it says it changes something 4 mill what is that any help works thanks

• Baron Von Beard

Posted January 22, 2007 - 10:10 AM

The offset will help the bike turn better, but I have read that the thinner axle actually allows flex and can throw off trail and offset measurements because of it. I would just go with some clamps if it were me.

• grayracer513

Posted January 22, 2007 - 10:16 AM

What year is your bike?

• dwnlowx

Posted January 22, 2007 - 10:17 AM

im on an 04 and i got a set of dh1 triple clamps

• grayracer513

Posted January 22, 2007 - 10:19 AM

Are the clamps a stock offset, or non-standard?

• dwnlowx

Posted January 22, 2007 - 10:58 AM

stock off set with different bar positions

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • King_Air

Posted January 22, 2007 - 11:52 AM

My understanding of the Rekluse e axle is that it is best suited for testing to determine the amount of off set clamps to install. I agree with Baron's comments on the thinner design of the e axle.

• grayracer513

Posted January 22, 2007 - 12:03 PM

I would recommend that before you dump $400 some dollars into a set of offset clamps that you either borrow a Rekluse axle from someone or ride a bike like yours equipped with the clamps you are considering. Decreasing the offset, and thereby increasing trail, does make the bike easier to turn in at lower speeds, but there are other effects associated with the change that you may not like. As trail is increased, the sensitivity to off-angle front wheel strikes increases as well, and the bike will start to feel nervous at speed. This may not be an issue on shorter MX courses, but it's not something a desert rider will like at all.

The Rekluse axle is a high quality part, and even though smaller in diameter, it is not likely to flex when properly torqued up because of how well supported the whole assembly is when in place. It is smaller, and it could be argued that that makes it weaker, but it is certainly a good way to experiment with various offsets and compare them before choosing one to stay with, and in the case of some older models, it may be the only way to alter the trail, since special offset clamps are not usually available for bikes more than 2-3 years older than the current models.

• Baron Von Beard

Posted January 22, 2007 - 04:36 PM

Good points, as always Grayracer.

One thing to consider before going with 22.5mm offset clamps like Chad Reed and the rest of the pros is this, they are running steering stabilizers to make up for the shakiness at speed that comes with additional trail. That much trail without some sort of stabilizer would cause the front end to be very busy at speed and through rough and rutted sections.

• Wyatt

Posted January 23, 2007 - 07:03 AM

I would recommend not skipping English class so much and learn to form a sentence that someone can understand without making their brain hurt.

• dwnlowx

Posted January 23, 2007 - 09:08 AM

well thanks to everyone but wyatt<haha> ,now that sucks about the clamps because i just bought some and i would love to turn better so ill have to think about this one ,i think i might like adjustabillity of the the rekluse axle no body runs it all the time or what it sounds like its a good item to me

• youngwerth

Posted January 23, 2007 - 11:46 AM

The e-Axle has shear strength equal to or better than the stock axle. Shear is the force acting on the axle trying to break it from a hard landing. The e-Axle's "bending strength" is slightly less than the stock axle (keep in mind that the e-Axle's spacers, compressed together from the axle nut torque essentially form a single piece making the whole assembly stronger than just the center axle itself).

All of this is somewhat of a moot point. The e-Axle is substantially stronger than the components it supports. Take off your wheel. Push the bottom of your fork leg towards the frame. It bends easily. Grab an e-Axle hold it with one hand an inch apart from the other hand (the bending moment between fork fist and the wheel bearing). Try to bend it. You can't.

There is no perfect triple clamp offset for all conditions. That's the best thing about the e-Axle. You can tune your steering for different riding conditions.

BTW, lots of people run it all the time. John Beale, WORCS #13 Pro, ran it all last year on his KTM-300 and is running it again this year on his YZ-450F.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.