Guys running 13/50 gearing on 06 450.....

15 replies to this topic
  • matts06yzf

Posted January 22, 2007 - 09:19 AM

How many Links in your chain are you running? I am going to get dealer to cut my new chain so I dont have to take bike to them. I ordered the 120 link but I know it needs to be cut so how many links to I need? Thanks soooooo much, Matt

• grayracer513

Posted January 22, 2007 - 09:35 AM

Run the chain up and over the sprockets with the rear axle loose and the chain adjuster bolts run all the way down. Move things around and test fit the chain until you figure out where it should be cut.

• Baron Von Beard

Posted January 22, 2007 - 10:08 AM

The stock chain length will work. I believe it's 114 links. When measuring like Grayracer said, make sure thqat you have two inner links touching, I've seen plenty of guys forget this and cut their brand new chain too short.

• matts06yzf

Posted January 22, 2007 - 10:14 AM

Should I tell them to do 115 to be on safe side or would that be to much just dont want to have to take it back to dealer if all possible because of drive, so while they have it just get them to cut it. If anyone has this setup please let me know

• Baron Von Beard

Posted January 22, 2007 - 10:22 AM

You can't have an odd number of links. 114 links is 57 inner links, 56 out links and one master link. Put the sprockets on, hang the stock chain on it to see if it fits (it will) and have them cut the new chain to the stock length.

• grayracer513

Posted January 22, 2007 - 10:24 AM

It can't be an odd number. A trial fit is the best way. Pay attention to the point that the Baron made re: two inner links butting together.

• Budlite

Posted January 22, 2007 - 10:28 AM

(Just to add to the confusion) or you can purchase a Honda link repair kit for about $4.00 and use the half link......sometimes the half link comes in real handy to position the rear axle closer to where you want it.

• grayracer513

Posted January 22, 2007 - 10:36 AM

(Just to add to the confusion) or you can purchase a Honda link repair kit for about $4.00 and use the half link......sometimes the half link comes in real handy to position the rear axle closer to where you want it.

In using this option, you need to be certain that the half link is compatible with the rest of the chain being used. A link made for non-sealed chains will not fit a sealed chain, and even a sealed chain link may not fit some brands of sealed chains.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Budlite

Posted January 22, 2007 - 10:40 AM

correct...I put it out there because so many people aren't even aware that there are such things as half links.......

• Ga426owner

Posted January 22, 2007 - 11:16 AM

Buy a chainbreaker and do it yourself.......this way you will know that it will not be to short:thumbsup:

• Baron Von Beard

Posted January 22, 2007 - 11:40 AM

I've always cut the chain myself. I just grind the rivets down on one side of the outer link and take the side plate off and voila, shorter chain. I've never used a chain breaker.

• grayracer513

Posted January 22, 2007 - 12:12 PM

When you can get a good, shop quality tool for $30-40, why wouldn't you? If you ever use it more than twice, it's worth having.

• Baron Von Beard

Posted January 22, 2007 - 01:04 PM

Never felt the need to buy a tool. I guess I could and it might make it a little easier, but I don't have any issues doing it the way I do, so why spend the dough when I could use it for some track fees.

• buzzgrizz

Posted January 22, 2007 - 01:13 PM

Got the Motion pro chain breaker and it is worth every cent!!!!!!!!!!!

• Ga426owner

Posted January 22, 2007 - 01:34 PM

When you can get a good, shop quality tool for $30-40, why wouldn't you? If you ever use it more than twice, it's worth having.

I think mine was 15 - 25 bucks.....takes all of 3min to break the chain down...a must have for sure...:lol:

• Budlite

Posted January 22, 2007 - 01:42 PM

Baron:
I used a bench grinder for 30 years and saw no reason to purchase a tool just to break a chain. Someone left me a present (probably by accident) out at Canyon last year--a chain breaker. I used it and guess what, I don't want to go back. It's that much easier. If it ever gets claimed, I'll go buy me one. It ranks right up there with fork seal drivers , air compressors, bench grinder, a vise, and hydraulic presses....the necessities of a garage. Not to mention my mig.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.