Removing the Starter

5 replies to this topic
  • TARFELE

Posted January 22, 2007 - 04:59 AM

I am having some starter issues and I went out the other day to take a look at the bike to see what it will take to get the starter off. It was tooo cold to actually turn any wrenches but from the looks of it it appears that I am going to have to remove the left side cover to get the starter off.

Anyone know of a shortcut way?

• msgbean

Posted January 22, 2007 - 07:06 AM

You should be able to remove the two bolts at the end of the starter and it will slide out. Take the small cover off to remove the gear. The problem is you will have to find something to plug the large hole where the starter was.

• Indy_WR450

Posted January 22, 2007 - 08:20 AM

I have done it without removing the cover. Remove the fuel tank and you can get a small 1/4" driver and 8 mm socket into the 2 rear bolts of the motor starter and pull the entire starter out. I changed one out at camp over a weekend of riding in about 20 minutes.:lol:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TARFELE

Posted January 22, 2007 - 02:01 PM

I have done it without removing the cover. Remove the fuel tank and you can get a small 1/4" driver and 8 mm socket into the 2 rear bolts of the motor starter and pull the entire starter out. I changed one out at camp over a weekend of riding in about 20 minutes.:lol:

Stop bragging! :confused:

But since you did reply, I have another question Indy. When I hit the starter sometimes in will engage and turn over other times it will just SPINNNNNNN? Is that the connecters inside?

• Indy_WR450

Posted January 22, 2007 - 02:14 PM

Sounds like the motor gear is not engaging or the torque limiter is kicking out.
I am not familiar with your issue.:confused:
Most of the time the e-start is stuck at TDC and you need to move it with the kick starter a few degrees and then hit the e-start.:lol:

• TARFELE

Posted January 22, 2007 - 02:19 PM

This just started suddenly so I think something is worn or loose. I will be taking the starter off to inspect everything. Thanks

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.