Hotcams or yz450 auto decomp???

13 replies to this topic
  • dbleon

Posted January 21, 2007 - 11:09 PM

What are the diffeences between the hotcams setup and the stock yz450 auto decomp cam? I've heard that the yz cam has different specs and will throw the valves off easily? What do you guys think?

Thanks!

• dbleon

Posted January 22, 2007 - 10:37 AM

Can anyone chime in on this?

• CAVSCOUT96

Posted January 22, 2007 - 11:11 AM

I've never heard that the hotcams will "throw the valves off." since they're designed to fit and change the characteristics of the motor. Can't see how they would be dangerous. Now, they DO make chages n te power delivery by most accounts. when I converted mine I went with the OEM WR exhaust cam as I wasn;t looking for increased power, just easier starting.

• dbleon

Posted January 22, 2007 - 12:55 PM

I didn't say the hotcams are a different spec, i said i heard the stock yz cam had different specs... Does anyone know?

• dbleon

Posted January 22, 2007 - 04:41 PM

Am I in the wrong forum on this one? Somebody has to know... right??

• CAVSCOUT96

Posted January 23, 2007 - 10:04 AM

OK,

1. the WR hotcams ARE a different Spec than the OEM WR cams

2. the YZ OEM cams ARE a different spec than the OEM WR Cams

3. the YZ hotcams are also different than the OEM WR AND YZ cams

all provide different power delivery along the curve by opening and closing the valves at the different times. I'd check the characteristcis you want ie more low, mid, top, etc etc and buy the one that best matches. NONE of the cams will hurt your bike. Theya are all designed to be used in the same motor (the YZ and WR use the same motor, but have different cam and ignition specs, etc.)

you shouldn't hurt your motor using any ofthe four cams OEM WR; HC WR; OEM YZ; HC YZ. it's all about what kind of power delivery you want

• Birdy426

Posted January 23, 2007 - 10:43 AM

The hotcams are a different grind than either the YZ or WR. Although I can only speak to using both the intake and exhaust hot cams, as that's what I have installed in my bike, they do make a huge difference. Obviously, the starting is easier, with no "routine" to go thru. Just walk up and kick it over. Same with bump starting on a downhill...you CAN! As far as power delivery, the hotcams provide about the same as a stock WR off the bottom, with a YZ like midrange hit and significantly more on top. The bike revs a lot quicker than either a YZ or WR as well. Great mod for the so cal desert, baja, or I suspect the AZ desert as well. No, neither the '03 decomp cam (either WR or YZ timing...they are different parts) nor the hotcams will hurt your motor if properly installed.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Justa4stroken

Posted January 23, 2007 - 12:30 PM

I had a 05 WR I bought a set of hotcams for and I never could get it to start with the electric start because the Decomp pin was too short. So I bought a set of 05 YZ cams and put them in and they worked great. Started with the electric start and the valves were within specs with the new cams so I didn't have to change any shims like I did with the Hotcams.
What I'm saying is I didn't have any luck with the Hotcams.

• CAVSCOUT96

Posted January 23, 2007 - 01:45 PM

dbleon-

if you meant will you have to re-shim..... that is likely. you should check your vavles anyway while you have it open, and be prepared to correct as needed regardless of which cam you install.

Sorry if I misunderstood your question

• dbleon

Posted January 23, 2007 - 04:49 PM

Thanks for the info fellas, I think I might check into each more in depth now... so it's between the yz 450 cam, and the wr or yz hot cams, what would you go with??? By the way, i love a strong midrange!

• jnybbad1l40

Posted January 23, 2007 - 05:16 PM

I had a 05 WR I bought a set of hotcams for and I never could get it to start with the electric start because the Decomp pin was too short. So I bought a set of 05 YZ cams and put them in and they worked great. Started with the electric start and the valves were within specs with the new cams so I didn't have to change any shims like I did with the Hotcams.
What I'm saying is I didn't have any luck with the Hotcams.

You must have had the YZ exhaust cam. You need to make sure to get the WR cam. It is the same grind just a longer pin for the decomp. I have the YZ HOTCAMS in my 03 WR that has the e-start removed and the WR HOTCAMS in my 06 WR and they both start and run excellent.

• ukuhunta

Posted March 05, 2007 - 07:00 PM

take one word of advice from me......the hot cams really suck......they havent worked out right for me and theres better ways to get more power for sure....out of 15 bikes i know of that tried hotcams only one of them still have them in and mine will be next to take them out and put them in the trash or ebay.....ill sell em dirt cheap.....let me know

• Leelandc

Posted March 08, 2007 - 06:45 AM

I'll buy it from ya!!

• Hot Rods

Posted March 09, 2007 - 01:12 PM

Thanks for the info fellas, I think I might check into each more in depth now... so it's between the yz 450 cam, and the wr or yz hot cams, what would you go with??? By the way, i love a strong midrange!

As far as Hot Cams:
If you have a big bore or any increase in compression, etc. use the YZ exhaust cam, for the WR (electric start)(450 only--400/426 is different)
The YZ and WR Hot Cams exhaust are EXACTLY the same cam except for the decomp pin. (the WR is shorter than the YZ) which does not affect running.
The short decomp will work for stock displacement and compression.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.