Another YZ450f or a 2007 WR?

5 replies to this topic
  • Motodiesel

Posted January 21, 2007 - 10:50 PM

I ride a 2003 YZ450f. I want an aluminum frame, and 5 gears. The question is to go with a new YZ or an 07' WR450. I mostly ride desert, with an occasional forest trip, and goto the track maybe 10 times a year. The only thing holding me back on the WR is the fact that I do ride track, and am worried the bike will feel to heavy.

Would an 07' WR450 aluminum frame feel lighter than my steel frame YZ450?
I know there is a 25lb difference, but the frame and lower center of gravity would conceivably make the WR feel lighter. Am I right, has anyone ridden both bikes?

Will the WR have significantly less/more power than my 03' YZ? I usually can't be passed on my 03' and I want to keep it that way.:lol: Will the mods make it feel like the YZ? Will I still have the low end snap on the throttle? I have ridden a few different CR450x's, and would hate to drop to that level:cool:

• Edrow

Posted January 22, 2007 - 03:54 PM

I can not speak for myself but my friend who is a mechanic at a large dealership who races on a regular basis said:

"riding I don't feel any real difference between the YZ (06) and WR (07). I notice the difference when loading the bike and picking it up"

Hope that helps.

• Kyle Prior

Posted January 22, 2007 - 05:05 PM

The 03 450 I believe isnt much lighter than my 426, and the new WRs are quite a bit lighter. Thier weight is also lower, which makes the bike feel lighter.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 06_450 Rider

Posted January 22, 2007 - 09:20 PM

Get The YZ. feels very light and nimble on the track and in the woods. Even if u go to the track 10 times a year like u said, u should get the YZ. u wouldnt be satisfied with the WR on the track. Even with the new aluminum frame on the WR it still wouldnt feel as good as the YZ. I love the YZ in the woods too!!:lol:

• TWILES

Posted January 23, 2007 - 01:41 PM

I'd get the YZ. By the time you've removed all the WR parts to get it as light as the YZ you've paid too much for a YZ with different gears and suspension settings that you'll probably change anyway.

• pkcof

Posted January 23, 2007 - 07:42 PM

WR !!
you could always mod the WR and it get close to a YZ for the track if it's that important - the rest of the time you'll appreciate the WR suspension / torque / gear ratio's / reserve fuel tap / electrics / and overall 'comfort'
... if that track IS that important, get a YZ - either way you're asking for a compromise if you want ONE bike to do a number of things

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.