so that's why it suddenly lost the top end...

10 replies to this topic
  • drzoomn

Posted January 21, 2007 - 10:31 PM

if you remember my post from a while ago regarding this....
Posted Image

turns out it was the rocker arm...
Posted Image

so anybody make fancy pants rocker? roller rockers? or is OEM the way to go?

also i think the exhaust cam lobe is damaged so i'm going to get a new one as well. any recommendations on cams? the bike is rejetted with only the factory open can instert and i don't want to go wild, but don't mind a little more juice.

• porterdog

Posted January 22, 2007 - 04:53 AM

Original thread.

I've never heard of this problem and have been reading all things 650R related for the past 4 months. OEM parts should be good; did you ever really get to a root cause?

• bork

Posted January 22, 2007 - 05:35 AM

I'd check with Rob at Barnums pro. also the arm on left is discolored, from factory heat-treatment or too hot from lack of oil? I would be willing to bet your cam under that rocker is wipped. If it is a lube problem, you better find out why before your new rebuild does the same. Can the filter be placed in backwards? Oil pump going out? etc...

• frankstr

Posted January 22, 2007 - 06:25 AM

Did that happen with a stock cam ?
Was the valve lash maintained, Running a valve lash tite over a period of time will cause that.
Too bad, :lol:

:confused: :crazy:

• drzoomn

Posted January 22, 2007 - 10:56 AM

hey porterdog, thanks for the link to the original post. from the looks of it, it looks like oil starvation. the oil was pretty low right before it happened, so i think it was just low oil and hard riding. the top end wasn't dry, so oil is getting up there.

the previous owner was not the king of maintenance, eddie prepped he bike for me for it's journey from CO to CA, and he said it had the dirtiest air filter he had ever seen :lol: i'm bad, but i'm not that bad.

i don't know if the valve lash got too tight, i didn't own the bike for very long before this happened. i will replace the cam and rockers, oil and filter and go from there.

so anyone know of fancy rockers? i can't seem to find any, only some site that tricks out OEM ones.

thank

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WY XR650L

Posted January 22, 2007 - 07:38 PM

I purchased a '99 XR650L with 2500 miles on it last summer and after a 1,000 miles my rockers and cam looked like yours. Valve adjustment was checked and oil changed at 500 mile intervals. Replaced cam, cam bearings and rockers. 300 miles latter top end noise and again, worn rockers and cam. Does the R have the braided oil line from the bottom of the frame? I read in one of the TT forums that the line can get twisted and slow oil circulation. I will be replacing the cam, cam bearings, rockers and oil pump as soon it gets warm enough in Wyoming to work in the garage. Priming the oil pump has also been mentioned to quicken the oil flow to the top end. Any one have any other ideas?

• drzoomn

Posted January 22, 2007 - 08:43 PM

interesting, i'm not sure about the braided line, but i definitely check it all over. how would you prime an oil pump?

• cleonard

Posted January 22, 2007 - 11:21 PM

I purchased a '99 XR650L with 2500 miles on it last summer and after a 1,000 miles my rockers and cam looked like yours. Valve adjustment was checked and oil changed at 500 mile intervals. Replaced cam, cam bearings and rockers. 300 miles latter top end noise and again, worn rockers and cam. Does the R have the braided oil line from the bottom of the frame? I read in one of the TT forums that the line can get twisted and slow oil circulation. I will be replacing the cam, cam bearings, rockers and oil pump as soon it gets warm enough in Wyoming to work in the garage. Priming the oil pump has also been mentioned to quicken the oil flow to the top end. Any one have any other ideas?

One thing that you can do is loosen the top oil pipe banjo bolt and check that oil leaks out when the engine is running. You should always do this at a rebuild. Mine took 90 seconds to get oil because I didn't prime.

The screen at the bottom of the frame tube can get so clogged that it stops oil flow back into the engine.

The oil pump itself can be worn to the point of not working too well.

There was a thread about priming the pump about a week ago. It was very enlightening. Here is a compressed version. After a rebuild when the oil pump is dry, sometimes the pump will not prime and pump oil. Priming is really just filling it with some oil so it can start. A long delay can cause damage that might not immediately cause an engine failure, but cause it shortly thereafter. Perhaps your 300 miles.
http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=457442

• bigtooth

Posted April 20, 2007 - 10:24 AM

Sorry to wake an old thread.....
I just got my '03 650r on the road, and was wondering if there was a way to check the oil flow to the head on the r. I own a 600 and have always used the exterior oil line that runs to the head as reassurance. Anything like that on the r that i'm missing?

• bork

Posted April 21, 2007 - 04:19 AM

It would be a good thing if someone with a new rebuild( including new oil pump) would measure flow volume by running a tube off to side into a jug and measure after 30 seconds at idle speed. BUT will probably have to have an external hand squirt can, of oil, to pump in on top of cam area to temporarily lube during test. May take two people. This would be a good bench mark for everyone down the road.

• xr500_89

Posted April 22, 2007 - 11:16 AM

check out xrs only they make "fancy rockers"

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.