Is this price fair? xr650r

11 replies to this topic
  • gchidest

Posted January 21, 2007 - 04:35 PM

I found an 2002 xr650r at a local dealership for $3300. The bike looks to be in decent shape. The chain and sprokets look to be original and are in perfect shape. Other than scratches on the plastic, it looks to have low hours on the machine. The bike has an fmf slip on and dealer does not know if the bike has been uncorked. He said they bought it at an auction. I rode it and found it handled alot better than I expected of this machine. The power was a little dissapointing but figure after some tuning it would be great. It seems to bog a big in any gear above 2nd. I figure jetting is off or carb could be dirty. The dealer said it has been sitting for a year and has the same gas in it also. Just wanted to get some opinions on what you might think it is worth. Ball park figure.:lol:

• x400r

Posted January 21, 2007 - 07:37 PM

Try to get him down alittle. Look at clutch cover and stator cover for signs of wear, this will give you an indication of real miles/hours. Also brake rotors and tires will give you an indication of use.

• frankstr

Posted January 21, 2007 - 07:54 PM

Remember, There is a asking price and a taking price, You don't know
untill you ask..

:lol: :confused:

• hypersthenos

Posted January 21, 2007 - 09:00 PM

I paid $3,700 for my '00 this spring which is a bit high. I snapped it up because it was plated here in WA which is becoming impossible plus it had very low hours & had a ton of expensive aftermarket upgrades. I don't regret it one bit. Still far less expensive than a new bike. One minor thing to check is the axle adjusters. If the dealer will allow it make sure the adjuster bolts are not seized in the swingarm. They're a real pain in the but to fix if seized.

• Maximus86

Posted January 21, 2007 - 09:27 PM

anyone notcie XR650R's have gone up in price these last 6 months?

• porterdog

Posted January 22, 2007 - 04:57 AM

Just bought a low-mi '01 for ~$2600; some mods but mostly bling. $3300 is a little steep but it's from a dealer; if they're inflexible on price talk about getting a deal on some gear or accessories 'cause some of that stuff has high margins and you can get a deal without them losing money.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gchidest

Posted January 22, 2007 - 07:15 AM

I will see if they will take less for it. I really want to get one of these bikes but don't want to buy on impulse. I have been looking for about one month now and just can't find many used ones for sale around here. They seem to keep value a little better than other off road bikes.

• porterdog

Posted January 22, 2007 - 10:58 AM

They seem to keep value a little better than other off road bikes.

There's really not anything else like it.

• rebelventurer

Posted January 22, 2007 - 04:46 PM

If you like it offer $2800, if its been sitting a year you are going to spend some time getting it right! What does the oil look like? Engine cover wear, are they really scuffed up fom someones boots? Brake rotors are they scored, discolored? Shock linkage, get the rear wheel off the ground, is there any slop in the linkage bushings? Oh, welcome to TT. These bikes are very durable to say the least, and once set up to fit you, and the type riding you do, are absolutely awesome machines. Though not the first choice for tight single track woods riding!

• gchidest

Posted January 22, 2007 - 06:17 PM

Thanks for the reply's. I was going to offer pretty low as I can always go up. The clutch and shift side cover show no signs of wear. The mechanic set the bike up on a stand and wiggled the wheels,swing arm, and front forks to show me how tight the bike was. The air filter had a small amount of dirt on it but not bad at all. The brake rotors are in good shape with no grooves and felt smooth. Looks like the pads were about 50%. I am comparing the pads to my cr250.
I felt the price was a little high also, but the dealer said he would work with me. I have a 87 250 rebel I will be trading in on the deal most likely and the salesmans eyes lit up. He said tons of women are looking for these little street bikes. I have a pretty good friend that works at this dealership so I know they can be trusted although they do have a reputation of being high priced. Other than being ripped on by my friends about choosing an xr650r (they say I'm a fool and should get a crf450x) I think if the dealer comes down $500, I will have to buy it.

• porterdog

Posted January 23, 2007 - 04:09 PM

Other than being ripped on by my friends about choosing an xr650r (they say I'm a fool and should get a crf450x) I think if the dealer comes down $500, I will have to buy it.

LOL, when one of those guys grenades an engine or tranny you can survey the damage and whistle softly, "Damn, wish I had one of those."

• gchidest

Posted January 23, 2007 - 04:20 PM

Exactly!!!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.