02 XR400 for 02 YZ426F

4 replies to this topic
  • Bridge250R

Posted January 20, 2007 - 09:54 PM

I just received an offer to trade my XR 400 which I love for a YZ426F. I love tight singletrack riding and have never been on a motorcross track. I seem to be spending my riding time these days putting around in first gear with my wife who is new to riding. Is there any good reason why I should trade?

• Terrain Rider 4z

Posted January 20, 2007 - 10:46 PM

Probably not if you are into just putting around. If I were into casual putting around I would be happier on my old XR600, but the 426 allows you to pick up the pace a bit. XRs are great bikes and plunking trails is there specialty. What would you be hoping to gain by moving to the YZ?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jekel

Posted January 21, 2007 - 09:14 AM

I would look at why this other person is willing to trade? With the YZ you will have many different options to improve performance and race capability you won't have with the XR. Both bikes are a specialty for what they are ridden for and I would look into the reasons for the trade offer.

• Tobyforlife

Posted January 21, 2007 - 11:18 AM

Both bikes are bulletproof, with that said about a 20lbs weight savings, with the YZ. I have the '02 and enjoy it just as much as my '06. Plus you gain liquid cooling.

• Phatjonny

Posted January 22, 2007 - 09:33 AM

If you are happy with your XR then stay with it. I ride trails about 90% of the time and ride them on a 2000 426. It does fine, however I deffinitely prefer riding something built for the trails (better gearing etc.). YZs are good bikes, but were designed for the track, not the trails...

Related Content

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.