07 YZF 450 Hi/ Lo Compression settings?

4 replies to this topic
  • yamahadrz

Posted January 20, 2007 - 08:36 PM

07 YZF 450 Hi/ Lo Compression settings?
What is the lo compression and what is the hi compression settings on the shock for? Low speed and Hi speed? I am unsure what they each accomplish.
I have sag set at 3.5" and weigh 175. Where is a good start point to set suspension on both hi/ lo and also rebound?

Thank you-

• Bigcr

Posted January 20, 2007 - 08:39 PM

Start with what the manual recommends (don't trust the bike from your dealer) for clicker settings with 100mm of sag. I've found that the stock stuff needs the rebound cranked in a bit.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mike McCutcheon

Posted January 20, 2007 - 09:01 PM

Check your owner's manual. It's pretty informative and will explain the difference between high and low speed compression. I've got an 07 450. I set my sag at 100mm and raised the forks 10mm in the clamps but so far the valving seems pretty close. A friend of mine has one also, weighs 178, and did the same to his. These bikes are really good right out of the box.

• red7

Posted January 20, 2007 - 10:26 PM

Check your owner's manual. It's pretty informative and will explain the difference between high and low speed compression. I've got an 07 450. I set my sag at 100mm and raised the forks 10mm in the clamps but so far the valving seems pretty close. A friend of mine has one also, weighs 178, and did the same to his. These bikes are really good right out of the box.

Did you first try raising your forks 5mm or did you go right to 10mm? I'm just curious because everyone recommends 5mm and I've been happy with mine there but haven't thought of trying out 10mm.

• Mike McCutcheon

Posted January 21, 2007 - 01:44 PM

I tried 5mm first and it helped, but since I was coming off of a 2005 RMZ 450 the YZ was still not as quick a turning bike, but alot more stable at speed. Honestly, I'm not sure 5mm more made too much difference. We've had bad weather here so my track time has been limited to try less sag (95mm) like some of the magazines recommend. Sure like this bike though!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.