Securing a Dual Sport XR650R

12 replies to this topic
  • philipstjohn

Posted January 20, 2007 - 06:01 PM

I know you can get a key switch to be able to start the bike, but that seems an easy way for those in the know to hot wire to be able to kick start and ride off? Any suggestions on how to protect the BRP when at the local gorcery store?

• Boy named sue

Posted January 20, 2007 - 06:03 PM

put a disc lock on it only takes a second and will fit in your jacket pocket

• CTXr650L

Posted January 20, 2007 - 06:13 PM

disc locks work real well, just dont forget to take it off, one of my buddys forgot and ended up face planting in the parking lot when he pulled away :lol: . was actually kinda funny to see, too bad it broke his brake caliper right off the bike

• InternalCombustion

Posted January 20, 2007 - 08:33 PM

I have the same concern about my DS R. I am not worried about someone hot-wiring the ignition, as much as I am having some just picking it up and throwing in a pickup.

I've been thinking about one of those disc locks that have a motion-sensing alarm built in. They're a hundred bucks but short of a logging chain around a telephone pole I think that's the next best thing.

I won't park my R where I cannot watch it.

• F15EAGLE

Posted January 21, 2007 - 03:52 AM

They're a hundred bucks but short of a logging chain around a telephone pole I think that's the next best thing.

I won't park my R where I cannot watch it.

Logging chain around a telephone pole won't work either, knew of a case where this guy parked his bike in front of the door of the bar he was going into put a hefty chain through rear wheel/swing arm and around a telephone pole.....idiots drove up cut the pole into lifted the bike into the back of the truck and was gone b4 the owner just inside the bar knew it was gone....If they want they will get it....yee just gotta make it harder....

Best Regards,

Wylie S.

• philipstjohn

Posted January 21, 2007 - 05:06 AM

Logging chain around a telephone pole won't work either, knew of a case where this guy parked his bike in front of the door of the bar he was going into put a hefty chain through rear wheel/swing arm and around a telephone pole.....idiots drove up cut the pole into lifted the bike into the back of the truck and was gone b4 the owner just inside the bar knew it was gone....If they want they will get it....yee just gotta make it harder....

Best Regards,

Wylie S.

I think we all understand if they want it, they will get it if they are pros. My question is how to make it harder. The disc lock w/alarm sounds like it would work in many situations, but they can still lift it into a truck with the alarm going and take off if they really want it too. This has been a hard one for me. I love this bike more then most of my toys, and as hard as it was to get it titled in Florida, I can not feel comfortable leaving it unattended at this point. Any other hot tickets out there? Anyone using something they really feel strong about?:lol:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MindBlower

Posted January 21, 2007 - 07:29 AM

How much, how loud, and where do you get the locks with alarms? :lol:

• InternalCombustion

Posted January 21, 2007 - 08:35 AM

How much, how loud, and where do you get the locks with alarms? :lol:

I think the brand is "Xena". The models range from about 60 bucks up to maybe 120 bucks depending on leve of sophistication and finish.

Most of the models crank out at least 110 dB.

Like anything else, a good ebay retailer can cut those prices 10-20%. The TT store may even sell them.

Let us know what you decide.

• 2XR650s

Posted January 21, 2007 - 09:41 AM

What about one of those satelite locator units people can buy and hide in a valuable, and if it is stolen the police can track it by a signal it gives off showing its new location. I am not sure where to get them, but the police around here put them in air compressors and other things and leave them in the back of a truck.Then as soon as somebody makes off with it the police can track it and make an arrest.I use a front disc lock, but if someone wanted a bike they could get it. At least with one of those units it would never be a total loss.

• BlueBayou

Posted January 21, 2007 - 10:13 AM

I am not sure where to get them, but the police around here put them in air compressors and other things and leave them in the back of a truck.Then as soon as somebody makes off with it the police can track it and make an arrest.

Wouldn't that be entrapment?

• drtlvr

Posted January 21, 2007 - 10:30 AM

heres what you need,this thing tells you when you bike is being tampered with.
www.alibaba.com
if your really worried about it you could always buy a yamaha(lol)

Attached Thumbnails

• alarm.jpg

• porterdog

Posted January 21, 2007 - 11:09 AM

Just like burglary, the best way to defend yourself is to make your stuff more of a hassle than the next guy's. My plan is threefold-

1. Key switch.
2. Coiled steel cable that I can use to fasten the bike to some solid object liken a light pole or streetsign.
3. Padlock to fasten the cable, run through the disk.

Like these guys are saying- if a pro wants it, he'll get it. Just make it tough on him and likely he'll move on.

• Chopp

Posted January 21, 2007 - 09:40 PM

Wouldn't that be entrapment?

No it would be good proactive police work. Entrapment would be something like a cop saying to a guy "yeah go ahead and steal that bike, I won't say anything.." and then promptly arresting/charging the guy for it.

Good thread, I am also looking for some good lock system to secure my BRP.

drtlvr I couldn't find that lock on that site, does the key vibrate or ring if your lock is tampered with? Any other similar locks like that out there? That is what I want, then I could run out and deal with the thief -

Booyakasha!!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.