xr650 L case saver?

22 replies to this topic
  • CTXr650L

Posted January 20, 2007 - 05:43 PM

anyone know who makes a case saver for the "L" pig? :lol: id like to replace that plastic piece of crap before something bad happens.

• Boston Mangler

Posted January 20, 2007 - 08:19 PM

No One!

I am in the process of trying to have some nice ones made! I will post up my results soon!

Here is the thread

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=459846

• platterdr

Posted January 21, 2007 - 08:30 AM

I believe Summers racing has what you are looking for srcinc.net item #0805

• Boston Mangler

Posted January 21, 2007 - 09:05 AM

I believe Summers racing has what you are looking for srcinc.net item #0805

Nice Find! I would like to see more pictures of it though.

That is for the right side where the brake lever is.

The vulnerable area is where the shift lever contacts the engine case!

• platterdr

Posted January 21, 2007 - 12:54 PM

Nice Find! I would like to see more pictures of it though.

That is for the right side where the brake lever is.

The vulnerable area is where the shift lever contacts the engine case!

I no,that is where mine is epoxy patched:cry:

• motomonte

Posted January 21, 2007 - 05:05 PM

this has been adressed before,some guys have come with some ideas like epoxing a cut piece of sheet metal to disperse the blow over a larger area of the case.the sizes range from a quarter sized piece to some inches long.i've come with this shape and it's been proven (tough the hard way) : Posted Image

• CTXr650L

Posted January 21, 2007 - 05:32 PM

i was actually referring to the piece that bolts to the engine infront of the sprocket to prevent the chain from blasting through in the event of a failure or derailment. but the side case protection is on my list too and i think i will going something like you did there motomonte :lol:

• trxxr

Posted January 21, 2007 - 05:56 PM

Then you want this part:

http://www.xrsonly.c...emart&Itemid=77

• DockingPilot

Posted January 22, 2007 - 07:36 AM

I have the XR's Only one on mine. In red.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted January 22, 2007 - 09:09 AM

Anyone running the stock sprocket cover ever actually damage the cases?

Dave

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • frankiewhipit

Posted January 22, 2007 - 12:58 PM

8,700 MILES, NOT YET:thumbsup:

• goblin127

Posted January 22, 2007 - 01:15 PM

I'm kind of doughtfull that it is going to happen.

• rebelventurer

Posted January 22, 2007 - 01:39 PM

I have the xrs only case saver, mine is also red. And no one ever thought the shifter would knock a hole in the stator/flywheel cover either.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted January 22, 2007 - 04:18 PM

I'm just looking for stats, I'm sure the chain can whip quite a bit if it comes off.

My sprocket cover usually has a perfect matching mud-mold in it.

Dave

• Boston Mangler

Posted January 22, 2007 - 05:43 PM

Then you want this part:

http://www.xrsonly.c...emart&Itemid=77

That may help the chaing, but i am looking to prevent the shift lever hitting the side of the case.

• CTXr650L

Posted January 22, 2007 - 07:50 PM

I'm kind of doughtfull that it is going to happen.

i had it happen on my 82 xt550... hole is big enough to see the clutch basket. so yeah it can happen...

• motomonte

Posted January 23, 2007 - 07:23 PM

IT DOES HAPPENS:foul: Actually twice.The first time with only 400mi on my bike.I had to take the case apart and had it welded(time and $$$)the second time i just epoxied it cause it didn't broke thru.There would have been a third but then i had the plate already fixed on:p That side of the engine seems to be weaker than the brake side wich happens to have some ribs maybe for reinforcement.It's so weak that it actually broke in a tip over in my garage.As for a thrown chain luckily I haven't had it occured to me but i saw the damage it can cause in a budie's bike:eek: I just won't let the chain get to that point of stretching/wear to let it happen.Those few extra miles out of a chain can get expensive...

• DGXR

Posted January 24, 2007 - 04:40 PM

My chain tried to jump off a couple weeks ago, I heard this loud "crunch" sound and my bike jerked backward like I broke a tranny gear. On closer inspection, the chain tried to ride up on the c/s sprocket and in the process chewed into the steel case saver guard that goes around the c/s sprocket (Honda OEM fiche calls it a "chain guide") and bent the top mounting bolt. The bent bolt was not obvious but I know my bike well and noticed it right away. Fortunately no damage was done (other than some minor gouges in the case saver) so I got a new bolt from the on-site parts shack, straightened out the case saver and put it all back together. Turns out that my chain was way too loose and way too dry. I adjusted it up a couple notches on the snails and gave it a good lube, seems to run better than ever. Other than replacing the chain before it gets way too old and stretched, it seems the only thing one can do to prevent this from happening is keep the chain properly adjusted and well lubricated.

• Jman955i

Posted January 24, 2007 - 06:43 PM

with proper chain maintence your chain will not jump. I have been racing all types of chain driven vehicles and never once had a problem. just take time out before you go for a ride or after you come back and check your bike over.10 to 15 mins is all you need.

• DGXR

Posted January 26, 2007 - 10:32 AM

with proper chain maintence your chain will not jump. I have been racing all types of chain driven vehicles and never once had a problem. just take time out before you go for a ride or after you come back and check your bike over.10 to 15 mins is all you need.

WORD! :ride:

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.